DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I know you won't disagree with me here, but I really wish that Danielson would beat Ospreay. For a few reasons. Danielson needs a big win occasionally in these "dream" matches he does, even if he doesn't want to win a title he needs victories occasionally in his big matches or they just become special attractions. I also think it would set up a good story for Ospreay. What does he still need to improve? How does Callis react? Is he really as good as he thinks he is? And on top of that, it would be a surprise since most people will assume Ospreay is winning. I don't believe in a "swerve for the sake of a swerve" but a surprise win now and then is good for the show and its not something that would hurt Ospreay long term. Small added side effect, if they want to keep him out of the title picture for awhile it will give Ospreay a "L" for their rankings.

I don't think it would happen, but I do think Ospreay losing would open up more booking options then him winning.

In complete agreement.

30 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm legit surprised there were Danielson AEW matches you didn't like.  I'm not a fan of Cage so I remember that not being that interesting.  As for Mox if it's the PPV match they had I remember liking that unless there was another I'm blanking on.  I don't remember the others that much.

Also, if we're talking dream Daneilson matches I'm still here waiting on a one-on-one match against Orange and especially Angelico.  Both would be fucking fantastic and would make for incredible random matches to put on Collision.

I really liked the Danielson/Moxley Revolution 2022 match, it's the Grand Slam Dynamite 2022 one I really didn't. That was probably my most disappointing Danielson match with what I've said about the PPV one. I'm no Brian Cage fan either. Surprised we haven't had Danielson/Cassidy yet. Angelico also.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Wouldn't it be ironic, if it turned out that watching all of those AEW shows was what made Danielson want to make the jump?

"Gee Vince, I should go work there to get a better look.  You know, for research and all."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm a big Bryan Danielson and Batman fan but that doesn't stop me disliking some parts of both. Feels weird critiquing who I regard in Bryan Danielson the Greatest of All Time but If change, again whom am I to say this to Danielson but nevertheless...

• The running knee getting kicked out of more. Used to be a list of four give or take in WWE but it's expanded since AEW. Kazuchika Okada, Zack Sabre Jr, Jon Moxley, Eddie Kingston, Adam Page, MJF, Brody King off the top of my head.
  • The seizure sell.
  • The diving headbutt/shoot headbutts.
  • Bryan Danielson is such a selfless person, an admirable trait but rarely wins the big match in AEW. Danielson's jobbed to Jon Moxley, Adam Page, MJF, Eddie Kingston, MJF. Granted the top guys but I just wish he'd win the big one. In a recent match a commentator picked up Danielson's win loss record as one of AEW's best but he's still never held a championship there.
  • Only AEW matches of Bryan's I didn't like were one of two with Chris Jericho, Miro, Jon Moxley and Brian Cage.

I don't like the "hold the hands and stomp on the face" move.  It feels unnecessarily over the top violent while at the same time being incredibly phony.  5-10 unprotected head stomps and the ref isn't stopping the match/opponent isn't going unconscious?  They've mitigated it somewhat by turning it into a chest stomp, though.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Triller TV is offering a PPV bundle (Dynasty, Double or Nothing and Forbidden Door) for 49.99e. I may as well take them up on that when the next payday comes up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Triller TV is offering a PPV bundle (Dynasty, Double or Nothing and Forbidden Door) for 49.99e. I may as well take them up on that when the next payday comes up.

That's $129.99 for us Canucks!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Yeah, getting the Acclaimed back to what they were a couple years ago would be awesome, but I don’t see any real path forward for either guy as a single. I’d love to see them in the tag team tournament, though…

I disagree, Bowens has the look, skill, and charisma to be your top babyface champ.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

That's $129.99 for us Canucks!

I was gobsmacked seeing the change (no pun intended) when setting my Fire TV stick up for Revolution 2024. First I couldn't find the Fite app replaced by Triller. Then the prices. Revolution is £19.99 if you're a sub to AEW+ or £24.99 if you aren't. Before the standalone price was £15.00 or £16.00 I believe.

Edited by The Natural

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I disagree, Bowens has the look, skill, and charisma to be your top babyface champ.

IT could be that it's been so long since I've seen him wrestle as a single that I just don't remember. I do really, really like Bowens. The Acclaimed are just so great together that I might not want to think about splitting them up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I don't like the "hold the hands and stomp on the face" move.  It feels unnecessarily over the top violent while at the same time being incredibly phony.  5-10 unprotected head stomps and the ref isn't stopping the match/opponent isn't going unconscious?  They've mitigated it somewhat by turning it into a chest stomp, though.

