AEW Dynamite Results | April 10, 2024

• Adam Copeland def. Penta El Zero Miedo | AEW TNT Championship
  • CM Punk def. Jack Perry | Backstage Footage from AEW All In 2023
  • Shane Taylor Promotions def. Chris Jericho, HOOK and Katsuyori Shibata
  • Kazuchika Okada def. Cristiano Argento
  • Mariah May def. Anna Jay
  • Samoa Joe def. Dustin Rhodes | AEW World Title Eliminator
  • Haha 1

At the end of last year I thought 2023 AEW felt a lot like 1998 WCW.   While you can argue that 1997 was where you can see the cracks, the end of 1998 was where you can see the potholes and wonder how this was going to fuck my car up (sorry having Philly WM flashbacks)  .   Last night was there WCW 1999 moment.   I guess we should be mildly encouraged they did it in April while WCW did on the 1st two weeks of the year.  Plus the wrestling when they actually do it is still really good unlike WCW 1999 where the emphasis on that was near the end.    If they would have just done the footage then maybe the damage would have been fine.  But they show the footage THEN do the Will Ospreay shoot comments on Triple H and then almost immediately they have the heel beatdown with the CM Punk chants

This needs to get out of Tony's and the Bucks system but unfortunately nothing seems to do that

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3

They're running Edmonton on May 8th and working real hard to talk me out of buying a seat.

I honestly don't know if there's anyone in wrestling I give less of a fuck about than CM Punk except for maybe Billy Gunn and Jeff Jarrett

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Punk was not right to put his hands on Jack Perry. No matter how dumb this angle is, he's not right. The idea that he gets his name chanted for that shit bothers me more than Tony and the Bucks airing the footage.

Yeah I don’t get this. The crowd cheering for a (mild, lame, nothing) pull apart brawl on a wrestling show is bad because we’re so far through the 4th wall that they should be better? 

Punk can be in the wrong in real life, I guess, although again this doesn’t seem all that serious. Having heels presenting it on a wrestling tv show? How many wires are they trying to cross in the fans minds here?  The Punk chants in arena should have been expected and the confusion in arena should hopefully give a few people a wake up call. 

Now that I’m thinking about it; does AEW even own security cam footage from an overseas arena? I would assume there is no viable DMCA claim unless Wembley Stadium’’s operators sold them the footage.

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

AEW is now copyright striking all tweets/youtube reactions to the footage.

Someone on Twitter made the joke that the ultimate purpose of the footage was to find the people using their footage without their consent and just take down a ton of them at once 😁

I agree with Dave and others that said that the CM Punk was basically their "We Want Flair" chant.  Did the crowd think that Flair was going to show up at the PPV and work the main event?  Probably some but most knew he was gone.  I think the chant was a combination of them booing the heels and telling AEW that they are dumb as fuck for doing this.

In comparison, WWF literally went 3 straight weeks where they teased Bret right after he was gone. I believe two of those shows were in Canada since they would do one live and the next week was taped on Tuesday and it being right after Survivor Series 1997. I thought the little person thing was like the next night. Yeah, that was extremely stupid in hindsight as well but we have to get over DX as immature bullies.

• Like 2

Yeah, that was a real bad look but I liked it being bookended with FTR's promo.  With Dynasty coming up, i feel like this is 2 steps back to take 3 steps forward.  The wrestling last night was quality, I really enjoyed May/Jay and Dynasty's card is amazing. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Sure, but if you believe the sheets, Perry was egging it on with “why don’t you do something about it?” and whatnot. 

And Punk probably picked a fight with Perry over the windshield spot because Perry was a friend of the Bucks and Punk probably figured he could push a midcarder around.  You can spin the situation a lot of ways, if you are so inclined,

Haven’r seen the footage or the angle around it, but Twitter claims AEW is removing the footage from their social media platforms due to negative reactions.  So, yeah, Khan misjudged this one. Meltzer says TK has been wanting to show the footage for awhile.  If that’s true, turning it into an angle probably wasn’t the way to win fans over to his side. I probably will avoid the footage just because the little bit I’ve heard about FTR’s promo afterwards sounds cringy and thin-skinned.  And AEW apparently already went that route with an Adam Copeland promo.

