DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

Oh, don't get me wrong, that trailer is fucking awesome.

Oh, I did not get you wrong, my friend.

Just as an additional side note, Jackass movies in the theater are totally survival of the fittest. For all three Jackass flicks, there has been at least one person who has walked out disgusted. Like, what the hell did you expect?

• Like 1

They had me when Gramps drove through the Welcome to NC sign.  Jackass Presents is insurance that I will be there in the ticket line with a huge beer buzz on opening night.

I enjoyed reading Horns because it tested my philosophical sensibilities.  I hope the movie will remain just as provocative.  It is also good to see Radcliffe taking on decidedly non-Harry Potter roles.  Brave lad.

Any chane that Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster will actually get a reasonably decent wide release in the US, meaning will I be able to go see this movie without having to trek 45 minutes across town to see it?

From the commercials I've seen, August 30th is the date.

Spoiler: Cung Le is in the first 5 minutes

Oh JT....

FUCK YEAH~!

I imagine that I will be elated when Ali is cutting promos and talking shit and will be reduced to swearing and contemplating setting my movie seat on fire by the sixty minute mark of this documentary when they talk about Ali being stripped of the title..

Oh, and The Grandmaster looks fucking sweet.

The tagline "The Grandmaster will be revealed" kinda bugs me. 

There are nearly as many movies that tell the story of Ip Man as there are movies about Wong Fei Hung, Zui Quan, or Huo Yuanjia.

• Like 1

I agree that The Grandmaster looks unbelievable and I am definitely looking forward to it.  I just think that it is odd that the marketing for most modern wushu epics makes it seem like that particular movie is the first time that particular story was ever told.  It's also kinda funny when you think about sequence. 

Fearless becomes unofficial the prequel to Fist of Fury or Fist of Legend and Iron Monkey becomes the prequel to every movie made featuring Wong Fei Hung as an adult.

• Like 1

Since the first two Yen Ip Mans ripped all of their major plot points from Fearless and Fist of Fury/Fist of Legend, it's not like they have been telling the real story of Ip Man anyway. A guy who died in 1972 is already as much a Robin Hood figure as Wong Fei Hung.

And I'm really looking forward to The Grandmaster.

There is a lot of embelishment for dramatic effect and some political gloss thrown in for good measure (I was very surprised to see a sympathetic, honorable Japanese character in Fearless), but most of those historical figures really did oppose Japanese occupation in one form or another so you can expect the plot points and the villains to be very similar.

I don't have a problem with similar plot points and villians. If I did, I wouldn't have much use with cinema in general. let alone Asian cinema, which specializes in that sort of thing. It is quite another matter to take a recently deceased historical figure and cast him as the protagonist of, basically, two re-imaginings of relatively contemporary films. While I enjoyed them for what they were, the Yen Ips are extremely lazy storytelling.