DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

We are all old.  These lists are written by "millenials" who don't know shit about The Bulldogs,Tully & Arn or Demolition.  They look at these teams the same way we'd look at Frank & Emil Dusek.

When I was young, I'd tout the WWF stars of the 80s and tell my elders that Sammartino wasn't shit.  Now we're the old guys and kids are telling us Dynamite Kid wasn't shit.  And so it goes.

• Like 1

We are all old.  These lists are written by "millenials" who don't know shit about The Bulldogs,Tully & Arn or Demolition.  They look at these teams the same way we'd look at Frank & Emil Dusek.

When I was young, I'd tout the WWF stars of the 80s and tell my elders that Sammartino wasn't shit.  Now we're the old guys and kids are telling us Dynamite Kid wasn't shit.  And so it goes.

Well said.

Now get off my lawn.

• Like 3

This is my favorite board on the internet period. I find myself getting into crazy arguments on /r/SquaredCircle about the absolute dumbest things, like "I know the DVD said that happened, but that definitely didn't happen."

I lurk PWO, and I absolutely love the level of knowledge of the guys over there, but I don't think I'm smart enough to post there-- it's like when my ex used to have her doctor friends over for dinner. I worked construction at the time, so I just had nothing to say.

Yep. If it makes you feel better, in 20 years some kid not even born yet will be like "Daniel Bryan? Pffft..." and they will experience the same emotion Bazzil is now.

That shoot interview with Axl Rotten on Youtube where he's in the wheelchair and bitches about not being offered a WWE contract and claims that he and Balls Mahoney could have made the WWECW profitable...

God, this is why, despite going to lots of indy shows, I would never want to be "part of the biz" b/c I just cannot stand that self-delusion/constant need to work everyone that seems to infect pretty much everyone involved in pro wrestling.

Sitting at a bar and listening to Joe Gomez bitch and moan about how he turned down a million dollar contract "from Baba" to stay with WCW and I can't say anything b/c Joe is twice my size and drinking heavily.  Jesus, kill me if I ever have to endure another night like that.

I am sort of curious of Amell will move things at all for next week's Raw. I think he has a particularly loyal fanbase and that a bunch of CW watching teenage girls could well tune in. I've seen it on a bunch of non-wrestling sites. I think his fanbase is just more likely to follow him onto another show than a random rapper's or some of the other people they bring in.

My aunt is one of those teenaged girls, sir!  Well, doing the math, she's 4.5 of those teenaged girls.

I'm trying to say my 67 year old aunt posts a lot of stuff about Arrow on Facebook.

• Like 1

I am sort of curious of Amell will move things at all for next week's Raw. I think he has a particularly loyal fanbase and that a bunch of CW watching teenage girls could well tune in. I've seen it on a bunch of non-wrestling sites. I think his fanbase is just more likely to follow him onto another show than a random rapper's or some of the other people they bring in.

My aunt is one of those teenaged girls, sir! Well, doing the math, she's 4.5 of those teenaged girls.

I'm trying to say my 67 year old aunt posts a lot of stuff about Arrow on Facebook.

Will she watch Raw?

Really odd question.  Has anyone watched the Bischoff timeline yet?  If so, how is the language?  I'm asking since me and my buddy are watching it tomorrow, and he has a 3 year old who obviously likes to repeat things.

That list is lazily awful.  Usually when people make a bullshit all-time list they at least try to fake being smart by tossing in something older than they are.

The history of wrestling is practically available at their fingertips but that list makes it look like wrestling didn't exist until they experienced puberty.

The problem is that what do you call The Freebirds or other groups? Tag Teams or Stables? If they count as a stable what combo of the Freebirds would get put in.

Secondary issue. This is why things like all time lists or HOF's for a sport with so many variables is nonsense. This isn't like baseball where you have solid stats that people earn, it makes lists hard to make. People like to make them because they are fun, but there is too much that people focus on over other things that other people focus on.

Question - did working with Bret Hart "make" anyone other than Austin?

Owen went from undercard job guy to main event working with him, but was never really taken seriously as a main event guy.

Bulldog was already over in London, and didn't really go on to do anything with that program.

The original run with Michaels was pretty one sided. Think he got more out of his matches with Nash and Foley than Bret during his title run.

Patriot was an awful program

JPL and Hakushi were released not long after. The Yankem gimmick, whilst obviously horrible, didn't go anywhere either.

Could have seen more from the Booker feud had he not got injured.

DDP was already there by that point.

Malenko feud went nowhere

Benoit an option given the two big matches they had that established him as a top of the card guy.

I think the concept of "making" guys is really an overrated one. Did Flair "make" anyone other than Sting? He never really put over Luger or Barry. I dont think "Making" a guy should be viewed as being made into a main event superstar, it's more about looking legitimate to the fans. Guys like Lex, Barry, Diesel, Owen, and Shawn all looked considerably more legit coming out of the ring, after going toe to toe with the guy fans viewed as the best, than they did before they got in regardless of if they won or lost.

My aunt is one of those teenaged girls, sir! Well, doing the math, she's 4.5 of those teenaged girls.

Will she watch Raw?

Choir practice on Mondays.  Not sure if she knows how to DVR stuff.

Re: that tag list -

Aside from the fact that it's obviously stupid, Kane's the only guy represented more than once, so obviously the all-time bar is set pretty low.

(And I don't even dislike Kane. But c'mon.)

• Like 1

Question - did working with Bret Hart "make" anyone other than Austin?

Owen went from undercard job guy to main event working with him, but was never really taken seriously as a main event guy.

Bulldog was already over in London, and didn't really go on to do anything with that program.

The original run with Michaels was pretty one sided. Think he got more out of his matches with Nash and Foley than Bret during his title run.

Compare Bret's match with Diesel at Rumble and Shawn's at WrestleMania. Bret went in with the intention of helping Diesel. Shawn did the Shawn show and Diesel was never the same, IMO.

Who came out of a program with Bret looking worse?

• Like 5