DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

27 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Thing is, if creative control was one of the big contention points, why would they go to WWE where they're guaranteed not to have creative control. 

With WWE it is a much bigger stage. It is easier to give control to them than a glorified indy that can barely pay its bills. 

I really hope the whole Broken storyline doesn't get tied up in legal hell. It would really suck if all this time and effort was put into the storyline and characters for them to just go out with a whimper or disappear into the sunset with the epic blowoff it properly deserves.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this is just posturing from TNA/Anthem waiving their dicks around until it's revealed that they all have teeny wangers and no legal legs to stand on. The last year of TNA being complete chaos I would be shocked if any paperwork was drafted regarding the legal status of the characters at all.

EDIT: also goddamn if they end up working out a return to WWE in time, having Bray Wyatt win at Wrestlemania and then having a victory speech addressing his followers on Smackdown Live, only for the lights to go out and have the sound of Broken Matt going "ah, ha hahaha hahaha haaaaahhh" and showing up on the Titantron to challenge Bray would be a license to print money asap.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

if they end up working out a return to WWE in time, having Bray Wyatt win at Wrestlemania and then having a victory speech addressing his followers on Smackdown Live, only for the lights to go out and have the sound of Broken Matt going "ah, ha hahaha hahaha haaaaahhh" and showing up on the Titantron to challenge Bray would be a license to print money asap.

Reveal that Lita is Sister Abigail. Off to the races they go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Victator said:

With WWE it is a much bigger stage. It is easier to give control to them than a glorified indy that can barely pay its bills. 

Actually the fact that they're a public company and a bigger stage is precisely why they won't give them creative control. 

But anyway, Anthem shit the bed on this unfortunately.

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

All I want for Christmas is the word

DELETE

to appear on the Titantron on the Raw after Mania when new Universal Champion Brock Lesnar cuts his promo. 

People would lose their shit.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Newest story up from Pro Wrestling Sheet is that the Hardys and TNA are now fighting over who owns the gimmick rights

It's clear that Ryan Satin's source is either Matt, Jeff or their attorney

I find it somewhat difficult to believe that Matt would've gone full bore with the Broken gimmick without some guarantee that he owned all of the IP.

All of that shit came straight out of his head.  I can believe that TNA Creative had no parts of that gimmick other than assisting with production.

The evidence that Matt was the one bargaining from the position of strength was the lack of a no-compete clause.  If I were Anthem and I was signing a gimmick that hot, a no-compete would be the first thing we discussed.

Meltzer has said/implied that the Hardys own the gimmick outright.  That's been the sticking point with them and WWE - creative control.  Frankly, I'm surprised they're apparently considering going to the 'E.   Meltzer has said they don't really want to give up creative control over their characters and they already seem to sell a lot of merch at indy shows (and don't have to share the profits).

Interesting to see how Matt fares in the WWE.  When he was released from the WWE years ago, Meltzer said he owed the last few years of paychecks to the WWE wanting to keep Jeff happy.  And Matt basically forced the company to fire him by bashing them publicly every chance he got and doing various embarrassing things - apparently a deliberate move on his part to cause enough trouble the company would release him from his contract.  Granted, that was about the time his drug problem seemed to be out of control, still....

I don't have a lot of faith a return to the WWE would be half as much fun for fans or for them than than the last year or two have been, but we'll see....

Also bummed about Galloway.  TNA is getting kinda short on wrestlers I really want to watch.  There's Lashley, Eli Drake, and.... that may be it.  Fortunately, Lashley supposedly isn't going to consider going back to the WWE untill part-time MMA is no longer an option for him.

• Like 1

On last night's radio show - Dave said the big sticking point became that TNA wanted control over booking their indie dates and a percentage of the money they made on those indie dates and the Hardys were like "fuck that"

Dave said that he believes that Matt wanted a large say in creative - not just over the Hardy stuff but in TNA. Obviously that went to Jarrett instead.

The Hardys were willing to show up at the tapings and wrap up their story. TNA wanted them to sign a short term contract and the Hardys didn't want to do that.

