DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/7 - 2/13/2024 - First Come, First Swerved

Best double turn match and best match ever in my opinion is Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WWF WrestleMania 13. A *****.

Only other great double turn bouts I can think of are Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio at WWE Payback 2013 and Swerve Strickland vs. Hangman Adam Page here.

• Like 1

There were a couple moments during Swerve and Hangman where I thought, Jesus, this guy was a hair away from never walking again. One of those was on Swerve flipping out of the powerbomb and the other was Swerve giving Hangman a Dead Eye off the ring through a table. Like, Hangman came so close to getting spiked.

Aside from that, I could watch these two feud forever and they already had maybe the damnedest death match I’ve ever seen. 

I don’t know how you further raise the stakes with these two. Hair vs hair? Loser gets 10 shots with a cane or rope just to repeat Dreamer’s “thank you sir I’ll have ANOTHA!” A proper barbed wire exploding ring death match?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I wouldn't mind Sting retiring as a champion at all, but I don't understand why you think it's a bad idea - is it that it's the Bucks? Not busting chops, if you don't dig those guys it's fine, just legit asking

Not to speak for @hammerva, but in my opinion, Sting should get to go out on a high note. I don't think he should lose to any heels in his last match. If it was a case of the Bucks still being faces and doing sort of an HBK/Flair thing where they want to be in his last match because they respect/love him so much, then I'd be ok with them winning. It could be a passing of the torch thing, and that would be nice. But now, it'd be some dastardly heels beating down Sting, his sons and Darby, and then taking the belts to send him into retirement on a downer note.

• Like 4

They gotta re-sign Ricky. Now’s the time, while Cody’s all somber and wwe’s lost the “can do no wrong” luster. Fantastic show. Question: I’ve not paid much attention to CMLL. Have any of those guys been in wwe recently as LHP guys or anything?

• Like 4

As for Starks, I’m kinda over him. He can go in the ring, but he does lean into being mini Rock a little too much.

The guy to hold onto is Big Bill. By God he’s figured it all out. He fucking rules. That Boss Man Slam is a million times better than Baron Corbin’s. More and more I get some legit Sid vibes from Big Bill. 

• Like 8

Starks is weird. He's just so inconsistent. I've seen stuff out of him where I'm fully on-board. Fuck yeah! This guy is the future!

Then, there are times where I wonder if he'd rather be somewhere else.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Log said:

Not to speak for @hammerva, but in my opinion, Sting should get to go out on a high note. I don't think he should lose to any heels in his last match. If it was a case of the Bucks still being faces and doing sort of an HBK/Flair thing where they want to be in his last match because they respect/love him so much, then I'd be ok with them winning. It could be a passing of the torch thing, and that would be nice. But now, it'd be some dastardly heels beating down Sting, his sons and Darby, and then taking the belts to send him into retirement on a downer note.

Ah. Totally fair, and no argument from me - I guess I was looking at it from more of a booking-logic 'make the Bucks' standpoint, rather than from a more holistic, 10,000 feet 'lets not kill the crowd' POV. So with that, I just wasn't sure if we were having a "Sting shouldn't lose" conversation, or a "Sting should put over _____ instead" conversation. But yeah, I don't disagree with either of you at all.

Sting will retire tag team champion so that Tony can do his favorite thing and have a tournament to decide the next champs 

Edit: Coach TK here is my pitch for the tournament also. It’s a round robin battlebowl/lethal lottery tournament but everyone gets points individually and the teams are reset after ever round of matches. The two with the highest points at the end become the tag champs.

Edited by Sublime
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Best double turn match and best match ever in my opinion is Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WWF WrestleMania 13. A *****.

We've commiserated before about how that's my favorite ever too - I wasn't paying much attention to the clock so I legit thought we were gonna get something like that here (especially with with the blood-drinking thing at the last PPV - I was like 'Ooohh, foreshadowing!' but it was not to be). Def still liked what we got though - I'm not one of those people who will shit on a Broadway, especially if it's going somewhere. Like, my favorite ever AEW match was Omega/Danielson at GS 1, and that was a draw.

I should also add: I think the refusal of the 5 min extension did a LOT for Hanger character-development wise, and you really can't get there without such a finish.

