DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 2/5 - 2/11/2024 - Hey Hey, My My, Rocky Pushed Cody Aside

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Going back to GUNTHER for a second, who said he couldn't hold both the IC and World belt? 🤔

I think this is actually a good route to go down and opens up different avenues. Gunther becoming a double champ means you can sneakily merge his greatest IC champ reign into a world title affair, and I’d argue that would elevate the fairly meaningless Seth belt. 

If Roman wins at Mania then you can potentially build to a big showdown of the dominant double champs. If Cody wins then there’s another still mountain for him climb still. 

• Like 2

On the subject of Seth - I thought he did the absolute best he could despite the situation. Once the conversation started building to the Rock's entrance, he couldn't really defend himself or say anything important on the microphone because the "scene" wasn't really about him.

So he tried to be a stand up guy that fans could defend as being a great champion. When Roman was picking Rock as his opponent, Rollins took offense because that wasn't how it worked. The Rumble winner, picks - and of course Rollins wanted to be the one to be picked. And when Rock slapped Cody, and they dragged Rhodes away, Seth stood up to both of them because Rock/Roman working together is a bigger problem kayfabe wise for wrestlers. And as the architect and visionary he is, he sees it.

FAN THEORY

I think they're running the Mike Tyson angle from Austin vs. HBK. I was actually fantasy booking this story when Rock did the "Head of the Table" line last month. I think Rock works with Roman all the way to Mania, and then turns on him to help Cody get the win.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Have him go to NXT to work as a trainer/booker, join Smackdown as a color commentator, keep him on the pre-shows, anything but wrestle.

During the Vengeance Day media call, Michaels admitted flat out he wanted Punk in NXT.

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

On the subject of Seth - I thought he did the absolute best he could despite the situation.

I found someone who disagrees with you! 

yeah...  I'm ready for this Drew McIntyre to kick Seth's head clean off.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

FAN THEORY

I think they're running the Mike Tyson angle from Austin vs. HBK. I was actually fantasy booking this story when Rock did the "Head of the Table" line last month. I think Rock works with Roman all the way to Mania, and then turns on him to help Cody get the win.

If they really want Cody to look strong, I'd have this happen except Rock just prevents the rest of the Bloodline from interfering. 

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well it's Drew so I'll allow it. That guy is absolutely crushing it.

That guy was booked to put over Seth's title reign, and yet he's some how gotten to the point where seeing him face Seth AGAIN, at Mania no less, is one of the best options on the table.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Roman/Rock is way past the point where its worth pursuing. The Rock is in no shape for that type of match.

In ring-wise, I can agree with this statement, but even if they do not do a one on one with those two at Mania this year, Roman/Rock will still get them a lot press  even if the match is awful and/or if they do at another PPV, if the Rock really wants to do it.  

I think to justify having Seth involved, and put more heat on it, you have Rock/Bloodline either further injure Seth's knee that the title is vacated and up for grabs at Elimination Chamber (Rock best for businessing him and vacating it without doing anything also works), or they cost him the title at Elimination Chamber.

Put the title on Drew, makes his match with Sami that much more relevant and you can justify their match on night one or two being a midcard whatever scenario if they choose to have Roman on both nights.

Rollins/Cody vs Rock/Reigns seems the best use of limited Rock.

55 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

With the exception of him being a Tampa Bay Lightning fan because fuck the Lightning, Drew rules. Please WWE, give this guy his bag and re-sign him. Let him take whatever time off he wants or needs. 

• Like 1

I presume it’s just because he likely lives in Tampa. Seems like a lot of the Canadians that live there adopted them as their second team after their hometown/childhood favorite.  I mean, better than wearing a devil rays hat. 

the best heels are the ones that tell the truth.

