DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

After the talk about Chris Hero's match with Masato Tanaka this weekend, I got to thinking about Hero. He's never going to be a WWE guy, and I doubt TNA has much interest in him. Is he forever going to be one of the best guys on the indies, or does he end up with Jarrett, or possibly settle down for the rest of his career in Japan?

Anyone know which agent is in love with the shoulder into the ring post spot?

It's everywhere.

Holy crap, you're right. Once I read this, it's like I now remember every single one of those in each match at Mania. Hell, Brock did the shit at least twice.

I think at the Elimination Chamber it happened in three or four matches. It seems like such an odd spot to be so popular among everybody right now. And somehow no one has noticed everyone else is doing it.

After the talk about Chris Hero's match with Masato Tanaka this weekend, I got to thinking about Hero. He's never going to be a WWE guy, and I doubt TNA has much interest in him. Is he forever going to be one of the best guys on the indies, or does he end up with Jarrett, or possibly settle down for the rest of his career in Japan?

I think Chris Hero is much like Alex Shelley in that he will be happier in Japan. Hero did mention he is open to the idea of going to TNA, but I don't see TNA calling as they are on a quest to sign only cheap talent and former WWE talent. I don't know what Hero is making in Japan, but I am sure TNA will not even attempt to offer him anything close.

I think at the Elimination Chamber it happened in three or four matches. It seems like such an odd spot to be so popular among everybody right now. And somehow no one has noticed everyone else is doing it.

Yeah, it's overused right now.  It feels like Reigns does it every other match...which is kind of unbelievable because you'd think in kayfabe terms he'd learn to avoid it

Dive spots are getting overused as well.  Rollins' babyface routine now is almost a note for note copy of Bryan's house of fire routine with the reckless dives.

I also think I've seen more Singapore canes on RAW this year then I did in the last several years combined.  At one point there were like 3 RAWs in a row that heavily incorporated it in matches.....and then it was a big part of the Bryan-HHH buildup.  Pretty ridiculous.  

All very minor complaints when the quality of matches in the company is so high right now, but noticeable stuff

• Like 1

It occurred to me as we discuss corner posts, Singapore canes, and dives in overabundance ... oh, shit, our smarkiness is attempting to rise up and make it uncool to love this shit again! Quick, talk about something unquestionably awesome, stat!

It's really weird to think that Bryan Danielson is essentially the Steve Austin/Hulk Hogan of this coming boom period. Not sure if anyone called that. Then again, not sure if anyone predicted that Stunning Steve Austin would lead a boom period. 

It'll be interesting to see where John Cena fits into the picture going forward.  

It's really weird to think that Bryan Danielson is essentially the Steve Austin/Hulk Hogan of this coming boom period. Not sure if anyone called that. Then again, not sure if anyone predicted that Stunning Steve Austin would lead a boom period. 

It'll be interesting to see where John Cena fits into the picture going forward.  

Might be smart for him to take some time off, let the dust settle and come back without the spotlight being elsewhere.

Might be smart for him to take some time off, let the dust settle and come back without the spotlight being elsewhere.

He's really where Hulk Hogan was in 1993. He doesn't fit with the new style. Too bad Cena isn't mainstream famous enough to get a "Thunder in Paradise" style show to keep him away from the business for a little while. I honestly think that WWE has reached the point where Cena leaving for a while wouldn't affect business. 

I assume facing the hard camera during a pin is like a Kevin Dunn Golden Rule. Actually, the whole idea of "TV" wrestling versus house show wrestling or wrestling just for a crowd is pretty fascinating to discuss.

Also, and I love Harper, but his moveset is so incongruous for his character. Not that I don't love it, but dude is busting out awesome superkicks, dives, Michinoku drivers etc. It's all awesome, but just somewhat odd.

I assume facing the hard camera during a pin is like a Kevin Dunn Golden Rule. Actually, the whole idea of "TV" wrestling versus house show wrestling or wrestling just for a crowd is pretty fascinating to discuss.

Also, and I love Harper, but his moveset is so incongruous for his character. Not that I don't love it, but dude is busting out awesome superkicks, dives, Michinoku drivers etc. It's all awesome, but just somewhat odd.

Goes back to the WWE is the Indies joke from above. These guys wrestle the "I need to make my youtube clips look cool" style. It's awesome that Harper can bust out a Hurricanranna...but he's made it. He doesn't need that crap anymore. He just needs to be doing big running boots and lariating guys heads off.

He should face Brock again. Do Brock -v- Cena at Extreme Rules, and have Brock go over putting Cena out for a month or two. While Cena's gone, use that time to elevate other folks. Then bring Cena back for Summerslam against Cesaro.