DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEBRUARY 2024

Keep Tony Khan away from Twitter. WON Reader Awards 2023 spoilers:

Spoiler

WWE wins Promotion of the Year for the first time since 2000 stopping AEW winning four in a row. Triple H win for Booker of the Year and Nick Khan the Promoter of the Year. Tony Khan had won the former three years running and the latter four.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Keep Tony Khan away from Twitter. WON Reader Awards 2023 spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

WWE wins Promotion of the Year for the first time since 2000 stopping AEW winning four in a row. Triple H win for Booker of the Year and Nick Khan the Promoter of the Year. Tony Khan had won the former three years running and the latter four.

Also keep Tony away from DVDVR and hope he doesn't reactive his account to respond.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 10:21 PM, Technico Support said:

Normally, a respectable tattoo artist won't go above the neck or maybe below the wrists so as not to hurt anyone's future employment prospects, social standing, etc.

Darby walks in and the tattoo guy is like, "yeah, no problem."

"Well, anything I do here won't make your chances any worse than you've already made them yourself."

• Haha 3

I'm hoping Toni-Deonna have a better week. Besides the questionable choices of heel and babyface, they've told a fair story and featured mostly good segments. The Madison Rayne performance v Deonna certainly hurt things, but maybe some good promos could get things back on track. The actual PPV match could potentially be excellent. 

• Like 1

There are two big problems with that program:

-Deonna showed up, won like two squashes, and was booked as the challenger.  She did a few promos but really there's nothing to latch on to there.  Why should we be interested in this chase when we barely know her?

-People like Toni's character.  Deonna showing up and saying "I want the real Toni Storm, not this character" goes against that.  It would be like Drew Gulak showing up, immediately getting at shot at the International title, and demanding he face Fire Ant, not this Orange Cassidy person.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

-Deonna showed up, won like two squashes, and was booked as the challenger.  She did a few promos but really there's nothing to latch on to there.  Why should we be interested in this chase when we barely know her?

-People like Toni's character.  Deonna showing up and saying "I want the real Toni Storm, not this character" goes against that.  It would be like Drew Gulak showing up, immediately getting at shot at the International title, and demanding he face Fire Ant, not this Orange Cassidy person.

I don't entirely disagree, but Deonna has in her short run defeated Velvet, Anna, Kiera Hogan, Taya and Madison Rayne. That's enough for a title shot. The mediated interview they did with Renee set-up their history; which is something, and enough. I can totally accept the wrestling trope of you're now delusional, but were great, and I want the great version. I wouldn't by any means say this feud has lit the world on fire, but I think it's been pretty solid, especially for an AEW Women's World Title feud. All that said, it feels like the work prior has been forgotten by many following the rotten Rayne match. 

• Like 5

They need to establish Deonna as a big player now before Mercedes Monè debuts and takes screen time and Deonna ends up getting forgotten. It could still happen like when Taz got lost in the shuffle when the Radicalz debuted shortly after him.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

More importantly: Deonna is BORING. I don't see any difference between her and Deeb, they both (may) be technically sound, but both of their personalities are super stale and I've got no reason to care about her.

• Like 1

Collision was a solid show overall last Saturday. The main event angle between Danielson, Akiyama, and Kingston I thought was executed perfectly. You can't watch a segment like that and say there was no storytelling or character work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

You can't watch a segment like that and say there was no storytelling or character work

Yeah, the whole "Tony is just a match scheduler, he doesn't do any booking" talking point is stupid.  Could he book more, and better?  Absolutely.  But you know, we don't do nuance anymore.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Sublime said:

They need to establish Deonna as a big player now before Mercedes Monè debuts and takes screen time and Deonna ends up getting forgotten. It could still happen like when Taz got lost in the shuffle when the Radicalz debuted shortly after him.

Taz(z) was too short to be taken seriously by McRapist. His downfall had little to do with perennial low to mid-carders like Perry Saturn or Dean Malenko or top stars like Benoit or Eddie. I'm not sure that Deonna needs to establish herself as a 'big' player. She has the mic and ring skills to play the long game. She's a HEEL tho. There's nothing about her that's ever suggested babyface. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Taz(z) was too short to be taken seriously by McRapist. His downfall had little to do with perennial low to mid-carders like Perry Saturn or Dean Malenko or top stars like Benoit or Eddie. I'm not sure that Deonna needs to establish herself as a 'big' player. She has the mic and ring skills to play the long game. She's a HEEL tho. There's nothing about her that's ever suggested babyface. 

This. 

Deonna's character has strong heel energy. I get that both champions are heel and they needed to get her established, but she will be at her best feuding with Willow, Stat and Shida.

• Like 5

Deonna is playing the straight woman for Toni to bounce her wackiness off of. The feud has been pretty well done for the most part, I think the Madison Rayne stinker is just too fresh in people's minds. It highlights why Toni was incredibly smart to develop this gimmick, though, because it gives her a way to make her matches stand out even against people who can't keep up with workrate Toni Storm in the ring. I suspect Toni and Deonna will have a really good match at Revolution before they go their separate ways.

I agree long-term that Deonna will be better off going full heel, and I eagerly await the Mariah/Toni feud where they take "underling finally snaps" trope and turn it upside down with the boss character ending up as the sympathetic face while the underling is portrayed as a Mark David Chapman/Yolanda Salvidar type.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The thought process when all of this went down was that Tazz was supposed to be a really big deal as the sawed off killer for Vince, but then the RadicalZ came in and it all went to hell. Just the timing was against him. All four of those guys are going to push Tazz down the list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dokdoyle said:

The thought process when all of this went down was that Tazz was supposed to be a really big deal as the sawed off killer for Vince, but then the RadicalZ came in and it all went to hell. Just the timing was against him. All four of those guys are going to push Tazz down the list.

The Toxic Head of Creative clearly saw Tazz at a certain level. If hypothetically those 4 world class performers didn't jump to WWE I still have a hard time believing it would have matter at all. It's not much different than suggesting a specific wrestler coming in after Raven hurt his push. 

15 hours ago, Kang said:

The new Dynamite logo for Canada

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/aew-reschedules-winnipeg-dynamite-event

There is the hint of one for America with different colors on Zarian's X/Twitter, more red and blue 

Thanks, I hate it

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
To be clear: I like the gradient outline as a throwback to the early days, but the font is butt