DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/10 - 4/16/2024 - Julia Hart of (Real) Glass

30 minutes ago, username said:

I just wanna know... last week was Switchblade/Daddy Ass, this week was the All In footage, what segment next Dynamite will turn out to be an impossible to comprehend bad idea? >_>

Putting a championship on Penta ;).

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Mina Shirakawa wrestled on the Zero Hour of ROH Supercard of Honour, 5 days before Dynamite. And interacted with Mariah May, after her match. To say "Oh Tony Khan assumes everyone watches everything, of course he expects us to follow Stardom", that's pretty disingenuous. She was just on the YouTube channel of a Tony Khan less than a week ago.

Where was this "Nobody knows who Stardom wrestlers are!" energy when Giulia showed up in NXT, eh?

So this is a bit disingenuous IMO. Yeah, Mina worked a Youtube preshow that's sitting at 22K views for the secondary brand of the main company then came out in a city that isn't a mainstay of the promotion and most likely doesn't have fans that are tapped into Stardom. Comparing that to an onscreen appearance at a tentpole event where your crowd is going to lean more into other promotions isn't the same.

With that said, I know who Mina is because DZ used to post pictures of her before so I followed her on IG. Also that theme music is a Jimmy Hart style rip off of something that's played at sporting events all the time which I thought was hilarious.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've had enough of the weirdo online posters. I've basically unsubscribed from all the FB wrestling groups I had joined. The DVDVR is the only group of online wrestling weirdos I need. 

Gonna be honest, I saw a couple of people online asking where they can go that’s not the Twitter/Reddit/normal websites and I didn’t share our fortune.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Finally got around to watching Dynamite. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

The video did nothing to dissuade either side and you got people chanting for a WWE guy on TV. Not as disastrous as it could've been, but solidly bad. The most underrated wrestlecrap part though was Cash's "Rod and Todd Flanders" line hitting the mute button on the live audience. He actually had a nice fired up promo going (given the circumstances) before that, and you know with his Simpsons shirt, he was so proud of coming up with that. Sorry pal, a good chunk of that audience wasn't even alive when The Simpsons was good, time comes for us all. Fittingly, you could do a frame by frame of when his heart got ripped in half by the line getting no reaction.

More broadly, though, I'm disappointed with the show layout. If your goal of this stunt is to get more viewers, you should be putting your best foot forward the rest of the show. This is a week you run Ospreay/Vikingo or some shit, Swerve/Fletcher, run a fucking Billie Starkz vs. Kris Statlander match for no reason, etc. Basically show what you actually offer as an alternative. All due respect to Joe and Dustin, but putting two guys of varying degrees of past their primes in the main event spot ain't gonna turn any heads. The majority of the show was fine for story building purposes, but I couldn't imagine any of it hooking a casual viewer. All promos, lots of focus on guys known for their time in WWE, and none of the unique talents really got to show much. I don't get the thought process of trying to pop a rating on a filler show, but I'm not a thin-skinned billionaire so...

• Like 3

One friend sent me something tonight saying since Privacy/PII laws in the UK are different than the US, there might be issues with people whose faces were not blurred or and not did not sign waivers or such. 

I guess they were warned about that before the show. 

Might explain why they copyright struck every video on social media last night and today. 

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

One friend sent me something tonight saying since Privacy/PII laws in the UK are different than the US, there might be issues with people whose faces were not blurred or and not did not sign waivers or such. 

I guess they were warned about that before the show. 

Might explain why they copyright struck every video on social media last night and today. 

Apparently. that came from Stephen P. New; Punk's lawyer who does all of Cornette's stuff.

The Copyright striking of AEW (and CMLL) didn't come from AEW. There's a guy on twitter who likes to copyright claim things for no apparent reason. He did the same thing a couple of years ago and the IWC blamed Aubrey Edwards because misogynists gotta misogyny. 

• Haha 1

On the positive front, add me to the crowd that had fairly low expectations for Copeland in AEW. I was fine with him coming in and having one last showdown with Christian or whatever, but the TNT run has been a pleasantly good surprise. The Penta match was a ton of fun.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The Copyright striking of AEW (and CMLL) didn't come from AEW. There's a guy on twitter who likes to copyright claim things for no apparent reason. He did the same thing a couple of years ago and the IWC blamed Aubrey Edwards because misogynists gotta misogyny. 

As with all things involving CM Punk, why let the truth get in the way of what his marks want to think?

• Thanks 1

Since Punk posted the W Bush Mission Accomplished pic on IG I'll start the theory that he 4D chess'd AEW into showing the footage to prove there's no way Tony can claim he was afraid for his life and didn't have his reason for firing Punk. Big if true!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

After thinking about it a bit more, I have one more thing to say, and that's that I kinda do like that they showed the footage just because it's a finger in Punk's eye. He brought up the shit again after all this time, they hit back the only way they could and at least are using it to further an angle, instead of further an argument. It's not as bad a way to handle the situation as it could be.

I had this conversation with my partner last night - she has a strong psychology background and is of the opinion that it was aired purely to stir shit over at WWE. It sounded conspiratorial at first, but her thinking was, someone's eventually going to bust Punk's chops about it "the wrong way" or mention it on TV without clearing it ala Hangman, and it'll lead to the whole thing blowing up (yet again). I don't necessarily know if that kind of foresight was legitimately put into it, but once she laid it out I could totally see it. YMMV

Edit: @GodfreyI meant to quote you for the above also but I can't format well on mobile so...

