DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Been playing a bit of Rimworld, whose pitch is "Dwarf Fortress, but in space."  It's still an alpha, but there's quite a bit going on already.  The basic build/harvest/craft loops are in and work pretty well, although it seems really easy to run out of food in the early game.

Where it really shines is the combat.  The engine was originally supposed to run a tactical shooter, so unlike DF you get full control over your troops and there's a cover system.  I repelled a pirate raid last night by drawing them into a valley and outflanking them, which was very satisfying.  

Then an alpaca kicked my hunter to death and everyone starved, so the Dwarf Fortress roots are very real.

Nah, PSN is so fucking problematic. I never have anything but trouble with it. The PS4 is an amazing piece of hardware with amazing games, held back by a trash online network. And I don't mean for multiplayer, I mean everything.

• Like 2

Nah, PSN is so fucking problematic. I never have anything but trouble with it. The PS4 is an amazing piece of hardware with amazing games, held back by a trash online network. And I don't mean for multiplayer, I mean everything.

I have had relatively little issues with PSN, which has surprised me.

My biggest issue with the console is probably the menu layout and how disorganized it seems at times.

I also do not like how the Playstation Store is laid out... especially if you're just looking for either PS Plus Freebies or Flash Sale games.

I think by and large the game library on PS4 right now between current and upcoming games is the better of the two consoles.

• Like 1

My biggest issue with the console is probably the menu layout and how disorganized it seems at times.

I also do not like how the Playstation Store is laid out... especially if you're just looking for either PS Plus Freebies or Flash Sale games.

I think by and large the game library on PS4 right now between current and upcoming games is the better of the two consoles.

PS Plus is the only advantage the Playstation has over Xbox.  Almost everything else is either equal or better on Xbox.  PSN just isn't as good as Xbox Live.  Xbox Live makes everything about multiplayer gaming easy and efficient. PSN and their interface just makes things harder than it needs to be.  I don't understand people who think the PS4 library is better than the XBone.

• Like 2

PS Plus is the only advantage the Playstation has over Xbox.  Almost everything else is either equal or better on Xbox.  PSN just isn't as good as Xbox Live.  Xbox Live makes everything about multiplayer gaming easy and efficient. PSN and their interface just makes things harder than it needs to be.  I don't understand people who think the PS4 library is better than the XBone.

Because, the main reason I got a PS4 at the time despite never owning a PS3 was it being $100 less at launch. Also, there's not a lot of great and proven IP on the Xbox One at the moment. The main thing that interests me there is Halo 5 and the Gears stuff. I am bummed that I never got to play Titanfall, but the next installment is going to be released on both consoles. The rare collection seemed like a cool release, but I have not heard many people talk about it.

The only gripe I have with PSN is the actual Playstation Store.  The rest of it has been great.  Plus it's better hardware with better games.  The user interface is way better on Xbox though. 

The only gripe I have with PSN is the actual Playstation Store.  The rest of it has been great.  Plus it's better hardware with better games.  The user interface is way better on Xbox though. 

What games on the Playstation make you believe that their library is better?  I hear this a lot and just don't see it.

Exclusive games being better on one console versus another is just an opinion.  But I'll take franchises like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and MLB: The Show over anything on another console and then there's other stuff that is highly regarded but that I just haven't gotten into like God of War, The Last of Us, and Little Big Planet and new stuff that's not out yet like No Man's Sky, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and The Last Guardian.  It's just more robust in my opinion and more stuff I'd be inclined to get into.

But don't get me wrong, I love me some Gears and I will end up with an Xbone even if that was the only game on it but I'm going to give Halo another shot too.  I got disinterested in Halo with Halo 3 but I want to give it another go at some point.  Crackdown sounds like a blast too. 

I have both an OG XBox and a 360 and love them both dearly, so I'm not a Microsoft hater, but since XB1 and PS4 both get all third-party games, we have to go to exclusives, and I've been checked out on Gears and Halo since I beat the second iteration in each franchise. I just can't care anymore. Other than that, there's what, Sunset Overdrive? Crackdown at some point in the future?

PS4 has the two inFamous games, both of which I liked, MLB The Show, LBP3, and Bloodborne. Then, there's going to be a new HSG, a new Gravity Rush, Horizon: Zero Dawn, No Man's Sky, and a bunch of JRPGs if you're into those (I'm not). 

It's not hard to see why people prefer the PS4 lineup of games. 

Proven good:

Halo

Halo Wars

Gears

Forza

Crackdown

Sunset Overdrive

Still unknown, but looks great:

Scalebound

Quantum Break

ReCore

Sea of Thieves

Cuphead

I know many of those on the 2nd list are still question marks, but if just a few of those turn out well (and I think all of them look to have some merit), I don't know how anyone can say the PS4 library blows away the X-Box One's.

Frankly though, many of the Playstation's big E3 announcements were very, very Japanese games. And outside of Nintendo and MGSV, there just aren't many Japanese games that strike my fancy anymore. Shenmue and a remake of an overrated Final Fantasy from 15 years ago don't get excited. Horizon and Uncharted look badass though.