DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

EDIT: Typing this does make me miss OG Xbox, truly one of the great consoles of our time. What a great, underrated list of exclusives. It has what I consider the best 3D platformer of all time (JSRF, and no, that's not a totally out there preference to have) along with Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, 

Shenmue 2 came out on Dreamcast. I have a copy upstairs.

Also, Rocket League isn't out on XBone.

Transformers: Devastation is pretty fun - I ended up preordering and got the Nemesis Prime, Goldfire and Red Alert skins, each with their own voice cues (although it doesn't affect the story at all).   It's a fun little beat 'em up.  I can't see being too invested time-wise in it, though.

Rock Band 4 is fun as long as you don't care much about customization or playing online. 

Fresh you can't make a comment like you did and not expect this response. When you say I'd still pick this console you're going to get "I'd pick this one and here's why"

Don't mind those type at all. But, "this game sucks based on one trailer" is pretty ridiculous.

What does that mean, "been described as"? No one has played the thing yet. There's only been a trailer. Phil Spencer was pretty clear that it's not an MMO by tradional standards, not the ones redefining them for what you want.

Just because you claim not be a Microsoft hater, doesn't mean you aren't. The console wars comment was obviously just pot,kettle, black.

I mean, all I literally did was say "Here are the games I love that make me prefer PS4." I even qualified my love of past Microsoft consoles to show that I'm not just hating on MS or XB1 for no reason.

Meanwhile, you're stanning for XB1 like you're on Phil Spencer's payroll and double-posting how upset you are that I wasn't taken by the same game reveals that you were. Why so emotional about it? 

Don't mind those type at all. But, "this game sucks based on one trailer" is pretty ridiculous.

This is exactly what I mean. This is the type of illogical strawman I expect from a salty eight-year-old whose mom can only afford one console for him. I never said anything even REMOTELY like "this game sucks based on one trailer." There are more than simply one trailer out there for these games; there are interviews about them, reports about them, etc. I also didn't say that they would suck individually; I simply said why they don't interest me (MMOs in general are repetitive in nature, at least to me, and P2P doesn't do anything for me; I'm not a big fan of Kamiya or Platinum Games generally speaking). 

Did you not get enough sleep or something? Is that the cause of this crankiness? I know a grown man isn't serious about dem console warz. 

Boy, is that some revisionist history. "The game blows because it's an MMO" (except it's not) is very different from "I wasn't taken by".

If you're gonna be a hateful, negatuve douche for no reason, I see no reason not to call you on it. Nothing emotional about that.

Keep on searching those pawn shops, console warrior.

Boy, is that some revisionist history. "The game blows because it's an MMO" (except it's not) is very different from "I wasn't taken by".

If you're gonna be a hateful, negatuve douche for no reason, I see no reason not to call you on it. Nothing emotional about that.

Keep on searching those pawn shops, console warrior.

Damn, so emotional. I guess that's why people make fun of you around here. I can't believe I got baited into some GameFAQs level shit by a grown man. Shiiiiit.

Keep stanning for a piece of plastic, dude. I'm sure Phil Spencer will want to be your friend because you're doing the Lord's work here on the internet. 

• Like 1

Fresh you can't make a comment like you did and not expect this response. When you say I'd still pick this console you're going to get "I'd pick this one and here's why"

If you don't have time to play a lot of games, trailers are what a person has to go by and is going to influence whether they're going to look further into that game or not. And reviews of course. I can watch a trailer and decide that I'm not interested and move on. Of course later I might decide to get into that game based on what kind of response the game is getting but that's kind of the purpose of a trailer.

• Like 1

EDIT: Typing this does make me miss OG Xbox, truly one of the great consoles of our time. What a great, underrated list of exclusives. It has what I consider the best 3D platformer of all time (JSRF, and no, that's not a totally out there preference to have) along with Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, 

I forgot about that. Did it come out in NA? 

Psyonix is talking about bringing Rocket League elsewhere, though it remains to be seen where. I still think Nintendo is missing the ball by not getting some of these arcade sports games up on their console. Rocket League and Super Mega Baseball come to mind as obvious fits for the audience of that console. 

If you don't have time to play a lot of games, trailers are what a person has to go by and is going to influence whether they're going to look further into that game or not. And reviews of course. I can watch a trailer and decide that I'm not interested and move on. Of course later I might decide to get into that game based on what kind of response the game is getting but that's kind of the purpose of a trailer.

Sure, but ONE trailer more than a year before either game comes out? On new IPs? Writing games off for that is just being childish. Doing it based on incorrect information is worse.

EDIT: Gamers hate games maybe even more than wrestling fans hate wrestling. Shit's ridiculous.

I forgot about that. Did it come out in NA?

No but everyone played it due to the flaws in Sega's disc protection scheme.

Oh, so like my *ahem* TOTALLY LEGAL COPIES of Border Down and Ikaruga.

Gotcha. 

I still collect as many legit games for Dreamcast as possible just because I love that console. Plus, half of the games that I like haven't been ported to something newer. 