39 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Since Punk posted the W Bush Mission Accomplished pic on IG I'll start the theory that he 4D chess'd AEW into showing the footage to prove there's no way Tony can claim he was afraid for his life and didn't have his reason for firing Punk. Big if true!

I had a similar thought but saw a clip yesterday of Dave/Bryan indicating there was a separate, unaired incident. That said, in the aired footage, we do see Punk lean over the monitors to say something we can't hear - so that could be anything from "You're a clown, I quit" to "I'm going to murder Trevor Lawrence in his sleep" (I mean obviously not, but my point is - we can't hear, and have no idea)

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

In a mild defense of Tony. He watched Punk lose his shit and go after Jack Perry, of all people. Then Punk goes towards Tony, still losing his shit, and two guys have to hold him back.

So in that chaotic moment, it's not unreasonable to be scared, perhaps even afraid for your life. When violence happens you don't really know when it's going to stop.  As outsiders we can say that might be an over reaction. And we can certainly say he was being a little melodramatic by repeating those feelings to a live audience after time to reflect. But I'm sure in that moment he felt scared and I don't blame him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Hasn’t it been said numerous times that the confrontation with Tony was a separate incident (later) and may not even have been taped?

oops, sorry.  I forgot….

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

As with all things involving CM Punk, why let the truth get in the way of what his marks want to think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys are putting way more thought into this than Punk and Tony combined. They're both reacting instinctively because their egos were hurt, that's it. Then they have to continuously double down every time someone brings it up because the idea of being wrong about something doesn't exist in their minds.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Coletti said:

"I wish they'd just move on" from so many people online still talking about it two days later. 

Collision looks excellent 🥳

What all do we have announced for Collision so far? It's just down the road from me, and I'm considering going.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Log said:

What all do we have announced for Collision so far? It's just down the road from me, and I'm considering going.

Moriarty vs Shibata

Toni Storm vs AZM

Danielson/Claudio vs Hobbs/Fletcher

you also get Battle of the Belts

Rocky Romero vs Strong in an Eliminator

Hook vs Shane Taylor for FTW

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Moriarty vs Shibata

Toni Storm vs AZM

Danielson/Claudio vs Hobbs/Fletcher

you also get Battle of the Belts

Rocky Romero vs Strong in an Eliminator

Hook vs Shane Taylor for FTW

Well, dang. May have to hit that up!

• Like 1

There are weeks with almost nothing I want to see. There are weeks where I want to see almost everything. Usually it's a Dynamite/Collision split with Rampage in the middle though. The next few TVs are looking pretty fun though.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There are weeks with almost nothing I want to see. There are weeks where I want to see almost everything. Usually it's a Dynamite/Collision split with Rampage in the middle though. The next few TVs are looking pretty fun though.

Did you post your thoughts on Cope-Penta already? 

5 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Did you post your thoughts on Cope-Penta already? 

I didn't. I saw it once, with commercials, so it's hard to judge structurally and I don't want to go back for it. It went two breaks, which was a lot. At times, I thought Copeland felt like he was wrestling "random luchador" for the first time and he was doing stuff that would have made more sense against Fenix, but then because of the size differential, that wouldn't have worked, so it was kind of awkward and performative but also still just snuck into the "What worked" category when they ran those spots. You could buy Adam Copeland, the character, trying to pull this stuff given the opportunity. It's funny how Excalibur has no idea what to call most of Copeland's moveset. Not calling the Edgucator is fine (though not being familiar with it isn't), I get that, but call the Electric Chair Drop! That was almost nostalgia seeing him pull that out, and it's weird to have Edge nostalia but it's probably more Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain nostalgia, you know? The apron powerslam was neat but there's just too much apron offense in general. It's every match almost. That's not their fault here. I think it overachieved but it overachieved against a lower baseline given the pairing. It's definitely a positive check in the "Copeland stretches outside the WWE system" column.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

More broadly, though, I'm disappointed with the show layout. If your goal of this stunt is to get more viewers, you should be putting your best foot forward the rest of the show. This is a week you run Ospreay/Vikingo or some shit, Swerve/Fletcher, run a fucking Billie Starkz vs. Kris Statlander match for no reason, etc. Basically show what you actually offer as an alternative. All due respect to Joe and Dustin, but putting two guys of varying degrees of past their primes in the main event spot ain't gonna turn any heads. The majority of the show was fine for story building purposes, but I couldn't imagine any of it hooking a casual viewer. All promos, lots of focus on guys known for their time in WWE, and none of the unique talents really got to show much.

If you were trying to appeal to WWE viewers (particularly casual WWE viewers who only watch wrestling during Mania season, when the stars of the 90s return), giving them a TV show with Adam Copeland, Chris Jericho and Dustin Rhodes is a real "Watch our company, it's just like that wrestling you used to watch when you were younger" statement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

the "What worked" category

Mmmm. Rampage and Collision Workrate Reports coming this weekend.

EDIT: flame.gif Fuck it. I'll do red print on black background too.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2