DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

Well I preordered 2K23 and really hope I'm not a fool when I start playing it.  There seems to be enough welcome features and graphical upgrades to make it worthwhile.  The big test will be gameplay as it wasn't the best on last year's version.

I’ve heard mostly good things about 2k22.  I was planning to buy it, but never got around to it and eventually decided to just wait for ‘23.  I’m not really feeling a need to buy a new wrestling game, but I haven’t bought a WWE game since SVR ‘06 and WWE is really the only option that appeals to me anymore, so it’s probably worth the money.  I was a big fan of the import wrestling games back in the day, but don’t have a lot of desire to go back to Fire Pro or King of Colosseum.

I am curious about the AEW game, so I’ll at least check out reviews but so far my interest level is kinda low.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

Per tradition, WWE 2K23 will receive several post-launch DLC superstar packs that will bolster the already large roster with even more playable wrestlers. 2K has unveiled the contents of all five packs, revealing a number of top stars from Raw, Smackdown, and NXT, as well as legends.

The first pack hits in April, roughly a month after 2K23’s launch, and will release every month through the end of the summer. Combined, the packs will add 24 superstars. Each bundle can be purchased individually and will be rolled out to season pass holders (which comes included with the Deluxe and Icon Editions of the game). Check out the contents of each pack below. 

Steiner Row Pack - April 19

Scott Steiner
Rick Steiner
Ashante "Thee" Adonis
Top Dolla
B-Fab (non-playable manager)

Pretty Sweet Pack - May 17

Karl Anderson
Luke Gallows
Tiffany Stratton
Elton Prince
Kit Wilson

Race to NXT - June 14

Harley Race
Ivy Nile
Wendy Choo
Tony D’Angelo
Trick Williams

Revel with Wyatt - July 19

Bray Wyatt
Zeus
Valhalla
Joe Gacy
Blaire Davenport

Bad News U - August 16

Eve Torres
Wade Barrett
Damon Kemp
Andre Chase 
Nathan Frazer

I preordered the icon version of 2k23. All of the enhancements have me intrigued. I actually really enjoyed 2k22 for what it was. I'm not sure we'll get a WWE roster that strong in a game again given a lot of that was developed pre AEW acquisitions. Might give that some farewell hours this weekend. 

Did GCW just name a show that first or something? Where does "fight forever" actually originate?

I had thought it was just a (vaguely cringe) chant that occurred spontaneously during the Zayn vs Nakamura NXT match. It did seem a bit strange for AEW to coopt the phrase for their game name on that basis.

It's presumably going to have to come out way later in the year and even more out of date anyway now, to avoid getting swallowed up by the seemingly competent WWE 2k23

2k23 having some rudimentary custom AI logic and more detailed difficulty tuning settings definitely has me interested (if they in fact actually do anything, which isn't guaranteed with this series).

4 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Did GCW just name a show that first or something? Where does "fight forever" actually originate?

I had thought it was just a (vaguely cringe) chant that occurred spontaneously during the Zayn vs Nakamura NXT match. It did seem a bit strange for AEW to coopt the phrase for their game name on that basis.

I believe indie crowds have been chanting it longer than that, although I don't really follow the indies so I could be misinformed.

I'm curious, though, whether GCW is claiming they own the trademark on "Fight forever" or that the phrase is not trademarkable.

I don’t know the origin but I remember it as a chant during an exciting athletic segment usually towards the second half of a match. Less if a “I hope X wins” and more of a “I’m having a lot of fun watching X and Y wrestle”. GCW used it as an event name during COVID to support wrestlers. Good name for the show, because it was used as a supportive cheer.

I like the name of the game. I thought they’d go after a show or event like AEW Dynamite. Hopefully everything gets settled and we can get the game soon. I want an AEW game to play on my Switch Lite before bed. 

One of the people involved with the original Fight Forever show mentioned on Twitter that both sides were already talking but the suit was just a natural progression. GCW just wants to be able to use the name for another show in the future. It's just negations at this point apparently. 

Early access for me starts tomorrow at midnight.  I have it installed so will just wait until the morning.  I'm assuming those in Japan are able to get into now hence some of the details coming out.  I still can't believe I got the icon pack but figure I'd be spending on the bells and whistles anyway.  Might as well pay upfront instead of doing separate purchases.

EDIT:  Holy shit this is a massive addition.  I know it's not Fire Pro but the ability to change logic is huge.  I can see this being most effective when using universe and maybe GM mode too.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Early access for me starts tomorrow at midnight.  I have it installed so will just wait until the morning.  I'm assuming those in Japan are able to get into now hence some of the details coming out.  I still can't believe I got the icon pack but figure I'd be spending on the bells and whistles anyway.  Might as well pay upfront instead of doing separate purchases.

EDIT:  Holy shit this is a massive addition.  I know it's not Fire Pro but the ability to change logic is huge.  I can see this being most effective when using universe and maybe GM mode too.

Fuck. I doubt they included it, but this is so good that it necessitates downloading rosters or roster updates from others like you can with something like MLB The Show.

Not going to lie. IF you can download rosters or even just AI updates from others, I will buy this on day one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Who’s the guy?

The owner and booker of GCW, Brett Lauderdale.

But I’m pretty sure it came out that he bought box seats to WrestleMania for him and some of the GCW regulars, and apparently Stephanie and Triple H always go around the box seats and meet with the people who bought those tickets. Some dirt sheet said that, maybe SRS or Meltzer. I can’t remember.

• Thanks 2

I'm a mark and bought WWE 2K23. I will say that it feels less like the game engine is just playing the game for you this time around, but I'm still not thrilled with the combo system. I'd like more agency over every move my wrestler does and the combo system, and I guess the grappling system, takes way too much agency away from the player and makes moves feel totally random. When I play a wrestling game, I want to choose every move I'm doing because there's a rhyme and a reason for it. This shit where the game basically picks the move for you is lame.

Messed around with GM mode and that seems neat. I never played GM mode before. The graphics are insane too. And the pace of the matches works for me.

I watched a couple minutes of a stream while on a conference call. I'm hoping to knock out a couple hours after work. Are they forcing the timing meter on falls this year? I quickly switched to the button mash meter fill kick out on last year's version. 

23 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I watched a couple minutes of a stream while on a conference call. I'm hoping to knock out a couple hours after work. Are they forcing the timing meter on falls this year? I quickly switched to the button mash meter fill kick out on last year's version. 

The meter can be changed in settings though I only used it one time and it seemed fine enough.  We'll see how it goes as I play this more.

The gameplay feels similar yet oddly a bit better.  And I also liked the little things in commentary when Jey Uso beat Roman.  It won't be like this across the board but when things like that are mentioned it's nice.  I played this during lunch break but unless work is ungodly slow I think I'll play more when I clock out.