DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

I said it on another board, but if WCW/nWo Revenge had all the features that WWF No Mercy would eventually get, it’d be my #1 pick.

But my real pick is King of Colosseum. It lived up to the hype I created in my head for it for all these years.

• Like 2

I agree with Casey's Revenge/No Mercy argument re: sim-style wrestling games.

When it comes to arcade-style wrestling, Wrestlefest is the king. I don't get the people who think that Superstars is the better game. Both Technos WWF games are great, but Wrestlefest is better.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I agree with Casey's Revenge/No Mercy argument re: sim-style wrestling games.

When it comes to arcade-style wrestling, Wrestlefest is the king. I don't get the people who think that Superstars is the better game. Both Technos WWF games are great, but Wrestlefest is better.

Saturday Night Slam Masters on SNES almost made up for Super WrestleMania/Royal Rumble/RAW being trash

If anyone still has old Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium SRAMS (or if there's any you're looking for), PM me

Edited by Dolphman 3000

Super Fire Pro Wrestling Queen's Special system

Introduced the Hammer through return, reintroduced again in Fire Pro Wrestling S Six Men Scramble.

The sharp system was if you received a specific technique, you would be mentally upset and heat up. The movement (logic) of the  CPU-operated players changes when they are mad, and some players also experience changes in their recovery speed. It cools down after a certain amount of time has passed after the mental snapping, and the CPU logic and the physical strength recovery  speed then returns to normal.

The subdivision of avalanche techniques.

Simplification of critical systems, so there are players who can simply perform critical hits and players who cannot. 

• Like 1

I don’t know the controls at all, but I got All Star Pro Wrestling 3 on the SteamDeck and had a fun little 12 minute match between Yoshihiro Takayama and Masato Tanaka.

I like the engine Square has for this. It’s a shame it never came to America in any wrestling games that I’m aware of, but at that time arcadey stuff like Here Comes the Pain was too popular so I get it I guess.

On 5/4/2022 at 6:12 AM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

A 50 person roster is going to be met with some disappointment. 40ish men and 10ish women probably? Bunch of fun people being left out. Oh well, if the game play is there I'll be happy.

If they can do a steady roll out of free DLC with new wrestlers similar to EA Sports UFC, that could work. Like from I recall, EA Sports UFC routinely added new fighters and features to their first UFC game as free updates. If it's a bunch of monetized BS, then f this s, I'm out.

I would love to play a Square-developed pro wrestling game.

Neat idea to put all the moves on the dual sticks, too. It's a good-looking game even 22 years later.

Pre-merger Squaresoft was such an interesting company. 

51 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I would love to play a Square-developed pro wrestling game.

Neat idea to put all the moves on the dual sticks, too. It's a good-looking game even 22 years later.

Pre-merger Squaresoft was such an interesting company. 

Assuming you’re talking about what I mentioned: the only thing I’m not thrilled about is that the career mode is limited to CAWs. It seems like the roster is missing some bigger names from the three companies involved, too. But yeah overall I enjoy it a lot. The physics seem way better than it has any right to be for a PS2 game, too.

Unrelated, but I’ve been watching Pulse play Here Comes the Pain so I gave that a shot again after decades of not playing it. That shit is harder than I remember, or maybe it’s because I’m not playing on a DualShock 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Uno said recently that they plan to support the game for a few years with regular DLC updates. Not just adding wrestlers, either. It was in an interview with SRS at some convention.

I am always wary when this is the plan with a non-live services game as if the DLC is free they quickly realize there is no longer enough money coming in from new purchases to justify the staff needed for that, and if paid they often realize there still isn't enough money coming in for anything substantial.

This isn't to say that they are lying or don't intend to do this, I've just seen several times where this was the intention and financial realities more or less wrecked them.

• Like 2

Fire Pro on Wonderswan information

It used to have operating online. The management of promotions mode is interesting. The roster and the rings are from the year 2000 era of Wrestling and MMA. No tag or Battle Royal modes. No ref in ring. It's based on SFPWPX but includes extra moves from FP6MS and Fire Pro G.

