DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Playing some stuff.

Super Mario Galaxy: I have played this before, though not as extensively as I might have, because I bought my family a Wii for Christmas, but I never bought one myself until recently. It's a game that is thoughtful and creative. It's beautiful (wish it was in HD) and whimsical. It's sort of ruined by the forced Wiimote and Nunchuk, however. It's not just a GIT GUD sort of thing, I don't think. It simply isn't as precise as the Pro Controller would be, and jumping can be spotty even after a few hours of gameplay. There is variety in the galaxies and there are many different ways to travel from one planetoid to the next. It's at its best when it offers minor puzzles and exploration for secret stars. When it's about actual platforming, the game falls apart. I get why people love this game, but I can't say that I do. I want to love it. I'll get all 120 stars because why not, but I probably won't revisit it again like I do SMB, SMB3, SMW, SMW2, SM64 (another game with iffy controls/camera, but the exploration makes up for it big time), etc. 

Jeanne d'Arc: I bought this because it is three bucks on PSN and I've heard good reviews. I do like some tactical RPGs (mostly Shining Force), and I really do enjoy this one. I feel like the game is loaded toward the player, and as I level up, I bet it becomes pretty easy, but it's a bright, colorful tactical RPG with lots of drops that allow you to customize characters in a number of different ways. I'm not paying attention to the story because even though I really like French history, I don't like it (or anything) when mixed with Japanese RPG storytelling tropes. Thank you for letting me skip things!

Tokyo Jungle: I used my PSNow free trial to pretty much just play this for a week. First of all, I love how weird this game is. I think that the various events that are going on all over the map are actually really awesome because you can go to (or avoid) them as you wish. It feels like a real accomplishment to make it 30+ days, and it feels like even more of an accomplishment to be a Pekingese surviving in a world of crocodiles and lions for any semblance of time. Even so, the map is a bit smaller and even with the omnivore/herbivore different methods of play, unlocking all the different animals starts to feel a bit chore-like.This is a good game for playing in dribs and drabs more than it is a game to get too locked onto for a long period of time.

Mario Strikers Charged: This game feels more like an obstacle course with a soccer game going on within it, and while it is fun, I prefer my arcade sports to be focused on the sport first and foremost. I was hoping for a game that rivaled Sega Soccer Slam (one of my favorite arcade sports games ever), but it really isn't that, unfortunately. 

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is coming in the mail today. I enjoyed playing this quite a bit in the arcade and I love the Vs. games, so I'm pretty excited. 

RUSEV IS A BESERK FAN! MY LOVE FOR HIM HAS GROWN EVEN MORE.

Also, Windjammers looks awesome.

That's what surprised me and makes me love Rusev more.

And I feel his pain about buying a game every week and not ever playing it. I mean I got MGS V and Tearaway Unfolded still sealed while I'm working on Platinum'ing (Red Faction Guerrilla, Far Cry 2, etc.) games from years ago.

Your JT IS FINALLY PLAYING SLEEPING DOGS~! report.

- Finished Case 2.  A criminal organization murdering their rivals and selling their organs on the Black Market is a brilliant plot.  I wonder why it has never been in a movie or something.

- I am digging the dumbed down "If you buy the most expensive car or motorcycle in class, you are almost guaranteed to win a race" thing.  The Terre GT is your Class B beast car.  8 more races left.  I will probably do them all in one shot before moving on with the next Triad mission.

- The Aberdeen Houseboat is not so bad once you get the furnishings for it.

- Finished all of the Drug Busts in Aberdeen. 

- FACE LEVEL 10~!

- Martial Arts Club: Aberdeen complete.   The Damage Resistance and Uninterruptable Attacks you get when your Face Meter is max makes a huge difference as does going in with all my buffs on/  The Arm Breaker move seems to put down most guys automatically but I still have to use strikes on Grapplers.   Only Martial Arts Club: Kennedy Town is left.

- Karaoke songs at K-Bar are still locked.  I guess I have to do more Triad missions until that nightclub plays into the storyline.

