DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Even though the tertiary players were never under deals, are we 100% sure that TNA doesn't have any rights to the intellectual property created by someone under contract to them, like Senor Benjamin?

I would hope that wouldn't be an issue.  But the Hardys better thank the Seven Dieties that Dorian Roidan isn't running TNA.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Even though they were never under deals, are we 100% sure that TNA doesn't have any rights to the intellectual property created by someone under contract to them, like Senor Benjamin?

In the private sector it would work that way, but I am not so sure if it goes that way in wrasslin. 

Workers in the indies own their own gimmicks and use them in multiple feds.   Some feds may try to compel you to use a gimmick only in their indy fed (this happened to a buddy of mine who worked the Carolina indies), but such deals are made of unenforceable handshakes.

It only gets dicey in major feds where one of two things usually happens.

1) Creative packages you in their own gimmick.

2) You sign away part or all of your gimmick and let the fed trademark the content in exchange for joining the fed.

The most TNA part about the Hardy situation is that they are the Current TNA Tag Champs, so they're might be a tag tournament at this weekends set of taping. Plus side of the Hardys leaving TNA is they might show up in Vegas in a couple weeks to promote the Young Bucks match.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Maybe he could get an Adult Swim show? Is that still a thing?

A wrestling show on Adult Swim that's like every Saturday at midnight that revolves around the Broken Hardys would be awesome. Shoot it on Matts compound in that barn like they did for Total Nonstop Deletion, bring a crowd in use local NC guys tape once a month how much money could it cost?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

A wrestling show on Adult Swim that's like every Saturday at midnight that revolves around the Broken Hardys would be awesome.

If it was successful for Odd Future.....

Crap, I just realized the MCW segment is supposed to air this Thursday!  Please, TNA, please air the footage!  I've been waiting to see how they'd present this and I'll be very sad if they don't air it due to contract reasons.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If it was successful for Odd Future.....

It was, that show still be going on if Odd Future didn't decide they were done doing. I know Adult Swim doesn't really do hour long shows, mainly focusing on half hour and quarter hour shows but fuck why not, wrestling is Late '90s hot but its niche and has an audience why not capitalize on it? and a Broken Hardys show on Adult Swim would mean wrestling back on Turner.

And the Pro Wrestling Sheet version

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned Broken Matt and Jeff Hardy will NOT be signing new deals with Impact Wrestling … and it’s because they felt disrespected during contract talks.

Sources with direct knowledge tell us the Hardy Boyz agreed to terms on a new deal back in December, but needed a few minor changes, and were simply waiting for the finalized offer.

We’re told the deal was supposed to be for 1-year in length. Weeks and weeks passed, with Matt constantly checking in, but they were consistently given the run around.

Eventually Matt and Jeff’s lawyer told Impact Wrestling officials that they wanted a creative control clause in their new deals … which was shot down immediately. One source says their lawyer told Ed Nordholm there was interest from other companies and he responded by saying, “Well, tell them to go to WWE then.”

This set Jeff Hardy off, who at that point said he was no longer interested in re-signing. Matt continued talks, but when they sent a new contract last week it was now a 2-year deal and terms had been snuck in which stated they’d receive 10% of all his profits outside of Impact.

Matt’s lawyer said he’d be a fool to sign, so he informed the company he wasn’t interested in doing so — but would still come to the tapings to write off his characters. However, he was told he was crazy to think they’d want him on TV without a contact.

We’re told Impact officials are currently trying to get their tag titles back.

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Eventually Matt and Jeff’s lawyer told Impact Wrestling officials that they wanted a creative control clause in their new deals … which was shot down immediately. One source says their lawyer told Ed Nordholm there was interest from other companies and he responded by saying, “Well, tell them to go to WWE then.”

THIS FUCKING COMPANY!

• Like 2

Newest story up from Pro Wrestling Sheet is that the Hardys and TNA are now fighting over who owns the gimmick rights

If Broken Matt wants to continue using that name after leaving Impact Wrestling, he may have a fight on his hands — because right now there’s confusion over who owns the gimmick.

Sources close to Matt tell us his current deal gives Impact the ability to profit off of anything already filmed having to do with ANY gimmick he used throughout the course of his contract … but, once that’s over, he retains ownership of his name and characters.

However, our Impact Wrestling sources tell us that’s not the case at all. They claim the current deal specifically states that their company owns all IP creations.

As we previously reported, Matt and Jeff do not plan to re-sign with the company because they felt dissed during contract negotiations.

As for a possible non-compete clause, we’re told The Hardy Boyz don’t have one. Which means they could potentially show up in another company as soon as next week.

It's clear that Ryan Satin's source is either Matt, Jeff or their attorney

While I agree that TNA would be completely stupid losing the Hardy's given how weak their roster and how they also lost Drew Galloway; does anyone really think that Broken Matt and Brother Nero would work in the WWE?   The main reason why they have been so good this last year is because they probably have 80% control over their product and what they show.  Which makes TNA trying to get control over gimmick so damn funny.   

Unless the Hardy's are on Smackdown I have a bad idea what it would look like.   I mean we saw their version of the Final Deletion and it wasn't much

I asked myself "how could Impact Wrestling possibly fuck up the best they've got going?", then I remembered what company I was talking about. 

This is why Vince has nothing to worry about; his main competition is bafflingly incompetent. 

I could see them going to WWE under a Lesnar/Jericho/Taker type deal. More a 'special attraction' idea, have a run for a few months then disappear for awhile and go back to the indies to refresh/make extra money before returning the next time they are needed. I think if the act was on every Monday for months it would get stale anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I could see them going to WWE under a Lesnar/Jericho/Taker type deal. More a 'special attraction' idea, have a run for a few months then disappear for awhile and go back to the indies to refresh/make extra money before returning the next time they are needed. I think if the act was on every Monday for months it would get stale anyway.

Thing is, if creative control was one of the big contention points, why would they go to WWE where they're guaranteed not to have creative control. 

6 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Thing is, if creative control was one of the big contention points, why would they go to WWE where they're guaranteed not to have creative control. 

Well in my theory not based on reality, they'd have something similar to Jericho who does have some say, plus if you look at wrestlers like Asuka and Nakamura they didn't really change their character/personality when they brought them in. WWE isn't quite as bad as they used to be at automatically changing someone's character if they had a character that already worked before coming in, they may not be able to decide when they win and when they lose but I'd think they could work it out where their gimmick wouldn't radically change.

The Deletion specials are the only TNA productions I've watched or paid attention to in years.  In fact I always get surprised when I hear the company is somehow managing to stay in business.  It's like the latter days of ECW but drug out far further.  The Broken Hardys in NXT would guarantee I kept spending 9.99 a month.