• Like 2

The only example I can think of someone promoting a last match ever and then having him lose would be Baron Corbin beating Kurt Angle at WM which didn't go over well at all and basically treated as a nothing match because I think at the time it was hour 4 of a 6 hour show.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The only example I can think of someone promoting a last match ever and then having him lose would be Baron Corbin beating Kurt Angle at WM which didn't go over well at all and basically treated as a nothing match because I think at the time it was hour 4 of a 6 hour show.  

Ugh, forgot about that. Any way the grand jury can add another charge for that shit?

18 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

We've commiserated before about how that's my favorite ever too - I wasn't paying much attention to the clock so I legit thought we were gonna get something like that here (especially with with the blood-drinking thing at the last PPV - I was like 'Ooohh, foreshadowing!' but it was not to be). Def still liked what we got though - I'm not one of those people who will shit on a Broadway, especially if it's going somewhere. Like, my favorite ever AEW match was Omega/Danielson at GS 1, and that was a draw.

I should also add: I think the refusal of the 5 min extension did a LOT for Hanger character-development wise, and you really can't get there without such a finish.

In full agreement, friend.

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

WrestleMania XXXV. Such a slog of a show. The last one night WrestleMania.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Sting’s entire career was made in the Broadway against Flair at Clash of Champions 1. One of the defining matches in wrestling history.

I had done something to get grounded the week of that show. Of course, since wrestling was by far my favorite thing at that point, my punishment was no wrestling for a week.

Buuuuuut, my parents neglected to inform the babysitter I had on the day of the Clash of my punishment. So, I got to enjoy the show in all it's glory. I thought Sting was the coolest, but didn't hold out much hope that he'd win the title. As the match went on, I kept thinking he may actually do it. I don't think I'd ever seen a match that long at that point in my wresting fandom, so it really stood out to me.

If I recall, that was also the same day as WMIV. I would occasionally switch over to scramble-vision and check in on what was happening there.

I changed my mind.  AEW fans deserve a 10 month Young Bucks tag reign.  Make everyone job to them in 30 seconds or less, as punishment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Since I was at Escape from New York in the theater last night, here is my belated review. (The ghost of Ox Baker says hello.) Ah, my sweet, sweet fast forward button...

I'm gonna do this in two parts because so far it's getting long.

Spoiler

- Swerve/Hungmin was two minutes of lockup, then they clipped to the end of what could have been an hour match probably. It certainly had all the prerequisite laying around selling (Swerve) and standing around waiting (Page) in between big moves, which due to the nature of their feud and how Hangman wrestles is all they did. It was inventive looking enough I suppose. Swerve even tried a moment of matwork with the failed octopus and armbreak until realizing that there's no point in doing any of that shit with him. Overjoyed at them not doing the five minutes... until they said it'd be a three-way, which made me audibly groan and ask for the five minutes instead. Best part was Nana literally raindancing Swerve back to life and Page then hitting him with the chair for his interference. I hate how everyone has to sit up for the stomp off the top. HATE it.

- Wanna say that Renee is dressed like the Pentecostal girls that were at my high school but that's too much shoulder showing. Plus the tattoo and the hooker boots would get her excommunicated.

- Red Velvet is "straight outta her momma's kitchen"? Well, that's original. So are the apron and the... stirring motion? Okay... Hey, they bust out the chain wrestling! Doesn't stay long but is nice and snug while it lasts. Velvet is teeny and tough but she eats the ARSE OF DESTRUCTION and gets her ankle twisted. 

- Sign sez "Hate from Finland", Shartnado do you have something to do with this? 😛 There is a clear size differential here. Dragon even looks bigger next to the luchadors. BCC get the heat on Volador because he seems like the least of the bunch, especially from those weak forearms. I always feel embarrassed for somebody fucking up an intricate highspot just because they were too close to the ropes. Hechicero proves to be Kryptonite to everyone so Claudio goes full rudo and hits the FOULE~! for the pin. More CMLL guys run out but they're met by some randos from the back including I believe that dork Abrahantes with a piece of ring equipment that he swings around and lays on his shoulder like it's a gun? The CMLL guys did high flying that wasn't hitting the AAA level of spectacularity (then again we're talking about Vikingo here so who else can) and should probably rudo it up themselves instead.