So much shit talking. Like Olympic Gold medal level shit talking. Never knew Kofi was such a natural heel.

I've seen a lot of great videos from DVDVR but this has to be close to the top.  I wish I could like this twice.  I mean my man was so salty so quick, I loved it.

So much shit talking. Like Olympic Gold medal level shit talking. Never knew Kofi was such a natural heel.

I've seen a lot of great videos from DVDVR but this has to be close to the top. I wish I could like this twice. I mean my man was so salty so quick, I loved it.

You must not have seen the Co-oping Toward Hatred topic.

Kofi's steady stream of shit-talking is always hilarious. Then he gets beat and shuts up real quick. I love these videos because they're pretty much facsimiles of what it was like to play video games with my friends in college. Good times. 

I've seen a lot of great videos from DVDVR but this has to be close to the top.  I wish I could like this twice.  I mean my man was so salty so quick, I loved it.

You can like it twice. Once on DVDVR and once on youtube.

Your JT IS FINALLY PLAYING SLEEPING DOGS~! report.

- K-Bar finally came into the plot but it wasn't with the romantic interest I thought it would be.  Hung out with King and Illyana, got her number, got 94% for singing Take On Me by Aha (KARAOKE ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED~!), beat up some thugs, and mission accomplished. 

- Went out on Illyana's weird free running date thingie.  ALL LOCKBOX LOCATIONS UNLOCKED~!

- POLICE LEVEL 10~!  FREE WEAPONS FROM COP CARS~!  ACHIEVEMENT~!

- Got past Kennedy Town Martial Arts Club.  ACHIEVEMENT~!  Was a little bummed because I expected it to be harder than the one in Aberdeen since Kenndy Town is the location of the last safehouse, but the Kennedy Town Fight Club was a breeze.  It is not even fair once you have the advanced bone breaking moves, all food buffs on, and have enough Face so that you get unblockable attacks and damage resistance when the meter is active.

- Spend a little over two mil to purchase every car in the game (ACHIEVEMENT~!).  Bought out all of the clothing stores and remembered that I won't get the achievement for owning every piece of clothing in the game until I find the all of the clothing items in the lockboxes.  Thank God I already banged the Russian babe for that bit of info for my map.

- Sometimes I hate this fucking game.   You can't get to one of the lockboxes, a security camera, and one of the Jade Statues until you do the mission, Bad Luck.  Hacking the camera and stealing the statue is part of the mission, hut if you don't remember to get the lockbox you can't access it unless you replay the mission.  The community seems to stay gated in free mode and you can't get back in.  As mentioned before, I had already had Wei get his freak on with Illyana so I didn't forget to get the lockbox early in the mission and then get the statue (one more to go and it also looks inaccessible until a future story mission) and the final security camera I needed for the Hong Kong Super Hacker achievement.

- Finished all of the Drug Busts.  Good bye, revenue stream.

- Mahjong for money is fun!  I am a domino playing mother fucker!

- Finished all of the races on the map.  Wondered why I got no achievement and then did the mission with Ricky and that douchebag promoter where you have to chauffer the actress and her friend and you end up getting in a street race.  I assume that when I call to ask out Sandra, I will unlock more races I have to win.  Not really a problem now since I own every car in the game and the Velocita smokes all competition in Class A auto races and the Terre GT blows off doors in Class B auto races.  The only races I have issues with are the Class A bike races.   I have the most expensive racing motorcycle but everyone seems to have bikes as fast as mine in Class A.

- Encountered a glitch.  Got a phone call from Not Ping that I was not allowed to answer because Ricky messaged me right after that for the mission where you entertain King at the K-Bar. I assume that was Not Ping calling to break up with me but she actually doesn't because she is your de facto girlfriend in the Nightmare in North Point DLC.

- Also got a phone call about Illyana's friend, Katoushka, going missing but none of the Face missions I unlocked and completed had anything to do with her.  Hopefully she's not what this new police case I've unlocked is all about.  If it is, I hope she's not dead.

