DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I don't either, but I've played Splatoon. It's good, but I'm burned out on competitive FPS and TPS. I haven't enjoyed a 2D Mario in years and years, so I doubt I'd like SMM, but to be fair, I haven't played it. 

Metal Gear V is horrendously overrated.  All the big outlets had those 10 out of 10s ready in their basket no matter what.

It's pretty good, gameplay-wise, although it's held back by some wonky controls and a refusal to explain some of its complex systems.  What it does do better than any game of it's ilk is in giving you a problem, a big box of tools, and letting you adapt your own solution.  The story is, like all Metal Gears, hot nonsense but they at least tuck most of it away in tapes that you can ignore.

i am an idiot

i bought destiny

i am such an idiot

On the plus side, as soon as I got it, my music rival/friend ran up and spammed emotes at each other, so, it's good for that.

I'm also an idiot, so hit me up if you want to play sometime.  Everyone else I know who has it is already level ridiculous and I don't want to stand around while they kill everything.  BurroOul is my PSN name.

i am an idiot

i bought destiny

i am such an idiot

On the plus side, as soon as I got it, my music rival/friend ran up and spammed emotes at each other, so, it's good for that.

Join the rest of the idiots in the Destiny thread.  Be sure to let us know what console you play on and hit up the link in my sig to join the DVDVR clan.

Your JT IS FINALLY PLAYING SLEEPING DOGS~! report.

- Yeah, the last police case was about the kidnapping of Illyana's friend which turned into an investigation of a white slavery ring.  Pride would not let me lose a game of mahjong to the smuggler asshole, so thank God that you don't auto-fail the mission for winning the game.   Human Trafficking ring shut down, dudes in jail, my Russian hook-up rolls out into the night in a boat.   Wei cannot keep a girlfriend to save his life.  That was the last case I had for Inspector Teng though.  ACHIEVEMENT~!

- Goat all of the Face missions done.  ACHIEVEMENT~! I am going to miss Calvin doing dumb shit that forces me to evade the law in a high speed chase.

- Found all of the lockboxes in Kennedy Town, North Point, and Aberdeen.  ACHIEVEMENTS~!  Four more boxes to go in Central.  I played a little Destiny before going on a Sleeping Dogs binge and got sleepy right before deciding to knock out the last little bit of collection content.  Getting the last few boxes in Central should give me two achievements:  one for finding the boxes and another for owning all articles of clothing in the game.

- A shootout at a funeral.   Yet another HK movie trope makes it into the game.  Pendrew is obviously in the pocket of the 18K so I will wind up killing that asshole sooner or later.

- I am really looking forward to ending Big Smile Lee.

- Went out on a date with Sandra.  She's pretty hot for a video game character.  Now I've got two more races to win.  Wei is a butt man and a dude after my own heart

- I am playing this game in GTA mode.  I have yet to kill a single policeman, but one of the stat medals requires me to start smoking cops.

- I did blow out the tire of a police car chasing me after I hijacked a van though.  ACHIEVEMENT~!

-  Beat a thug to death with a table leg.  That was my 10th improv weapon used.  ACHIEVEMENT~!

I still need to go find a damn fish.

I got that achievement during the mission in Club Bam Bam.  

You can use the fish tank in the VIP Room as an environmental attack.  Throw one of the thugs headfirst into the glass and it will shatter and the fish and water from the tank will spill out.

Then you just run around until you see a prompt to pick up a fish off of the ground like you would to pick up dropped melee weapons.  One or two heavy attacks with the fish should kill a man and give you the Slap In The Face trophy / achievement.

You can smash normal people for the improv weapon achievement and it is probably easer to kill them with a hand bag or a purse than it is to kill an enemy with one of those low durability melee weapons.  If you are going to go that route, smash them in free mode because you will get penalized for hurting or killing innocents if you are in a mission.

