DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

I don't have a problem with similar plot points and villians. If I did, I wouldn't have much use with cinema in general. let alone Asian cinema, which specializes in that sort of thing. It is quite another matter to take a recently deceased historical figure and cast him as the protagonist of, basically, two re-imaginings of relatively contemporary films. While I enjoyed them for what they were, the Yen Ips are extremely lazy storytelling.

I don't have a problem with similar plot points and villians. If I did, I wouldn't have much use with cinema in general. let alone Asian cinema, which specializes in that sort of thing. It is quite another matter to take a recently deceased historical figure and cast him as the protagonist of, basically, two re-imaginings of relatively contemporary films. While I enjoyed them for what they were, the Yen Ips are extremely lazy storytelling.

I am not so sure that it is lazy storytelling, but it is definitely blatant propaganda... which is far worse in my opinion.  It will be interesting to see if they bother to touch upon Yip's alleged opium addiction in The Grandmaster. 

I daresay that Zui Quan wouldn't be remembered as such a heroic figure if his alcoholism hadn't led to the development of the Drunken Boxing fighting style... so we are all led to believe.

I'm not a huge kung-fu guy (my knowledge is probably limited to The Street Fighter films, Master of the Flying Guillotine, Drunken Master and Bruce Lee films to be honest) but you guys might be interested in this article considering Weinstein's Grandmaster production. 

http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/dg-op-ed-ric-meyers-history-disrespect-weinstein-company-kung-fu/

...and here is your new found footage horror flick, directed by Renny Harlin. If you look up "Dyatlov Pass" on Wiki the story is very interesting (I might've even found out about it here, memory fails me) but the film... well, Renny directed Prison, Cliffhanger, and Die Hard 2 so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

And I am completely hyped for the Ali doc!

I daresay that Zui Quan wouldn't be remembered as such a heroic figure if his alcoholism hadn't led to the development of the Drunken Boxing fighting style... so we are all led to believe.

Uh, ok.

I suppose my point is that I agree with your point about Chinese historical figures being converted into Robin Hood.  These men will always be presented as pariah and pillars of virtue in these films no matter how they were in real life.  Even their character flaws will have some sort of positive effect on their character.

As far as the "so we are all led to believe part," there are no less than five documented proponents of the Drunken Boxing style but most sources credit Zui Quan as the style's creator.

- Warner Bros. is in negotiations with Joseph Kosinski (Tron: Legacy, Oblivion) to direct a Twilight Zone movie. I wonder if Kosinski can manage to make that into boring dreck. Hopefully, no one gets decapitated on set this time.

- Interstellar started principal photography in Calgary a few days ago. Since Wally Pfister is still shooting Transcendence, Hoyte van Hoytema will be the director of photography. It's being shot with mix of 35mm anamorphic and IMAX film photography. The cast now includes David Oyelowo, Topher Grace, and Wes Bentley in addition to Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, Mackenzie Foy, and Ellen Burstyn.

So, Kick-Ass 2 is pretty much exactly what you would expect it to be.  Violent, profane, at times funny.  I liked it outside a couple of scenes that I really could have done without (one just because it was an aggressively unfunny big comedy bit, the other because I guess I do have a limit where something can offend me) but it was, overall, pretty much what I expected when I bought a ticket.

- Not surprisingly, Warner Bros. is dropping Seventh Son (scheduled for a January 17 wide release), Mass Effect, and Warcraft movies that are owned by Legendary Pictures. However, WB/Legendary are still putting out Godzilla together on May 16. Legendary is going to pitch the remaining projects to the their new partner Universal Pictures.

- Screenwriter Scott Frank (Minority Report, The Wolverine) is doing the re-writes for the Assassin's Creed movie. As of right now, it's slated to be released summer 2015.

Apparently, there are two Nelson & Winnie Mandela movies coming out this year. The first (with Jennifer Hudson that got torched by Winnie herself) debuted at the 2011 Toronto film festival and the other (w/ Stringer Bell and Eve Moneypenny) will debut at the 2013 film festival before a November wide release. 

I like Idris' accent more than Morgan Freeman in Invictus, but he looks more like Robert Mugabe than Nelson fucking Mandela.

- Not surprisingly, Warner Bros. is dropping Seventh Son (scheduled for a January 17 wide release), Mass Effect, and Warcraft movies that are owned by Legendary Pictures. However, WB/Legendary are still putting out Godzilla together on May 16. Legendary is going to pitch the remaining projects to the their new partner Universal Pictures.

You would think I would be upset by this but I am not since a Mass Effect movie terrifies me.

And I am still trying to figure out why a separate thread was created since this normally all goes in "Upcoming Releases"

There is already a great Mass Effect movie called Mass Effect and you can play it out on the PS3 or 360 and get a million times more entertainment out of that than anyone ever could watching some hackneyed attempt at portraying Shep's adventures on screen.

You would think I would be upset by this but I am not since a Mass Effect movie terrifies me.

And I am still trying to figure out why a separate thread was created since this normally all goes in "Upcoming Releases"

Well, the thread is called 2013: New Movies and no one is really posting anything except trailers for movies coming out this year.