Edited by odessasteps

I guess the "High Chief Peter Maivia heel turn in a tag team match" homage is still possible for Rock in a tag match...

to quote HistoryOfWWE for the people unfamiliar

WWWF World Champion Bob Backlund (w/ Arnold Skaaland) & Peter Maivia fought Spiros Arion & Victor Rivera (w/ Freddie Blassie) to a double disqualification at 9:42 when Maivia attacked Skaaland, who he had been arguing with for several minutes, threw him in the ring, ripped his shirt off and began choking him with it; Maivia then attacked Backlund as well as Arion & Rivera held him up until several other wrestlers came out to stop it; Backlund had wrestled the majority of the match himself after Maivia kept tagging out after only being in the ring 10-15 seconds at a time, which led to the arguments with Skaaland; as the show came to a close, Vince McMahon attempted to interview Backlund, with Backlund screaming “What happened?” and that he would “Kill than son of a bitch”

Edit: or in video form

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

Tag match was awesome! I hope Dunne and Bate win at EC and they run them and DIY back at Mania. 

Is Bayley getting set up to be the next Sting with Dakota turning on her? 

I hope Bianca can do better with Jade than she did with Michinn. 

And my final note: PUSH PRETTY DEADLY TO THE MOON! YES, BOY!

I saw someone somewhere note how in the backstage bit from the presser Rock and Roman were in lockstep but Rock was the one clearly the one taking the lead... which would sorta imply that in the grand scheme of things Roman is to the Rock what Jey Uso was to him. If Rock is willing to play heel for a bit and you do want to start laying the pieces for a Roman face turn... that's a very intriguing bit to have in play.

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

And my final note: PUSH PRETTY DEADLY TO THE MOON! YES, BOY!

The Queen Elizabeth cloud gag had me laughing my ass off. 

Really good show tonight. I was surprised Bate and Dunne won. Belair vs Michin was good as well even if the winner was never in doubt there.

Also, I really am excited for next week to see where The Rock and Roman go with this angle. As for Seth, I really hope it's Drew who wins the chamber. His new gimmick of being a troll master is amazing. So I really want him go win.

• Like 1

Opening segment was a little fun for the digs HHH made towards the Bloodline while cementing Roman/Cody as the main event of Wrestlemania. Also dug the smile HHH had when Dom's name was announced for an elimination qualifier. You can tell how happy everyone is for Dom having the level of heat he does every time they talk about him  in interviews or on the shows themselves. That type of love and/or hatred is so hard to achieve. Drew continued his tremendous bastard run when he came down for his match.

Drew/AJ was good stuff as expected. Enjoyed Knight on commentary.

Bianca/Mia was solid. Was nice to see them use it as a showcase for Mia since they knew she was losing. 

Bayley's segment with Dakota was decent though I think I would have preferred it in a backstage environment. Interesting to see them leave things a bit in the air on where Dakota is aligned. Still need the joshi contingent to murder Bayley at some point if only for cred.

DIY vs. British Strong Style was another fine match. Was pleased to see Bate and Dunne take the victory. 

Orton/Sami was solid though the outcome was never in doubt.

Generally solid-good matches and segments with some nice forward movement towards Elimination Chamber and Wrestlemania. Good show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

KO was night 1, the other 3 were night 2 with McAfee getting the last one.

Ahhh. I only watched KO vs Austin and Rhodes vs Reigns from that WM. It's possible I watched more, but I honestly don't remember. I'm pretty sure I only cared to watch those two. OH, and KO/Sami vs the Usos. I know people will say, "go watch Gunther vs whoever" but I honestly don't care. I could barely watch WWE matches then and it has only gotten a little better now. It's actually physically nauseating and almost migraine inducing to watch. I have never been motion sick so I don't know what that feels like, but whatever feeling I got from watching how WWE matches are shot and produced makes me think it's motion sickness.

Since I started re-watching more over the last few months or so, it seems like it's a little better. And Roman's matches don't really necessitate a lot of quick cuts so those aren't that much of a problem. But I just remember parts of the tag match and one part in particular during KO vs Austin where Austin was throwing punches and stomping a mudhole and it was cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut on every strike and I felt myself start to feel sick. Getting old is super fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

If they really want Cody to look strong, I'd have this happen except Rock just prevents the rest of the Bloodline from interfering. 

This is what I think is going to happen.   Cody has Roman beat.  Solo comes out.  Jimmy comes out.  Here we go again.  The Rock comes out.  What the fuck.  And then The Rock beats up Solo and Jimmy allowing Cody to take out Roman once and for all.