DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

PS3/PS4 version of Marvel Puzzle Quest is out today. $15 gets you everything, no microtransactions except for the DLC campaigns (which are $4 each). Considering how much time I dumped into PQ1, 2 and Galactrix, and how fast I burned out on MPQ because it felt too optimized to force spending, I may check it out when I have the chance. I hope it does well enough that we get more than just the first 2 DLC campaigns, though, because I'm going to want the GotG and Ant-Man tie-in content for sure.

Just started playing MPQ on Steam and am hooked pretty good. May go the PS3 route if it goes on sale later.

I picked up Gat Out of Hell during last weekend's PSN flash sale.  It was ok, not much actual content - I got through it in about 3 hours and that was with doing a lot of the side stuff.  I think I'm done with the sci-fi/superhero direction the series has gone, though.  Just go back to Saint's Row 2 style, a more over the top GTA with online coop story mission mode and I'll be in.  I don't need to fly around a boring city picking up orbs.

Still playing through Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.  A little too stealthy for me, but it's still decent.

• Like 1

At that weird stage where I'd like to go get a new game to play for a while, but a game I've been waiting for forever (Fallout 4) is going to be out in a couple of weeks and I wouldn't be able to finish any game I'd get in the interim before it got here.

Bleh.

Most of the way through Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, but one of the boss battles caused me to "rage quit" (well, as much rage as I can muster for video games anymore) a game for the first time in a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long time.

EDIT: Never mind. . .solved my problem by getting that stupid fucking boss fight done so I can go on with The Pre-Sequel. Think I need to do some side quests before I jump back onto the main story mission. Pretty sure my biggest issue with the boss fight I was having problems with was being underpowered when I got there.

I loved SRIV (except for the fact that High Voltage might be a group of one-armed chimpanzees who have never coded in their lives because the damn thing locked up my PS4 randomly at least twelve times during my twenty hour playthrough).

Beat it and immediately started to play Gat Out Of Hell. Stopped about ninety minutes in and just looked up the endings on YouTube. I had my fill of that gameplay. We need a reboot, preferably one that resets things and goes back to the end of SR2 so we can get back to a focus on Ultor and Troy, that sonuvabitch.

Right now, I'm playing through Sonic Colors and enjoying it well enough, but I see why SEGA added the werewolf stages to Unleashed and the 2D Sonic stages to Generations from a gameplay standpoint; the boost gameplay is REALLY fun, but only in short bursts. It gets old quickly. Of course, it's also easier to make non-2.5D boost stages, so from both a fun factor perspective and a labor-intensive perspective, interspersing something else with those stages is a good idea. 

I also have been playing lots of VITA while I'm burning up the Stairmaster or elliptical. Quickly:

Injustice: Gods Among Us is pretty fun single-player. I play a decent Batgirl. I think. It's hard to tell against the computer. I have bought this game twice now, actually, but it was worth it. I'm looking forward to the next game in the series now that MKX has been completed.

Jeanne d'Arc is so goofy that I love it, and it's a pretty good tactics-like as well. It does get game-breakingly easy about halfway through, but I'll get through it anyway. 

Tearaway is adorable, but it doesn't really hold my interest. My first Tearaway card died after maybe a week, but Target was offloading VITA games for about six bucks apiece, so I got a new copy pretty easily. It's one that I'll enjoy playing with my kids someday, though. 

Super Meat Boy has been on my PC forever. I don't necessarily love playing pixel-perfect platformers, and frankly, I don't really love this game either. I'm all for difficulty, mind you, and I think that I physically threatened my VITA at a couple of points during the end stages of Rayman Origins, but this feels more like IWTBtG! than just a really challenging and rewarding platformer

Backing Broken Age: I made a hyooooooge mistake. I loved Costume Quest and Trenched and of course Psychonauts, but Brutal Legend is a bad game made worse that I personally hate metal and the gameplay didn't even get close to making up for the soundtrack (though Peter McConnell's work in that game is suitably awesome), CQ2 was not good because the original creator of the idea left the company, and honestly, they haven't put out a good game since Stacking. Of course, I also backed Massive Chalice and still have not played it, so I could just need to play that to rediscover my love for Double Fine. 

I'm probably going to play Persona on VITA at some point, but I'm not really a JRPG guy. Everyone loves it though, so I should give it a try.

I'm going to do a Persona/Hatoful Boyfriend/Danganronpa series of playthroughs and get all the weird Japanese games that I want to try out of the way, maybe after I beat Fallout 4. 

I didn't like the Archer table on my first play. Bad layout that's nearly identical to one of the Star Wars tables that I don't like.

American Dad was alright but repetitive soundbites.

Family Guy was lots of fun and I managed to snag the #5 PS4 score (since surely topped) the other night.

I totally got this pack for the Archer table, but the Family Guy table has that ramp layout that feels really nice and open and like it has variety. Haven't played Bob's Burgers or American Dad yet. 

For some reason, the right flipper on my Vita gets stuck in game sometimes even though the actual right trigger isn't stuck, but I have no problems with this when I play on PS4. 

Bayonetta Wii U early impressions

- Feels like a remaster after playing the PS3 port.

- Choice of non-English audio and inclusion of Samus costume turn the game from something you never want to be seen playing into the Team Ninja Metroid we were all hoping for.

They finally announced a release date for part 6 of the telltale game of thrones game. Coincidentally, same day the complete game* comes out on disc.

* from what i understand, parts 1-5 and a voucher for part 6.

This game is not good enough to put with these interminable delays between episodes.

My wife and I played through the Game of Thrones Telltale game, and it just feels like so much wasted potential.  The whole idea was that you'd wheel and deal with your favorites and make your own choices, but every choice ends up with the same basic result, so nothing you choose actually matters in the long run. 

We swore off it after we made a major choice at the end of a chapter, only for the cutscene on the next chapter to show the COMPLETELY OPPOSITE choice.  At least be consistent.

Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV, Project CARS, Organ Trail.  Project CARS feels like an incomplete indy project but is still the closest thing to Forza we've got on the PS4 till a Gran Turismo comes out that doesn't suck.  I miss Forza.

• Like 1

I thought about getting Organ Trail complete since it's on sale. Is it worth it? I still play Oregon Trail via DOSBox sometimes.

Organ Trail, by the way, is like Oregon Trail except in the middle of a zombie apocalypse instead of in the days of manifest destiny and westward expansion. 

• Like 1

Yeah it looks like a weird, video game in-joke and I'd actually like to play it because it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

I didn't really enjoy it much. Tried to play a quick game with a friend ages ago after buying it for next to nothing during a steam sale. We weren't overly impressed but I don't remember any specific reason why. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Organ Trail, by the way, is like Oregon Trail except in the middle of a zombie apocalypse instead of in the days of manifest destiny and westward expansion.

My idea is a lot better.
  • Like 1