- Big Business in Boston is the Big Deal tonight. I want my BCC Town attire. Fake AR-15s optional. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think the double turn was the right call but the way they went about it didn't really make a ton of sense.

Swerve's beaten Hangman twice already. He didn't need the additional five minutes. Hangman was the one that needed to beat Swerve. Additionally the AEW rankings they put out had Swerve at #1 so the logic of him not getting a title shot for failing to beat Hangman wasn't there.

Yeah, it gave everyone an excuse to boo Hangman but probably should have been leaned into as his self doubts manifesting that he couldn't beat Swerve and was ducking him, rather than trying to fuck with him or do the smart thing and hang onto a title shot he never had to begin with.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Since I was at Escape from New York in the theater last night, here is my belated review. (The ghost of Ox Baker says hello.) Ah, my sweet, sweet fast forward button...

I'm gonna do this in two parts because so far it's getting long.

Hide contents

- Swerve/Hungmin was two minutes of lockup, then they clipped to the end of what could have been an hour match probably. It certainly had all the prerequisite laying around selling (Swerve) and standing around waiting (Page) in between big moves, which due to the nature of their feud and how Hangman wrestles is all they did. It was inventive looking enough I suppose. Swerve even tried a moment of matwork with the failed octopus and armbreak until realizing that there's no point in doing any of that shit with him. Overjoyed at them not doing the five minutes... until they said it'd be a three-way, which made me audibly groan and ask for the five minutes instead. Best part was Nana literally raindancing Swerve back to life and Page then hitting him with the chair for his interference. I hate how everyone has to sit up for the stomp off the top. HATE it.

- Wanna say that Renee is dressed like the Pentecostal girls that were at my high school but that's too much shoulder showing. Plus the tattoo and the hooker boots would get her excommunicated.

- Red Velvet is "straight outta her momma's kitchen"? Well, that's original. So are the apron and the... stirring motion? Okay... Hey, they bust out the chain wrestling! Doesn't stay long but is nice and snug while it lasts. Velvet is teeny and tough but she eats the ARSE OF DESTRUCTION and gets her ankle twisted. 

- Sign sez "Hate from Finland", Shartnado do you have something to do with this? 😛 There is a clear size differential here. Dragon even looks bigger next to the luchadors. BCC get the heat on Volador because he seems like the least of the bunch, especially from those weak forearms. I always feel embarrassed for somebody fucking up an intricate highspot just because they were too close to the ropes. Hechicero proves to be Kryptonite to everyone so Claudio goes full rudo and hits the FOULE~! for the pin. More CMLL guys run out but they're met by some randos from the back including I believe that dork Abrahantes with a piece of ring equipment that he swings around and lays on his shoulder like it's a gun? The CMLL guys did high flying that wasn't hitting the AAA level of spectacularity (then again we're talking about Vikingo here so who else can) and should probably rudo it up themselves instead.

- Big Business in Boston is the Big Deal tonight. I want my BCC Town attire. Fake AR-15s optional. 

I took in a screening of the 2009 masterpiece 'Black Dynamite' last night. At the Carlton. Neighboring Cinema to the historic Maple Leaf Gardens. 

Black Dynamite level show. Fuckin' awesome! Swerve v Hanger was so fun. Two of the very best. I'm so ready for heel Adam Page! I really wish we could at least get elimination rules for this 3 way. Please Coach Tony! Samoa Joe promo came correct. BTW boss Joe shirts looking like 'Eraserhead' shirts. Toni v Red was a nice TV match. Great job from Velvet. This felt like Toni really finding her legs IN RING with this character. Really hoping she and Deonna tear it the fuck down at the ppv. OC/Rocky/Trent promo took relaxed to mean meaningless and produced a bit of a comedic misfire. I loved BCC v CMLL. Fun mid-card feud going on. Very interested to see BCC at Arena Mexico. Assuming this is a feud with legs, I suspect the matches will get even better as they go along. Hoping Hechicero finds a way to stick around following all this. He's a perfect mid-level enhancement guy - if not more. Cole Group/Taylor bit left a little to be desired. 'Big Announcement from Tony' really gets ppl hoping and wishing. I honestly never expect more than 'big show in Boston', and I'm never disappointed. Jericho v Takeshita was fine. I thought Takeshita worked around Lionheart fairly well, and looked pretty strong coming out of this. Sammy's chairshot to Hobbs looked pretty gnarly. I echo the following sentiment concerning Jericho...

