DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I have both an OG XBox and a 360 and love them both dearly, so I'm not a Microsoft hater, but since XB1 and PS4 both get all third-party games, we have to go to exclusives, and I've been checked out on Gears and Halo since I beat the second iteration in each franchise. I just can't care anymore. Other than that, there's what, Sunset Overdrive? Crackdown at some point in the future?

PS4 has the two inFamous games, both of which I liked, MLB The Show, LBP3, and Bloodborne. Then, there's going to be a new HSG, a new Gravity Rush, Horizon: Zero Dawn, No Man's Sky, and a bunch of JRPGs if you're into those (I'm not).

It's not hard to see why people prefer the PS4 lineup of games.

There's no reason to believe No Man's Sky is a true exclusive yet. It's still murky, but all signs point to it being a timed one like Tomb Raider.

I definitely get the gripes about the PS4 menu system. Not having any way to do custom folders or organize stuff is really annoying. Just keep on scrooooooooolllllllllliiiiiiiing until you get to the game you want. Good grief.

As for the PSN Store, personally, I just use the web site. It's much easier to navigate and you can buy stuff and have it download to your PS4 remotely so it's waiting for you later. Also, it has a PS+ section.

I don't do online so can't compare the experiences between PS4 & XB1.

The latest PS4 update also screwed up the Live from Playstation section, which I loved going through while I was board and was too lazy to load up Twitch elsewhere.

I have heard the XBone Dash, or well earlier iterations of it was a lot more frustrating than the one on 360. I am curious to see the populist opinions on it once the new one launches later this year.

I'll eventually be getting an Xbox One, but I am in no hurry to get one due to there not being a lot to separate the two consoles game-wise for me.

If Crackdown doesn't suck and Gears 4 lives up to the hype, I may eventually pick one up. Just not enough differentiation between the two to merit it at all as it stands.

I thought I read somewhere (here, likely) that Sony was going to allow us to group and manage games/apps in the UI with a future patch. Is that not a thing? I also loathe how we can't set custom backgrounds. I loved my Kenny in Heavy Metal South Park background for my PS3!

Setting up groups and chatting with friends isn't too bad. Definitely an upgrade from the PS3 method. Still, the 360 had the easiest and best UI for multiplayer and it's not even close.

There's no reason to believe No Man's Sky is a true exclusive yet. It's still murky, but all signs point to it being a timed one like Tomb Raider.

And Cuphead is on PC, so that's not a true exclusive either. In fact, I thought about getting an XB1 because it would get Cuphead and Crackdown until I realized that Cuphead would run even on my shitty PC.

I'm cool with console exclusives or timed exclusives being added here though because I and many others I know prefer to game on console instead of PC whenever possible. 

That list of games for XB1 is dire to me. "Rare-developed MMO" and "Platinum Games IP that isn't Bayonetta" are not going to get me to plunk down money for your console, personally. Hell, I still haven't plunked down money for a console that has actual Bayonetta 2 on it, for that matter. 

Actually, I see the XB1 lineup as more analogous to the WiiU's lineup of niche-filled exclusives than I do to the PS4's lineup, which covers broad ground for both Western and Japanese game design fans alike. 

EDIT: Typing this does make me miss OG Xbox, truly one of the great consoles of our time. What a great, underrated list of exclusives. It has what I consider the best 3D platformer of all time (JSRF, and no, that's not a totally out there preference to have) along with Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, GunValkyrie, Halo: CE and Halo 2, Deathrow, KotOR 1 and 2 (exclusives at the time), and so many other really good exclusives. Even the disappointing exclusive stuff like Fable and Brute Force was at least interesting. One of the GOAT consoles, truly. 

If Crackdown doesn't suck and Gears 4 lives up to the hype, I may eventually pick one up. Just not enough differentiation between the two to merit it at all as it stands.

I thought I read somewhere (here, likely) that Sony was going to allow us to group and manage games/apps in the UI with a future patch. Is that not a thing? I also loathe how we can't set custom backgrounds. I loved my Kenny in Heavy Metal South Park background for my PS3!

Setting up groups and chatting with friends isn't too bad. Definitely an upgrade from the PS3 method. Still, the 360 had the easiest and best UI for multiplayer and it's not even close.

I think you can still purchase themes for your PS4, but I hate that both consoles these last couple of generations has charged you for those things.

There are some free ones, but 90% of the themes (both free and paid) are god awful.  I wish you could just use your own picture like on PS3.

The PSN store is pretty awful no matter where you look at it.  Who was the genius that put 2000+ Rock Band songs on this week's update page?

• Like 1

I absolutely fucking hate the ui on the X-Box One, and I really like the one on the PS4. But, hey, XBone should be getting a whole new interface next month.

There's nothing coming to XBone I want as much as Shenmue and No Man's Sky and the FF VII remake. But the short-term outlook for games favors Microsoft.

• Like 1

Oh, and having never owned a 360, the backwards compatibility thing is HUGE for me. Potentially hundreds of cheap discounted games I've never played!

Especially if they really do go forward with making the OG X-Box backwards comparable to the One as well, like they hinted at a few weeks ago. I still have a few games. Fuck that PlayStation Netflix for games bullshit.