• Believe it or not, I do feel like Bucks vs FTR is hotter than it was coming into this. That was a super cold match.
  • There were better ways to capitalize on the extra eyes on this show. They needed a hot angle or three. They should have maybe stretched out the TRENT turn. Letting Dustin win (with more help from Swerve) to set up a title match next Wednesday would have been good.
  • They still announced about five matches I want to see in the next week which is why the comparisons to 99 WCW are silly.
  • The money match out of all of this?
    Spoiler

Chris Hero vs Jack Perry

• Like 1

Also as someone mentioned before, one of the people who should be bothered is Adam Copeland.   Last week he cuts this really good promo about how there is too much negativity and we need to enjoy wrestling and everything tied to it.  And then the VERY NEXT WEEK, Tony and the Bucks decided to chose the opposite path and double down it.   That is the kind of thing that will make you check out quick

• Like 3

As much as I hate those try hard dorks the Jackson’s, the line about how they didn’t have time to hydrate and pray over their upcoming match popped the hell out of me…

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

What AEW did tonight was pathetic, petty, nonsense. Trying to tie it into Young Bucks versus FTR was moronic. It served no one and it helped no one. Tony Khan proved Punk right by airing that footage. He’s a spineless clown.

What did AEW gain in any way by airing that? They won’t even book Jack Perry on TV anymore. This was a disgrace. There is no coming back from this ever.

Embarrassing trash.

It's bad enough to have to tolerate iffy TV, but having to navigate a sea of scorching hot weirdo takes that insist on elevating "that sucked" to "(whatever the fuck this is)" makes everything so, so much worse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's bad enough to have to tolerate iffy TV, but having to navigate a sea of scorching hot weirdo takes that insist on elevating "that sucked" to "(whatever the fuck this is)" makes everything so, so much worse.

This is about the 150th thing he’s claimed there’s “no coming back from”. 

Now he’ll add a little sad face emoji reaction to this post. 

He’s as predictable as he is annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

You mean the person who leaves "sad" reacts on people's positive posts? Yeah, this shit is why I wish our ignore feature was more thorough... 

Honestly that's my least favorite part of all this, going back to the Punk interview - it brings out the trolls with borderline stalker personalties. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I hate when people overreact to stuff the young bucks are involved in…

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

At the end of last year I thought 2023 AEW felt a lot like 1998 WCW.   While you can argue that 1997 was where you can see the cracks, the end of 1998 was where you can see the potholes and wonder how this was going to fuck my car up (sorry having Philly WM flashbacks)  .   Last night was there WCW 1999 moment.   I guess we should be mildly encouraged they did it in April while WCW did on the 1st two weeks of the year.  Plus the wrestling when they actually do it is still really good unlike WCW 1999 where the emphasis on that was near the end.    If they would have just done the footage then maybe the damage would have been fine.  But they show the footage THEN do the Will Ospreay shoot comments on Triple H and then almost immediately they have the heel beatdown with the CM Punk chants

This needs to get out of Tony's and the Bucks system but unfortunately nothing seems to do that

Between the Punk footage and jackass Ospreays HHH comment this is getting to be Russo TNA bad.....bro

• Like 1

I honestly thought there would have been more folks taking victory laps today. I guess the confirmation that Punk was in no way defending himself or controlling the situation is outweighed by the rest of it. It sucked to watch and once again nobody looks good

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

Seth or Baron Corbin should've probably warned Hunter having a go at Ospreay wasn't going to end well. 

Did H3 say his name? He could have been talking about multiple people. Ospreay is winning the internet thinking he did the ultimate burn.H3 is busy making money for his employer. Kinda like what Punk said about these guys stepping on their own dicks. 

12 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I honestly thought there would have been more folks taking victory laps today. I guess the confirmation that Punk was in no way defending himself or controlling the situation is outweighed by the rest of it. It sucked to watch and once again nobody looks good

That's kinda the thing. The footage didn't make Punk look "good" as he got physical with someone that was literally fixing his hair and had made no aggressive movements. Punk was clearly the aggressor, both by going up to Perry and getting physical with him. BUT no one really cares about that just due to how AEW went about it. If this footage was released the following week to further a Perry storyline the reaction wouldn't have been nearly as strong. The fact is most wrestling fans know Punk is a whiny malcontent asshole so this video didn't change anyone's opinion of him, it just made most people shake their heads that TK thought it helped AEW in some way to show it.

• Like 2