DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R2: TOMOAKI HONMA vs. BROCK LESNAR

RIPPA

TOMOAKI HONMA vs. BROCK LESNAR  

124 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

This isn't going to end well for Honma.  And after voting Brock I realized how good he's been recently and the five star match he had in Osaka(?)

I feel guilty now.

You have no one to blame but yourself.

BE AN INFORMED VOTER~!

Hmm. Honma only two votes down at this point. Maybe the Board will figure this one out correctly. If Honma should come up short by one vote, we all know who we're going to blame...

Daniel Bryan did not have the matches over the year to go over Brock.

From what I've seen so far, Honma does. 

From all the Japanese guys I've seen so far, he is the only one I am going to keep watching after March is over. 

Honma had a ton of matches against the other top New Japan guys that were really good. I enjoy Brock a ton, but Honma has the amount of good matches to beat him here. 

I would say that the only possible reason to vote Brock over Honma is that Brock has been presented as a guy who is unbeatable.  So basically if you are voting as if this was a real match, I could see you voting for Brock.  Other than that?  Well you'd have to show your work to convince me it's even close.

Honma - as a job guy who wasn't even supposed to be in the tournament - was at WORST the co-MVP of last years G1 which was universally praised (I'd argue that he and Styles were the best guys in the tourney).  And he did that without winning a single match in the tournament.  

Honma is a guy who works throw away tag matches on house shows when everyone else is mailing it in and ALWAYS works hard and always gets over.  Brock works a three matches a year.

Honma is a guy booked as a jobber, who is as over as anyone on the New Japan roster, and managed to maintain his value AND make others look better when they beat him despite the fact  that he never, ever wins.  Brock is the most protected guy in the WWE, never shows up to t.v. to make you feel like he's vulnerable or even a part of the show in a meaningful way, and as such it's hard to suspend disbelief and imagine that anyone can beat him, hurting the entire active roster in the process. 

Honma has two of the best singles matches so far this year.  Brock has one, despite being his promotions champion.  

Honma is a better worker than Brock, more consistent than Brock, has a higher volume of good matches, is believable and delivers against a much wider range of opponents, has a better character despite it being a character that arguably shouldn't work at all whereas Brock has a massive booking advantage on paper, and is arguably even more charismatic than Brock.  

Also from a kayfabe perspective the biggest underdog in wrestling getting the big shock win over Brock feels like the biggest possible payoff to the Honma story. 

• Like 3

I voted Honma. Match wise, I have them about level for quality, with Honma obviously walking it in terms of quantity. The fact that he clearly fucking loves wrestling, to a possibly deranged extent, more than gives him the edge over Brock, who goes above and beyond the call of duty for a mercenary, but is still a mercenary. Above all else, while it's hardly Brock's fault, his title reign has been a disaster in terms of there being a watchable show on a week to week, and sometimes even PPV to PPV basis. Hulk Hogan showing up every three months to defend the WWF Title works when you only have to fill about an hour of television a week. Brock being a seasonal special attraction has absolutely killed most Monday Night Raws for over half a year now, and has turned already throwaway non-big four PPVs into predictable filler. Bring back the 30 day rule, Honma all the way.

I could justify voting Brock over a guy who spent most of the year out injured, and where they had a comparable number of great matches/moments. But unless he was going to wind up against some guy I can't stand in Round 2, I knew that was as far as he could go. I don't even watch New Japan but I've seen Honma pimped enough to know that it wouldn't be fair to vote against him for a guy who had like 4 matches.

• Like 1

Everyone analyzing this match is voting Honma. Can anyone on the Brock side who has actually watched both give a reason why they are going Brock?

I voted for Brock. I voted for Brock because whenever he shows up, no matter when or where, it feels like a huge deal, and feels different from the rest of the show. he's the only person in wrestling that I can say that about this year. I don't think Brock had the best year, and I certainly don't see myself voting for him every round. But to me, Honma is just a very good wrestler. Brock managed to transcend that for short periods during the year. I'm not begrudging anyone voting for Honma, or questioning there taste like I am in the Gulak/Ziggler poll. For this match up, I think Brock did enough with his mere presence to warrant a vote.  

I just broke the tie. In favor of BARRRACCCCCCCKK LESSSSSNAR.

Oh right an explanation. Well, I really love Honma and his G1. I do. I would vote him over a lot of dudes in this tournament. But this is Brock. Brock is the last big deal in wrestling. He's the only guy where I absolutely have to drop everything I'm doing and watch him. There aren't many people I will vote over Brock in this. I love a spectacle. Honma is a really fun guy to watch but I can watch his stuff the next night or the next week and it's fine.

• Like 1