I’ve played Just Bring It and Here Comes the Pain recently (and watched Pulse play some SvR) and I’ve realized that I much prefer the N64 WWF/WCW games with the AKI engine, or Virtual Pro, or the 2K series… basically anything that’s not arcadey, because it’s just not my jam anymore. I did a 7 minute Misawa/Dr. Death match in VPW2 last night that felt more like an actual match than anything I’ve ever done in the THQ WWE games.

• Like 2

VPW2 has the best flow for tag team matches.  You can do an hour broadway and not be pulling punches on the CPU to get them to cooperate.  You can manually do doomsday device double teams.  The dives are awesome and you can go diagonally.  Submissions off.  They always suck.  Me and Tenryu went through everybody on that game.  Fucking great game.

ASPW III has the best looking blood.  Weird grappling system.  Never could get the Tiger suplex from the ramp to the floor to work.

My only real gripe with KOC II is the limited and overall shitty head choices.  You also have to really pinch the tip to get a solid match from the CPU.  The striking is just as exploitable as FPW.  Also, there's only one arena that doesn't have slowdown on tag matches.   Me and Jun Akiyama still have legendary beef.  Multiple appearances, multiple movesets:  any game still do that?  I could have my main look, then me in Hart Foundation gear with 5MOD and Bulldog stalling suplex, then my faux Super Junior version from SFPWX PREMIUM in 2003. 

HCTP had insanely robust wrestler appearance options.  I remember many moons ago printing out big 5 page detailed coordinates for a Big Boss Man and when I was done it looked fucking amazing.  It wasn't ultra limited to keep you from making naked people and other babyproofing bullshit.

I played WWF 2022 and the create a wrestler was a sucky ballache.  It didn't even let me pick my moves.  Gameplay was feeling like a bag o' assholes.  A bag of assholes that had gone bad.  Like, I'm googling "WWE 2K22 how do i get up".  NOT OK.

HCTP had Poetry in Motion too.  Problem was everybody got so gotdamn good at the reversals that head to head matches was just dudes spinning around 'til one guy lost concentration.  I also remember there being a Y2J kick that had high cheese factor.

Shit sucks.  I ain't wanted to make funny CAWs like Vigo and Brock Sampson in over 15 years.  Shit used to be great and you'd be doing 4 player 100 man royal rumbles on No Mercy and some dude's dad would run out and he had legit "AW SHIT" credibility where you don't know what you did but he was really hard to beat. 

On Fire Pro World I really hate how you have to fuck around manually placing any downloaded wrestlers.  Also seems like most shit nowadays requires you to have a bunch of mods first.  I don't want to fuck around with it even if it's easy.  Just don't care.  FP2 on GBA is still the greatest one they did.

• Like 4

My favourite wrestling game is WCW vs the World. I know there are much better games, but when World came out my only exposure to wrestling games were the various WWF NES/Super NES games, that one WCW NES game, and stuff like Saturday Night Slammasters and Pro Wrestling.

I had never heard of Firepro, so it was the first game I played where there were wrestlers from other promotions. Even with the fake names, it absolutely blew my mind that was possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have been playing Fire Pro Wrestling World with the NJPW DLC. It has a story mode called Fighting Road, essentially a young lion to Wrestle Kingdom journey consisting of matches interspersed with exp levelling and visual novel-y segments. I was aghast at the idea of having to adopt a CAW from scratch for this mode, then ended up enjoying the added creative control you get when you've actually memorised your character's moveset for once.

I eventually dropped it because at the end of the day it's a lot of matches using the same character and the CPU difficulty wasn't offering much challenge, but the highlight for me was this inexplicable introduction when Gedo showed up:

Spoiler

'remarkable ability to take a hit'

Sorry if this has been brought up previously (I went back a couple pages), but is there a firm release date for Fight Forever yet? Got the kids a Switch for Xmas. My son saw an ad for FF and is stoked! 

The latest 2K game is up on PS Plus, so I streamed it. These games got WORSE after Yuke's was fired, my goodness. They feel terrible, like moving in mud, and all the little animations where a wrestler is staggering or selling get in the way of movement feeling good or the game feeling responsive. I got to hit a Jackknife on Brian Kendrick, which I did, got my three count, and then deleted the app off my home screen.