8 hours ago, Log said:

I think if Jericho wants to keep going, more power to him. I just wish he’d realize his limitations. When he did the more grounded, hard-hitting stuff with Kingston and Danielson it worked. He just needs to accept that there are certain things his body won’t allow him to do anymore. Why attempt some complicated top-rope reversal or whatever if there’s zero chance it’ll look right and there’s a high chance you injure yourself or your opponent?

Bill/Starks v Sting/Darby was so fun. That goddamn Bossman Slam! The 64 year old man diving. Bill's bounce back clothesline on Sting after the splash. Everything, everything! Perfect quarter hour to end a pretty blowaway Dino-mite! I said 'Goddamn, Goddamn!' Blood covered white suit Bucks with those perfect goatees! EVP Trigger! L-U-V-A-E-W!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 7

I'll probably be in the minority but didn't care for the Hangman vs Swerve match, but I also didn't care for their first match and it was mostly the violence of the death match I enjoyed. Called the triple thread weeks ago but still a decent way to get there. Double turn is interesting though it doesn't feel quite consistent with either guys characters - Swerve hasn't done anything to 'redeem' his scumbag actions, he's just won matches, and the Hangman we've seen through his AEW career wouldn't pussy out. Oh well, at least we get an Evil Moustache so that's something.

I really hope against odds Sting & Darby win at the PPV and Sting goes out on top. Having the Bucks ruin the title celebration AND having Sting lose his final match just feels like two downers in a row. The beatdown was well done and added some much needed heat into the match, but yeah I feel like I need to be 'sent home happy' now.

Money on Banks and Okada double debut at the Boston show it seems.

I have no idea where this BCC vs CMLL feud has come from, but I am here for it. Thought the trios was a total blast and even better than Danielson vs Hechicero. It's been a long time since I've followed lucha that closely, is this the same Dorada who was in WWE? He was awesome.

54 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Swerve's beaten Hangman twice already. He didn't need the additional five minutes. Hangman was the one that needed to beat Swerve

well, Hangman's gamble in not taking 5 more minutes paid off in the end, didn't it?

someone with too much time on their hands can figure out how much of the 30:07 had Swerve on offense and how much had Hangman on offense just to make up a score for the match

although, if they wanted a reference to Sting at the first Clash, the Sting/Darby vs Bucks title match should have judges

Sandy Scott and Ken Osmond are dead

Gary Juster is with MLW in a sense

Patty Mullen is presumably still alive

Jason Hervey worked a Christmas movie with Danica McKellar like 2 years ago

so... 5 judges, Gary Juster, Jason Hervey, lets sub in Melissa Joan Hart or Topanga for Mullen unless you can find Patty Mullen in 2024, the fishing host Orlando Wilson replaces Ken Osmond, and our 5th judge... 

Tonnnnny.... we're out of time.....

So that's a solid 5 judges... that won't actually do anything because we're not going to a time limit draw.

6 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I was wondering if they were setting up a Best Friends turn on OC too. Maybe he takes the fall in the tag. 

I hadn't thought of that, but I can see it happening. Rocky getting in Trent's ear that OC is holding them all back so he can be the star of the group. And in a roundabout way, blaming him for Taylor getting re-injured with the idea that the Kingdom attacked Taylor because they wanted to send a mesage to OC.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I think the double turn was the right call but the way they went about it didn't really make a ton of sense.

Swerve's beaten Hangman twice already. He didn't need the additional five minutes. Hangman was the one that needed to beat Swerve. Additionally the AEW rankings they put out had Swerve at #1 so the logic of him not getting a title shot for failing to beat Hangman wasn't there.

Yeah, it gave everyone an excuse to boo Hangman but probably should have been leaned into as his self doubts manifesting that he couldn't beat Swerve and was ducking him, rather than trying to fuck with him or do the smart thing and hang onto a title shot he never had to begin with.

I saw it as Hangman thinking a draw meant neither of them got the shot, and Hangman's stated goal is to make sure Swerve never becomes champ, because that's how he hurts him the most.

Hangman's bitterness towards Swerve and the fans is what is fueling his justified heel turn.  

• Like 4