DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Played a little this morning and Dungeon Siege III is interesting enough to serve as the back-up game to play when my parent's router goes batshit and will only keep me online when I am not playing any multiplayer heavy games.

Just ordered an XB1 (Fallout 4 bundle) which should find its way to my doorstep on Saturday. While I loathe spending that much on myself right before Christmas, I also don't spend much on myself throughout the year. I guess I can justify it!

• Like 1

Renewed my love of Chivalry.  I ain't played that shit in years.  There's a gladiatorial arena like there used to be with spikes and shit but now it randomizes all the deathtraps so there's a giant swinging hammer and sometimes a forest emerges.  Holy shit.

official theme song.

I bought Black Ops 3 about a week ago and I just am not having success with it. It's really smooth gameplay and the heavy customization seems cool but I'm just getting wrecked. I've had all the previous games except Advanced Warfare, I skipped that one, and I was pretty good at all of them but it hasn't translated into this game. The maps seem pretty unforgiving so far without many choke points. Also watching kill cams after I die it really seems like it's taking way less to kill me than I'm doing to other people so it might be an issue of just not having perks and guns leveled up yet or if might be a connection issue.

A buddy got Battlefront so I got it by default because we do the console share thing. It's really a lot of fun. I got tired of Battlefield pretty quickly but I like this much more.

After not touching it for nearly a year, I have gotten back into Diablo 3 PS4 and am having a great time with it. Been bouncing between it and Watch Dogs at first, then D3 and Batman after I got that on Wed.

It's the perfect way to play the game, to be honest, and part of the reason why I love the Seasons. You play it non-stop for a few weeks, you get the goods, you can walk away until the next season a few to several months down the road. It lets you forget how boring or overly long some parts of it can be.

After not touching it for nearly a year, I have gotten back into Diablo 3 PS4 and am having a great time with it. Been bouncing between it and Watch Dogs at first, then D3 and Batman after I got that on Wed.

It's the perfect way to play the game, to be honest, and part of the reason why I love the Seasons. You play it non-stop for a few weeks, you get the goods, you can walk away until the next season a few to several months down the road. It lets you forget how boring or overly long some parts of it can be.

I wish the Playstation version had season mode. I'm actually half considering grabbing the PC version while it's on sale this weekend, but it's hard to justify dropping more money than I spent on the PS4 version to get both the core game and RoS.

I wish the Playstation version had season mode. I'm actually half considering grabbing the PC version while it's on sale this weekend, but it's hard to justify dropping more money than I spent on the PS4 version to get both the core game and RoS.

There's been some discussion of adding Seasons to the consoles, but nothing official yet. I'm hoping that when they start actually announcing the next patch (2.4) and season (5) we'll get more info.

I posted about it in the Black Friday thread, but does anyone have any experience with Lego Dimensions or Disney Infinity? I'll probably hold onto the Lego stuff I bought, but I'm just wondering which would be best for someone just getting started with playing video games. My daughter is also 5. From the YouTube videos I watched, it looks like Disney Infinity is more complex, but it's hard to be sure about that.

I posted about it in the Black Friday thread, but does anyone have any experience with Lego Dimensions or Disney Infinity? I'll probably hold onto the Lego stuff I bought, but I'm just wondering which would be best for someone just getting started with playing video games. My daughter is also 5. From the YouTube videos I watched, it looks like Disney Infinity is more complex, but it's hard to be sure about that.

Kotaku wants to help you with this.

I am digging Dungeon Siege 3 so far.  Solid story if a tad generic as far as game worlds go. 

I am very paranoid about missing side quest steps.   The separation of the wooded areas freaks me out so I creep through slowly as not to miss any quest markers.  Hopefully these quests I picked up in Raven's Rill can be completed while I am on my way to Stonebridge.

Fucking Rajani was a handful until I d'oh remembered that I can self-regen with Gentle Repose and build my power stones back by shield butting the shit out of the Archon.

Jade Empire is free through Origins, for real this time. I picked it up.

I may be busy for the next 150 or so hours.... Yes, so far the plots and surprises are pretty telegraphed, but wow this is pretty and neat and different.

I put a couple of hours into Just Cause 3 last night.  It's pretty much exactly what I wanted: Just Cause 2 but more so.  The wingsuit is a great addition, and the movement in general has a lot more weight to it than JC2.  My biggest beef is that upgrades are gated behind challenges, and the load times to retry them are obscene.  Other than that it's great.

Gave Gauntlet a try on the PS4 last night. Jumped right into an online game, no clue what I was doing. Yep, it's Gauntlet, only with more of a Diablo look. It's basically a twin-stick shooter. Anyway, was having fun for 5-10 minutes when I, all of a sudden, got a message that I'd been kicked. No clue what I'd done to annoy people :) Maybe it's because I wasn't letting one guy get every piece of loot like he clearly was expecting. I dunno. Oh well. Mildly fun but not something I'm going to play a lot.

I put a couple of hours into Just Cause 3 last night.  It's pretty much exactly what I wanted: Just Cause 2 but more so.  The wingsuit is a great addition, and the movement in general has a lot more weight to it than JC2.  My biggest beef is that upgrades are gated behind challenges, and the load times to retry them are obscene.  Other than that it's great.

What version are you playing?  I've seen some horror stories on NeoGAF about 5-15 minute load times on the console versions.

What version are you playing?  I've seen some horror stories on NeoGAF about 5-15 minute load times on the console versions.

PS4.  It sounds like the worst problems are on the Xbone.  The initial load time is pretty bad, probably 3-4 minutes, but after that it's fairly seamless until you try to launch or retry a challenge, which probably takes 45-60 seconds.  Which is a problem on shit like wingsuit trials where I crash and burn a lot.

I haven't noticed any of the pop-in or framerate drops that people have been complaining about.

Got my PSTV and immediately hacked it so that it can play Gravity Rush, but now I can't use my memory cards unless I update the system, which would cause the hack to stop working.

I should have bought two of them.