DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 5/1 - 5/7/2024 - Little Ditty 'Bout Jack & Tony Khan

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

They’re the type of hard, like a baseball or softball, where even if it’s lightly thrown at you, it’s going to fucking sting, in the face anyway.

Wait - softballs aren't soft? Then how did they get the name?

31 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Wait - softballs aren't soft? Then how did they get the name?

I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not…

I guess I’m the event you’re being serious, softballs aren’t soft. I actually don’t know why they have that name. Maybe it has a softer core?

All I know is that they’re also hard as fuck.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I guess I’m the event you’re being serious, softballs aren’t soft. I actually don’t know why they have that name. Maybe it has a softer core?

All I know is that they’re also hard as fuck.

Softballs used to be balls of yarn with the leather covering, so they were literally soft. They became more like baseballs years later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Such a great show. The Omega/Elite angle was tremendous. Excellent promo from Kenny and then everything that followed had good timing and excellent execution. I'm amongst the lowest voters on Authority Figures, heel or otherwise, but not the Jacksons nor the creative offended my sensibilities here. The opening was terrifically funny, TK included, as was everything they did on the show. Loved the Opening video. Willow v Skye Blue was my match of the night. Willowmania is fast approaching. She's now killing it on the mic weekly along with the fantastic in-ring work. Skye has been wonderful since the heel turn. Total star in the making. Both Skye and Willow murdered their shit beautifully in the Main. Some incredibly brutal spots. The Women's Division as as whole has been 10 fold better in the last number of weeks. Mariah v Serena was also a strong bout. Stoked for Serena v Toni. That said, the corny Paradise lock has got to go. That's the worst. Not quite sure of the title shot logic, but I'm game for Swerve v Christian. So happy to have the Wayne Family back on my TV. Mother Wayne stood tall in the opening segment. Heel Christian is a gift that keeps on giving. Copeland v Buddy was a solid opening match with an excellent latter half. More dumb angling from the House perfectly laid out above by @JLowe (how do we tag now?). Samoa Joe v Isaih Kassidy was a perfect TV enhancement match. The Walk Off/Dive was absolutely brutal looking and completely awesome. OC/Trent angle was brief but effective. I love Don Callis looming around this. Jericho v Shibata was fantastic. Murderous chopping galore. The puck to the face looked brutal. Everytime Jericho meanders as a babyface ppl always seem to forget what a capable to excellent heel he is. Jericho/Bill is perfection. I would not be surprised if this pairing Actually results in Bill becoming a top star. "Aside from my own actions, what did I do to deserve this treatment?' Stokely is really coming into his own in combination with Stat and Willow. Claudio v Brian Cage was a nice showcase. I wanna see this one again. Copeland/O'Reilly promo was very good. I like that pairing. Papa Magie brings great energy to the broadcast booth. I liked him pointing out how great White/Asses entrance music is. I wholeheartedly agree. Jay White v Dante was a strong TV bout. All these matches would obviously have benefitted greatly from a bit more crowd heat, but the work was tight regardless. Excellent Deonna promo. I love her going all FBI. I sense, in her proper heel role, she may surprise a few who may have written her off early in this run. Good Swerve promo. Working off Christian should benefit his fair to good mic game. Romero v O'Reilly seems to have gotten slept upon. Not enough story for some, not enough heat for others. The tight solid wrestling thrilled me throughout. Saraya/Harley promo was excellent as per usual. Harley makes the most of her minutes. I'm endlessly entertained by her hilarity. Very curious to see what Harley v Tiny Storm looks like. Good Roddy/Kingdom promo even if nobody cares. By the way, Arkady Aura is terrific. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to throw a name plate under her. Or give her an introduction of sorts (same goes for her innocuous debut on Collision). Even early in her run, she's clearly a natural broadcaster. The  hour 3 Rampage portion underserved the star power and inevitably lost audience momentum, but nonetheless there was a lot to like in the hour. Overall, this was a terribly fun Rampage/Dynamite combo.  

• Like 2

Quick thoughts:

• I think I liked the Copeland match on paper with the limb focus but no one wants to see evil spooky Copeland teases.
  • Shibata looked so happy the first time he dropped Jericho on the hockey pucks!
  • Pandering babyface Serena Deeb trying to connect with the audience is something. No one else except for MJF was acting that way though so it kind of works in the moment because it's so over the top and the audience really wants to be pandered to.
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Remember the promo Danielson cut when he was kayfabe released from the NXT competition?  We need Chuck Taylor to come back like, "I don't know what the future holds for Chuck Taylor, but "No Gimmicks Needed" Steve the Samurai is going to be just fine!  (or Frank "Grabass" Hernandez, or Cuba Gooding III, or "Hard Wood" Rich Mahogany , or...).