Basically (like LU) - TNA wanted them to be locked up until all the TV had aired and the Hardys didn't want to be on the shelf for like 3 months

Per Meltzer - the character dispute is: Matt created the Broken character but since it debuted on TNA TV - TNA believes they own the rights to it

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - the character dispute is: Matt created the Broken character but since it debuted on TNA TV - TNA believes they own the rights to it

Doesn't matter what they believe.  It matters what's expressed in the contract and what a judge will think of that clause.

The dangerous thing is that TNA will obviously try to be dicks about this and use an injunction to kill the heat for the gimmick until a court can figure things out..

As much as it sucks to see them go, the bright side is that it will free up a bunch of money that Jarrett can use to go after new talent, which he's shown an ability to do. 

Is it a loss? Absolutely. And the incompetence is typical TNA. 

But the Hardys are in their 40's and would be valuable for another year TOPS. If they use the money to build a foundation of younger guys, it won't be a complete loss.

Its interesting that Jarrett is going in a completely opposite direction than Corgan would have. Corgan was on record that he sees the business going in direction where talent has a lot more control and truly are independent contractors. Jeff Jarrett, son of Jerry Jarrett from Tenneseee, is far from that line of thinking. 

Also, I am loving the idea/fantasy of someone showing the Broken Hardy stuff to Adult Swim and them getting on board with a Broken Hardy style reboot of OMEGA, maybe bringing in Ryback as lead heel who tries to pervert the family by teaching them "The Secret"

I would also be curious if Lucha Underground is trying to reach out also since they are supposedly coming back for Season 4 tapings later this year. If they are willing to pay the Hardys enough to make it worthwhile, that honestly seems like the best bet for both porting over the Broken style storyline and gimmicks as well as giving them freedom to keep milking everything in the indies.

17 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Also, I am loving the idea/fantasy of someone showing the Broken Hardy stuff to Adult Swim and them getting on board with a Broken Hardy style reboot of OMEGA, maybe bringing in Ryback as lead heel who tries to pervert the family by teaching them "The Secret"

Rebooting OMEGA and putting it online is probably the best thing to do IF their plan is to keep the party going.

Both of those guys are in their forties which is like ninety in wrestler years.  It might not be a bad idea to go to the WWE, take advantage of a huge debut while the gimmick still sells, feud with and job out to the Wyatts, and ride off into the sunset with as much money as you can carry.

Matt can barely move in the ring anymore.  Especially after he's taken a few bumps, he starts moving REAL gingerly.

I feel like the Hardys in WWE would be amazing the first night and then just die a slow death after that.

10 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I want the Hardys in Lucha Underground, er, I mean Subterranean Lucha. Please. I'm begging for this. 

I'd keep them as far away from LU as possible.  If they have issues with TNA claiming ownership imagine what LU (particularly Dorian Roidan and the AAA side) would do about it.  One only need go to the Lucha thread to see just how ugly it gets.  Knowing how they do it they would patent King Maxell if they could just to be dicks.

44 minutes ago, EVA said:

I feel like the Hardys in WWE would be amazing the first night and then just die a slow death after that.

I'd give it two months before they feud with each other, Jeff wins the blowoff and becomes a main event gatekeeper, and Matt's  doing angles with Ellsworth. 

Thing about the Hardy gimmick is they don't actually need to do matches, yes? Matt's shtick is basically endless at this point, and shtick goes a long way in wrestling even if you can't perform at your heights anymore.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Thing about the Hardy gimmick is they don't actually need to do matches, yes? Matt's shtick is basically endless at this point, and shtick goes a long way in wrestling even if you can't perform at your heights anymore.

True, but does Jeff even know how to work a match without cringe-inducing bumps?  Does he want to.  Jeff was taking dumb bumps on steel steps as recent as the Hardy feud that led to the Broken Matt character.  I feel like Matt could make a living off character work and extend his career for awhile.  Jeff?  Not sure.  I'm kinda amazed Jeff has held up for this long (he probably is too.  For that matter, Matt, Edge, and Christian are probably speechless at the thought).

Kinda agree that the Hardys would probably do big business in the WWE for a month or two, then becoming slowly irrelevant.  I cringe at the idea of the skits that would result from the WWE brain trust trying to write comedy bits for Broken Matt.  Ugh....