Well, I can't LIKE this because I LIKE the move too much - as done by Danielson. If you'd indicated you were talking about Jon Moxley's version I'd give you the trophy. I'm very thankful Mox has stopped using it regularly. That said, I think you're totally right and I often think about those reasons during his matches, but then go back to loving it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Also, if we're talking dream Daneilson matches I'm still here waiting on a one-on-one match against Orange and especially Angelico.  Both would be fucking fantastic and would make for incredible random matches to put on Collision.

Co-MF'ing-signed, I've been calling for that Angelico match for forever. OC I think there's a greater likelihood we'll get to organically, but that Angelico match has to happen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I know you won't disagree with me here, but I really wish that Danielson would beat Ospreay. For a few reasons. Danielson needs a big win occasionally in these "dream" matches he does, even if he doesn't want to win a title he needs victories occasionally in his big matches or they just become special attractions

He beat Okada and ZSJ last year (yeah he gave the wins back in NJ, but still got the first one when it was a "dream" match), and recently Hechicero as well.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I like Bowens, but I just don't see it. He's fine in the ring, but you put him next to Ospreay, Swerve, MJF... Even guys farther down the card like Garcia and Buddy... He's just not at that level. AEW's roster is so absurdly stacked, there's gonna be a ton of guys better than Bowens who never sniff the world title.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I'll never understand having Angelico under contract and basically not using him

As opposed to the seemingly dozens of others in the same situation?

This sounds terrible and I don't mean it to sound terrible as I think Caster is funny and good enough in-ring for his role, but in some ways he reminds me of Enzo. Charismatic, good promo gimmick, gets the crowd into it. Should have a long term role as a Godfather/NAO type mid-carder to pop the crowd. But due to real life personality, may not make it long term and if AEW drops Max Caster at any point I don't think any other major promotion would be interested.

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

I like Bowens, but I just don't see it. He's fine in the ring, but you put him next to Ospreay, Swerve, MJF... Even guys farther down the card like Garcia and Buddy... He's just not at that level. AEW's roster is so absurdly stacked, there's gonna be a ton of guys better than Bowens who never sniff the world title.

Buddy has, what, twice as many years experience? And I bet Bowens can do just about anything Buddy does if he was allowed to.

Looking at Cagematch, Bowens hasn’t had a singles match in AEW (or anywhere) in over 2 years. Last one was February 23, 2022 Rampage against Orange Cassidy in a Face of the Revolution qualifying match. But one of his rare AEW singles matches (10 total in AEW) was as one of Bryan Danielson’s first matches (hand picked) on November 5, 2021. 

Edit to add: Bowens actually started in 2013, while Buddy started in 2007, and has wrestled something like 100 more matches in his career. So they’re closer that I thought.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Buddy has, what, twice as many years experience? And I bet Bowens can do just about anything Buddy does if he was allowed to.

Looking at Cagematch, Bowens hasn’t had a singles match in AEW (or anywhere) in over 2 years. Last one was February 23, 2022 Rampage against Orange Cassidy in a Face of the Revolution qualifying match. But one of his rare AEW singles matches (10 total in AEW) was as one of Bryan Danielson’s first matches (hand picked) on November 5, 2021. 

I always thought we should've gotten a Bowens/Punk match (we got Caster/Punk once and a trios with Gunn Club/Caster).

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 9:25 AM, The Natural said:

As promised:

10. Mercedes Mone vs. KAIRI. NJPW Battle in the Valley, 18th February 2023.

9. Sasha Banks vs. Asuka. WWE RAW, 29th January 2018.

8. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair. NXT TakeOver: Rival.

7. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. WWE Hell in a Cell 2019.

6. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. WWE Hell in a Cell 2020.

5. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable.

4. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair. WWE RAW, 28th November 2016.

3. Sasha Banks vs. Bianca Belair. WWE WrestleMania XXXVII.

2. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn. *****.

1. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Respect. *****.

I honestly think Bayley, Bianca Belair, Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch had their best match ever with Sasha Banks. I've always preferred Banks/Bayley Iron Woman to the Brooklyn match. If you can only watch four of my ten, the top four. Niners Fan in CT is one to ask for best Sasha Banks matches as he's a big fan. Hope this helps!

Mercedes was also able to pull a very good match out of Ronda Rousey. 

Best Rousey match?

• Like 2