Big Fresh still whining about people not liking XB1 games? Dude, get over it. You're the dude that posted about someone challenging you to WWE 2K16 on PS4:

Play it on a real console, nerd.

You are a man whose self-worth is tied to consoles. This isn't to make fun of you, and I promise that I will stop posting to you about this topic after this, but please re-evaluate your life, dude. I'm serious, you are coming off like the thirteen-year-old kids who post on GameFAQs. I still think you MUST be trolling me. You can't be serious that "not into those games" = "I HATE ALL GAMES RARGH." Like, you've gone to a caricature of gamers in your head to protect your love for a piece of plastic. I'm honestly bewildered.

Like seriously, please evaluate what you've posted here. I'm just going to do you a favor and assume that you're having a tough day and it ended up coming out like this because if this is really you, damn son. 

• Like 2

Jesus Christ dude, that post was not even talking to you, that shit ended. And here you go again....

If you said , "I'm not into these games" in the first place, there would have never been an issue. But you didn't, you said "sucks". Your revisionist history isn't going to change that.

And taking what was OBVIOUSLY a joke about a Skandar Akbar match and trying to turn it into a serious point is laughable.

What you fail to realize is this isn't about either console, it's about you making snap judgements. About games that have barely been revealed. About things we know nothing about, and you don't even have the genres right! They could be on PS4, X-Box, Wii U, doesn't matter. I told you that you had your information wrong and your response was "You're emotional!" To mask your ignorance. Ugh. Grow up.

So, in order to move past the sub-GameFAQs level posts in this thread, I will just post again that I got a Wii a few weeks ago (not from a pawn shop, but from this pretty cool vintage game store they have here and in Austin called Game Over Videogames), and I really enjoy it. I bought one for my family when they were actually still in production because they're more into the simpler motion control type stuff, but even though the popular misconception about the Wii is that the motion controls are shoehorned in to most every game, that's really not true except for Donkey Kong Country Returns, which I think would be much better without some of the motion control stuff that feels not very precise. Like, there's a big difference between shaking for that Luna-assisted spin jump in Galaxy, which works just fine, and completing some of the tumbling moves in DKCR using the motion controls.

Right now, I haven't even cut on my PS4 for much other than streaming video in awhile. In the time that I get to play games, I'm just getting used Wii games and then trading them back in if I'm not a fan because the better Wii games hold value pretty well. Some quick thoughts:

Super Mario Galaxy: I talked about this game quite a bit before, and so I'll keep it brief: It's a stunning game visually and the orchestral music is awesome, but I feel like there were fewer really good, clever stars in this game than there were in Super Mario 64, a game that admittedly had its share of head-scratchers for stars (like the one where you had to cannon-shoot yourself into a specific portion of a wall or the one where you had to find the false wall to take a slide to the star). I'm almost done beating it as Luigi because I just want to have the 121-star file on my Wii to say that I did it. 

Super Mario Strikers Charged: I don't particularly like this game, but I think FIFA Street and Sega Soccer Slam (one of my all-time favorite arcade sports games) did soccer so much better that really, this game doesn't stand up to some solid competition. It's not a terrible game or anything, but I've settled into "charged shot 2X, use power-ups earned to clear space for a mega-strike" as a clear winning formula, and the only time I lose is when the computer gets so good in the upper cups that they make ridiculous shots at will. 

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: I don't know if I'm ready to say that this is the best of the Vs. fighters, but I really love it. It feels more intuitive for me for whatever reason and I'm actually good enough to put together some impressive combo strings. Maybe I'm just doing this with S-Tier guys (I don't know what the tiers are, but it's quite possible that Yatterman-1 is just S-Tier and I'm not very good at all), but I love it. I just wish it had forward parry in it. 

Red Steel 2: Hidden gem! I bought this on a whim last weekend and it is pretty fucking awesome and actually captures the feel of a sword game in a way that I didn't expect. I have WiiMote+ and it feels so accurate. I wish Ubi would revive this series for Oculus/Morpheus. That might be the type of game that sells me on VR. 

Best Buy has God of War 3 Remaster and Bloodborne for $24.99 today. I plan on at least picking up GoW 3.

Bloodborne just sounds like a pile of shame game that I would never put more than an hour into. Not due to lack of interest, but due to always being more interested in other things.

How long is that going on? I'd like to get Gears, but I'm already getting the Uncharted Collection today.

It's God of War 3: Remastered and not Gears, and it's Best Buy's Deal of the Day.

I thought about getting Uncharted today, but I am going to wait until I find it marked down. I am sure it'll be $39.99 on Amazon or something for a brief moment in a couple of weeks.

What Kanye West thinks about microtransactions

Fuck any game company that puts in-app purchases on kids games!!!

That makes no sense!!! We give the iPad to our child and every 5 minutes there's a new purchase!!!

If a game is made for a 2 year old, just allow them to have fun and give the parents a break for Christ sake.

Yeezus has spoken