• Like 2

And Cuphead is on PC, so that's not a true exclusive either. In fact, I thought about getting an XB1 because it would get Cuphead and Crackdown until I realized that Cuphead would run even on my shitty PC.

I'm cool with console exclusives or timed exclusives being added here though because I and many others I know prefer to game on console instead of PC whenever possible.

That list of games for XB1 is dire to me. "Rare-developed MMO" and "Platinum Games IP that isn't Bayonetta" are not going to get me to plunk down money for your console, personally. Hell, I still haven't plunked down money for a console that has actual Bayonetta 2 on it, for that matter.

Actually, I see the XB1 lineup as more analogous to the WiiU's lineup of niche-filled exclusives than I do to the PS4's lineup, which covers broad ground for both Western and Japanese game design fans alike.

EDIT: Typing this does make me miss OG Xbox, truly one of the great consoles of our time. What a great, underrated list of exclusives. It has what I consider the best 3D platformer of all time (JSRF, and no, that's not a totally out there preference to have) along with Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, GunValkyrie, Halo: CE and Halo 2, Deathrow, KotOR 1 and 2 (exclusives at the time), and so many other really good exclusives. Even the disappointing exclusive stuff like Fable and Brute Force was at least interesting. One of the GOAT consoles, truly.

PC doesn't count, no one wants to play games like that.

And you've since basically decided that X-Box games we have only seen one trailer of are already gonna suck, sure, that makes it easy to dismiss this great line-up *eyeroll*

Who was the genius that put 2000+ Rock Band songs on this week's update page?

1967.  I want to know why it kicks you back to the top of the list every time you download something.  That added 2 hours to re-downloading all my songs!

I mean, MMOs suck and so do Platinum Games releases not named Bayonetta. I've played games of both types and know I generally don't like 'em, brah. 

It's kinda like deciding that Shenmue doesn't get you excited even though you don't know much about Shenmue 3, right? 

Many PC gamers think that everyone wants to play games like that, even if I don't, but it's pretty clear that playing Cuphead on PC is more acceptable to me than getting an XB1 for it. Maybe when I can get an XB1 in a pawn shop once the next gen has started for sixty bucks, I might play some of these releases. 

I mean, MMOs suck and so do Platinum Games releases not named Bayonetta. I've played games of both types and know I generally don't like 'em, brah.

It's kinda like deciding that Shenmue doesn't get you excited even though you don't know much about Shenmue 3, right?

No, it's not like that at all. Shenmue is the 3rd game in the series. We know what that is.

Sea of Thieves, we do not know that it's even an MMO! Just because the trailer showed 2 ships does not an MMO make.

And the Visceral thing may be even more ridiculous. They make one series you seem to like, a couple others you don't, and you've decided that every game they make must be just like the ones you don't?

These are the definitions of snap judgements because you don't like the console for some weird reason.

I absolutely fucking hate the ui on the X-Box One, and I really like the one on the PS4. But, hey, XBone should be getting a whole new interface next month.

There's nothing coming to XBone I want as much as Shenmue and No Man's Sky and the FF VII remake. But the short-term outlook for games favors Microsoft.

The FF VII remake is coming to X-Box One and No Man's Sky likely is as well.

Are they? I've only seen them mentioned on PS4.

Anyway, I own both. My ps4 gets way more play. Shenmue 3 is my most anticipated game basically in over a decade. But I've got nothing against the XBone. I'm glad I own it.

Are they? I've only seen them mentioned on PS4.

Anyway, I own both. My ps4 gets way more play. Shenmue 3 is my most anticipated game basically in over a decade. But I've got nothing against the XBone. I'm glad I own it.

The FF VII at Sony's press conference said "Coming first to PS4", so yeah, that's coming to X-Box One. No Man's Sky is alittle more ambigious, but yeah, that is likely to be a timed exclusive too.

No, it's not like that at all. Shenmue is the 3rd game in the series. We know what that is.

Sea of Thieves, we do not know that it's even an MMO! Just because the trailer showed 2 ships does not an MMO make.

And the Visceral thing may be even more ridiculous. They make one series you seem to like, a couple others you don't, and you've decided that every game they make must be just like the ones you don't?

These are the definitions of snap judgements because you don't like the console for some weird reason.

I mean, literally the first thing that I said is "not a Microsoft hater," but no, I don't have interest in those games, and yes, Sea of Thieves has been described as a MMO ("multiplayer adventure game = MMO in these non-local multi/online gaming days, man). 

We don't know what Shenmue 3 really will be either, even though we can make a guess. Then again, Platinum typically makes games in a style that I don't enjoy or that riff on other games they've made - see TW101 being Bayonetta-lite. I can make a guess on Scalebound based on experience, too. 

You're too wrapped up in Console Warz, bud. It's not 1993 anymore. Sadly.

What does that mean, "been described as"? No one has played the thing yet. There's only been a trailer. Phil Spencer was pretty clear that it's not an MMO by tradional standards, not the ones redefining them for what you want.

Just because you claim not be a Microsoft hater, doesn't mean you aren't. The console wars comment was obviously just pot,kettle, black.