- Weird shit is happening with the Melee achievement. So far I've used a kitchen knife, baton, crowbar, cleaver, tire iron, purse, shopping bag, umbrella, the door cutting tool, and now the wok. That should be ten but no dice on the achievement unlocking.   Either I missed nuking someone with the crowbar in an earlier mission or the achievement is bugged.

- Have no clue how many different guns I've used to kill dudes.  Just recently had a pump shotgun enter the picture.

- RIP Uncle Po.   I was kinda sad that the old man didn't make it.  It will be a shame to haul Broken Nose Jiang and Ricky's asses into jail once this is all done.  I kinda like them..

- I hope I get to punch the crap out of Raymond Mak and Chief Inspector Pendrew for flpping Jackie Ma.  Not cool.

Witcher 3 really started opening up for me after I started breaking into level 20s and getting the upgraded armor sets from the Witcher schools.

The No Place Like Home Quest literally makes it one of the best games ever.  This game literally destroys the entire Mass Effect series.  It's like this game is a response to all the lies BioWare fed us for Mass Effect 3.

Don't believe me?  Assemble a full crew for The Battle of Kaer Morhen and watch the excellence unfold.  

No I won't.  Witcher 3 is the best game of the year.

No, Metal Gear V is, but even so, the part about "destroying Mass Effect" is the ridiculous part.

Both of you are talking about GotY, and yet both of you badly misspelled "Rocket League." How odd.

• Like 3

No I won't.  Witcher 3 is the best game of the year.

No, Metal Gear V is, but even so, the part about "destroying Mass Effect" is the ridiculous part.

Both of you are talking about GotY, and yet both of you badly misspelled "Rocket League." How odd.

Rocket League is in my top 5 right now, but MGSV is a game I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. It's unbelievable. And I didn't want to like it! I find the overall story of Metal Gear dumb as hell and had no love for that series until this game.

Witcher 3 really started opening up for me after I started breaking into level 20s and getting the upgraded armor sets from the Witcher schools.

The No Place Like Home Quest literally makes it one of the best games ever.  This game literally destroys the entire Mass Effect series.  It's like this game is a response to all the lies BioWare fed us for Mass Effect 3.

Don't believe me?  Assemble a full crew for The Battle of Kaer Morhen and watch the excellence unfold.  

I love the weight and the ambiguity of the choices you make.  It really blows away everything Bioware has done in that regard.  There's a really great sense of place in the setting, too.  I just wish the actual gameplay was more enjoyable.  I'm not really feeling the combat at all, although the animations are nice.

No I won't. Witcher 3 is the best game of the year.

What a weird way to spell Super Mario Maker.

Metal Gear V is horrendously overrated.  All the big outlets had those 10 out of 10s ready in their basket no matter what.

I love the weight and the ambiguity of the choices you make.  It really blows away everything Bioware has done in that regard.  There's a really great sense of place in the setting, too.  I just wish the actual gameplay was more enjoyable.  I'm not really feeling the combat at all, although the animations are nice.

It's an amazing and layered gaming experience. Literally every play through will probably be different. Not only that, your decisions will trigger unique quests depending on the choices you make. Some of these quests will not happen depending on how you play, others will. Just for example, if you attempt to romance BOTH of the main girls, there is a unique consequence to that as well.

I love the combat for Witcher 3.  Once you get the hang of blocking, parrying and reposte, it's really cool.  I only wish there was a way for Geralt to go two swords at once. I also love the fist fights.  The game has tons of variety. 

Motherfuckers are forgetting about Fallout 4 (unless they fuck it up)

I didn't forget about Fallout 4. Bethesda sucks as a dev, but Fallout is so un-fuckupable that it's going to be GotY when it's all said and done, more than likely.

But right now, I think it's Rocket League. TW3 and MGSV are acceptable alternate answers though. As for Mario Maker, uh...I'd rather play LBP, let's put it that way.