It's an amazing and layered gaming experience. Literally every play through will probably be different. Not only that, your decisions will trigger unique quests depending on the choices you make. Some of these quests will not happen depending on how you play, others will. Just for example, if you attempt to romance BOTH of the main girls, there is a unique consequence to that as well.

If it is not as awesome as Jade Empire where you get to sleep with both of your romantic pursuits at the same time the night before the finale battle, I won't be impressed and frankly I'd expect that option from a Witcher game.

• Like 1

It's an amazing and layered gaming experience. Literally every play through will probably be different. Not only that, your decisions will trigger unique quests depending on the choices you make. Some of these quests will not happen depending on how you play, others will. Just for example, if you attempt to romance BOTH of the main girls, there is a unique consequence to that as well.

If it is not as awesome as Jade Empire where you get to sleep with both of your romantic pursuits at the same time the night before the finale battle, I won't be impressed and frankly I'd expect that option from a Witcher game.

The person who chases two rabbits catches neither!

• Like 1

Is Dreadnought's Garbage Dump the worst mission/goal/level ever in the Mario platformer series? When did these guys forget the concept of decent level design? Galaxy as a whole is thirty good courses surrounded by repetitious filler and levels that would work alright if the controls weren't so poor. 

Sonic Generations and Rayman Origins blow this game away in terms of AAA platformers from last gen. So does Rayman Legends if we're counting it. I haven't started Sonic Colors yet, but I'll be shocked if it isn't a far better game, too. 

Is Dreadnought's Garbage Dump the worst mission/goal/level ever in the Mario platformer series? When did these guys forget the concept of decent level design? Galaxy as a whole is thirty good courses surrounded by repetitious filler and levels that would work alright if the controls weren't so poor. 

Sonic Generations and Rayman Origins blow this game away in terms of AAA platformers from last gen. So does Rayman Legends if we're counting it. I haven't started Sonic Colors yet, but I'll be shocked if it isn't a far better game, too. 

Severely disagree on anything but Rayman Origins being better (and really 2d vs. 3d platforming is so fucking different), but, yeah, Dreadnought's Garbage Dump is the worst thing in any Mario game. When I got all the stars, that was the last one.

Galaxy is 2D/3D perspective mashup, though. Even the 2D sections aren't any good. Generations does the same thing with 2D and 3D, and so does Colors, I think. I know Generations does. That was way better than this game IMO. 

I hate Wiimote controls as much as anyone but I'm flabbergasted at the thought that Galaxy is even being compared to a modern Sonic game, much less unfavorably. The design is so original, the A/V is impeccable, and I just... I just... Wow.

On the other hand, I completely understand favoring Rayman Origins and Legends. Those are also extremely original and fresh games and the control is more conventional and easy. I don't personally favor them over Galaxy/G2 but it's really close.

So because I own a WiiU and an external hard drive, I've found an extremely inexpensive source of Wii games and emulators. I've been going back and trying some stuff I missed the first go round.

Metroid Other M: I played this for maybe 15 minutes. As soon as Samus started talking about babies and shit I knew this wasn't a Veeg approved sort of game.

Muramasa the Demon Blade: holy shit, hyper-Japanese Metroidvania with ninjas, gorgeous AV and tons of J-Weirdness? Yaaaaaaas. I tried this years ago and didn't get into it but now holy fuck this is going to get beaten for certain. So much love.

Yeah, Sonic Generations was my #2 game of last generation. It's that good. The problem is that SEGA at this point has poisoned the well with Sonic games, so people understandably didn't even bother playing it. 

• Like 1

Alright, this is the only video of this series I'll post in this thread, and the rest will continue to go into Co-oping Toward Hatred. But I know not everyone reads that thread, and so if you don't, you will have missed that WE STARTED A SECOND SHOW! This is where me and my buddy Scott (of the "Dudes on Movies" podcast) discuss one issue that is making gamers whine these days. We break down the facts, then we read some insane internet comments about it, and finally, each of us gives a verdict about if the whining is justified in this case, or if gamers should shut up. For a first episode, I like it. Let me know what you think.

• Like 1