DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

I read something in the newspaper today about people hating Under the Skin at Venice, but this article suggests reaction was more mixed.

http://www.contactmusic.com/article/under-the-skin-scarlett-johansson_3846835 

Under the Skin, the third movie from Jonathan Glazer, has severely divided critics at the Venice Film Festival with some calling it astonishing, one of the finest films of the year, and others bemoaning it as silly and throwaway. 

Premiering earlier on Tuesday (September 3, 2013), the drama was certainly divisive, though as the boos and heckles rang around the Italian auditorium, some critics were already scribbling hugely positive reviews.

(...)

It wasn't all good. According to Scott Feinberg of the Hollywood Reporter, a "not inconsiderable number" of audience members walked out of the screening, apparently though sheer tedium. 

In his review, Feinberg also spoke of Johansson's considerable presence, though added, "...she totally commits to the part, to the extent that she even performs several scenes of full-frontal nudity. Unfortunately, many, if not most, of the people who ultimately will check out this film will probably do so solely in order to check out those scenes."

Yes... "unfortunately".

Daniel Bruhl probably is going to get nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Also, Anthony Dod Mantle probably will win for Best Cinematography. It's probably going to be between Mantle and Lubezki (Gravity).

Well, I can see how people might have felt that way - that first trailer felt like it was an hour long.  And, let's be real here - any moviemaker who's got Scarlett Johannson doing topless scense is well aware that that single feature will draw people to the theater.

In his review, Feinberg also spoke of Johansson's considerable presence, though added, "...she totally commits to the part, to the extent that she even performs several scenes of full-frontal nudity. Unfortunately, many, if not most, of the people who ultimately will check out this film will probably do so solely in order to check out those scenes."

The Jadallah Brothers announced on their Facebook page that Entity aka The "Official" Slender Man movie is headed for reshoots now that some money mark producers and an actual distributor have come aboard.

They even got a new movie poster printed.

Posted Image

Trailer 2 for Carrie.

I actually had an interesting debate with a co-worker this morning.  He feels that Chloe Moretz is "too thin and too cute" to be the titular character (Carrie is often described as overweight and homely in the novel) and that the re-image is just aping Sissy Spacek's character rather than trying to be more faithful to the movie.

I countered with the fact that in the novel, nearly every negative description of Carrie comes from her own self-examination in a mirror or from self-perception. 

When King is the omnipotent narrator or when people that are sympathetic to Carrie describe her, Carrie is pretty and but when she describes herself or thinks about her own body image, she is ugly.  I'm hoping the film is clever enough to keep the subtle hints of obviously untreated Body Dysmorphic Disorder going on.

I know it's a story most everyone knows, but fuck do I hate trailers that show the entire arc of a film. I mean it's like the guy making the trailer watched the movie and just cut each scene down to to a couple of seconds and then put some music over it.

I have to be honest the Robocop trailer looked like shit to me. Looks like they went with explosions over substance which is no surprise but..

I had low expectations going in because of people already shitting on the suit when the photo leaked during filming. But it's only a trailer.