DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I know I've told this story on here a few times, but it's always worth repeating.  I was sitting in the very back row of a packed theater (I no longer remember what the movie was) when the trailer for Devil came on.  And as it progressed, the theater got dead silent, and you could see people shifting forward in their seats, leaning in...  Then M. Night's name came up, and the entire room just changed.  A bit of laughter, people getting comfortable again, a bit of that obnoxious conversation during trailers.  I've literally never in my life seen anything like that outside that one event.  His name just KILLED the interest in the movie.

• Like 2

Watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World for the first time in a few years on DVD. I thought it was great on my original viewing and I still feel that way. Fun, fun, fun. DVD comes with a lot of special features, I've never watched them. Will have to.

I said to my buddy during the restaurant scene "Dood. I think he's dead." because Bruce sat down without having to pull the chair out.

I think there's an commentary track on a dvd somewhere where someone involved with the movie says he was so sure that they were giving the twist away with that scene.  Meant to look that up last night to get the specifics, but forgot.

I saw Shyamalan's first three, then nothing else until The Happening, then Devil.  You know, The Happening is of course a terrible movie, but that jump scare with the life-size doll in the bed is a really, really good one.  It certainly flipped out a whole bunch of people in the theatre when I saw it.  (At the time, it actually made me hate it more because I was thinking "Oh, it's not bad enough that this entire movie sucks, now I'm being tortured with jump scares too?")

I seem to be one of the few people who actually liked The Village including the ending.

On the other hand I absolutely hate Signs. I'm surprised so many people here claim to have liked it. Awful, awful movie.

I don't hate Signs as much as The Happening, though.

I think I've told this before on here. I've used to watch movies with 4 or 5 friends of mine at my place like once a week for years and years and most of the time I would pick the movie we would watch.

They did not always like the movie I chose, but only once did I ever apologize for a movie, that was for The Happening.

Yeah, I hated The Village and Signs and The Happening. 

The Village was better when it only lasted a half hour and was an episode of The Twilight Zone called A Hundred Years Over the Rim.

And oh my God, Signs.  If you are an alien race and water is your weakness, why are you attacking a planet where over seventy percent of the surface area of the planet is covered with the stuff and it also falls from the sky in the form of rain? 

The Happening is just plain stupid.  You would think that plants would have put the breaks on humanity a long time ago if they were that smart and spiteful.

The Happening is at the top of my list for worst movies of all time. Most "bad" movies you can laugh at a little bit. Plan 9 is considered "The Worst Movie Ever", but it's bad in a good way that you can laugh at. I can't think of one good thing about The Happening. The story was awful, the direction was bad, and the acting was just plain horrible. I mean, there can be a bad movie but then you're like "Yeah, the movie was bad, but Sam Jackson was awesome in it". The Happening didn't even have that. I was ANGRY at how bad that movie was when I finished watching it. I'm getting angry now just thinking about how bad it is. That movie never should've happened. What a piece of shit.

• Like 3

What is somehow even worse about the Happening is that little fuck M. Night trying to cover for his shithouse work by saying he intentionally tried to make the shittiest movie ever.

Another Netflix special:

The Central Park Five - Ken Burns documentary on the five black teenagers (wrongfully) convicted of a 1989 attempted murder and rape of a white female jogger in Central Park.  If you want to be angry at a whole bunch of people at once, this is a good choice to watch.  You've got the cops focusing on this group of teenagers for no apparent reason other than they were somewhere in the park that same night.  And then they interrogate them for hours and hours without attorneys or family, eventually coercing factually incorrect false confessions from four of them.  Then the DA pushes forward with a prosecution with - literally - only the confessions as evidence.  The defense attorneys are incompetent, either doing nothing or claiming "well, he just watched" instead of actually saying their guy was not present.  It's all a big mess.  And, oh yeah, the cops had DNA from the case and DNA from the guy who actually committed the crime and either never compared the two or ignored the results.  The end result is a powerful documentary that is well-made but a complete home run.  The question of what crimes the five may have actually committed that night is never answered, for example.  Still, this is a good doc.  8/10.

* - The end of the movie states that the boys' lawsuit against NYC and others had yet to reach resolution.  Since the making of the movie, a settlement was announced but I don't know if that ever came to fruition.  Meanwhile, the DA in the case still thinks the boys are guilty even though the only DNA present at the scene was that of the guy who confessed.

I liked the Happening.  Yes, it is actively terrible, but I have an utter abject fear of being forced to kill myself.  That's why when I'm on the roofs of buildings or near cliffs, I try to keep a good distance from the edge so I don't get filled with the overwhelming urge to throw myself off. 

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67049

Do your best to contain your excitement, guys. Plans are in the works for Barbie: The Movie.

I hope they pull a Chris Nolan and make it super dark. Barbie is a troubled FBI agent hunting down down an elusive serial killer; she doesn't know her boyfriend Ken is cooking meth on the side. 

Screenplay by Bret Easton Ellis