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

So apparently the only people immune to the black mist are Willow and Karen Jarrett?

Willow is a beacon of light and joy and is already just the right bit misanthropic - "Nothing matters, smile anyway!"

Karen is already too black-hearted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Quick thoughts:

• I think I liked the Copeland match on paper with the limb focus but no one wants to see evil spooky Copeland teases.
  • Shibata looked so happy the first time he dropped Jericho on the hockey pucks!
  • Pandering babyface Serena Deeb trying to connect with the audience is something. No one else except for MJF was acting that way though so it kind of works in the moment because it's so over the top and the audience really wants to be pandered to.

You’re reading the current Deeb role as pandering to the crowd - like (a much toned down) Learning Tree? I think she’s just tweening while readying a more overt heel for Timeless Toni. Matt, what are your thoughts on the paradise lock?

Agreed, nobody wants to see spooky Copeland. Even so, very much looking forward to Malakai v Adam!!!

• Like 1

Just now, HarryArchieGus said:

You’re reading the current Deeb role as pandering to the crowd - like (a much toned down) Learning Tree? I think she’s just tweening while readying a more overt heel for Timeless Toni. Matt, what are your thoughts on the paradise lock?

Agreed, nobody wants to see spooky Copeland. Even so, very much looking forward to Malakai v Adam!!!

I think she's doing her absolute best at being genuine.

Take that as you will.

As for the paradise lock, I'm ok with it but it shouldn't be on for more than a few seconds without some sort of interaction, be that rolling someone around or a much quicker dropkick. It is a suspension of disbelief issue, still worth doing if it gets a reaction, but worth getting through quickly.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

By the way, Arkady Aura is terrific. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to throw a name plate under her.

It would be fun and funny to have a stat of how many matches and shows she's announced on it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I think she's doing her absolute best at being genuine.

That's how I always took her as well.  She was cutting in-ring promos after coming back that were 100% sincere babyface "I'm happy to be back!  I'm a wrestler and I'm here to bring wrestling back to this division."

26 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Arkady Aura

Apropos of nothing bit she is incredibly short!  Purrazzo had a good six inches or more on her and she's not the tallest either.  She looked downright lilliputian next to Big Bill.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

Late to the party on Dynamite (and still have to get to Rampage - you guys have me salivating over Willow/Skye big time, though) - I really liked the closing angle. The return of exasperated, NWO-era "Call the cops!" Schiavone was a pleasant surprise! It was a bit predictable, sure, but sometimes the logical choice is the correct one.

I think we're building to a "who's side is Hanger on" story, before we get our Uncensored '96 moment where he comes out to aid Swerve/Kenny/FTR, and that's your babyface Anarchy in the Arena or Blood & Guts team (depending how long this goes)

• Like 2

Hangman was on the very verge of being a bad guy when he left. Some people would say he was already there.

I'd like to see a third side to this with Hangman/Moxley/RUSH. Just the maniacs banding together to see the world burn.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Remember the promo Danielson cut when he was kayfabe released from the NXT competition?  We need Chuck Taylor to come back like, "I don't know what the future holds for Chuck Taylor, but "No Gimmicks Needed" Steve the Samurai is going to be just fine!  (or Frank "Grabass" Hernandez, or Cuba Gooding III, or "Hard Wood" Rich Mahogany , or...).

I remember EVOLVE had him work a serious business gimmick as DUSTIN, it wasn't very good.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was there for one of his DUSTIN matches there and it was no good.  I wanted some form of Chuck Taylor and he was just so bland.

Deeb needs to tighten up that Paradise Lock, both times she's used it recently her opponent looked as though they could just get up. I'm sure Toni will attempt to break the internet by her reaction to being in it at DoN though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Hangman was on the very verge of being a bad guy when he left. Some people would say he was already there.

I'd like to see a third side to this with Hangman/Moxley/RUSH. Just the maniacs banding together to see the world burn.

Sickos meme YES, YES!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Schneider said:

I remember EVOLVE had him work a serious business gimmick as DUSTIN, it wasn't very good.

Oh Jesus, really?  What moron (rhetorical question, I know) saw Chuck Taylor, or those Gentleman's Club vignettes, and thought "I like this guy but I bet there's money in turning him into Lance Storm."

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

So apparently the only people immune to the black mist are Willow and Karen Jarrett?

5 hours ago, Coletti said:

Willow is a beacon of light and joy and is already just the right bit misanthropic - "Nothing matters, smile anyway!"

Karen is already too black-hearted.

Sting as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I definitely think there is more meat to Mox/Hangman, especially because Hangman "hanging" Mox was the precursor to the BCC becoming "heels"(in so much as they could be given how much people love everyone involved.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

(and still have to get to Rampage - you guys have me salivating over Willow/Skye big time, though)

Settle down, Zakketico.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5