DVDVR Message Board

The 58th Superb Owl

Dolfan in NYC

Live from Las Vegas....  Sunday, February 11.... 6:30 PM ET

SUPER BOWL LVIII

The Kansas City Chiefs vs. The San Francisco 49ers (-1)

In honor of this year's game, our superb owl is one of the few owls native to the Vegas area, THE BURROWING OWL~~~

Watching this it becomes clear, Isiah Pacheco has clearly patterned his running style after this magnificent bird.

Enjoy the game! 

• Like 2

Only reason I'm going for SF is because of Kittle with his Cero Miedo love.  Aside from that I'm just hoping for more wacky commercials that don't suck and good halftime show.

I want Brock Purdy to win a Super Bowl and thus single-handedly destroy the entire Draft Analysis Industry once and for all as he becomes the living proof that it’s a crapshoot and everyone’s basically just blind guessing 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I want Brock Purdy to win a Super Bowl and thus single-handedly destroy the entire Draft Analysis Industry once and for all as he becomes the living proof that it’s a crapshoot and everyone’s basically just blind guessing 

If he ever passed the ball more than 10 yards, sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Purdy led the NFL in air yards per attempt among guys who actually played. 

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

He was 4th in attempts that traveled 10+ yards and led the NFL in attempts that traveled 20+. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

As much as it pains me to say something nice about Purdy, I do think that has been something oft repeated about him but not actually true. In 2023 he was #2 in the NFL in Air Yards Per Completion (at 7.2 yards) and #8 in attempted air yards per attempt (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/passing_advanced.htm). I found conflicting rankings on different sites but all had him in the Top 10, some #1 depending on how the math was done. Some of that I do think is A LOT of teams were doing those WR screens this year, not just the 49ers, it was the "it" play of 2023 which probably impacted everyone's numbers. And a lot of his highlights are the screens to Deebo or CMC but he did throw deeper than most other QBs on average.

EDIT:   aww Tabe beat me to it

I'd normally root for San Fran since they're the Dead's team. Bob Weir is a mega fan. But after all these Taylor Swift psy-op conspiracy theories I'm seeing from the far right lunatics, I'm leaning towards KC.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 3

I really don't like the Chiefs and never have, but I dislike the Niners even more and I'm a...Taylor Swift fan...

Yeah yeah, whatever. I don't care. I like her music. I'm old and I'm allowed to like some commercialized, mainstream pop music. Plus, if the Chiefs win, like Johnny said, all of the right wing nutjobs will lose their fucking minds if Swift can make it to the game.

• Like 2

Wasn't there a Raw in the Stone Cold era where the whole show, it was this race to see if he'd make it to the arena before the end of the show? Am I making that up?

Anyway, they need cameras on Swift leaving Japan to see if she can make it to Vegas before the end of the game.

1 hour ago, Log said:

Wasn't there a Raw in the Stone Cold era where the whole show, it was this race to see if he'd make it to the arena before the end of the show? Am I making that up?

Anyway, they need cameras on Swift leaving Japan to see if she can make it to Vegas before the end of the game.

CBS is going to go all out with Swift's travels from Tokyo to Las Vegas, I bet they'll have Phil Keoghan from The Amazing Race host the segments during the pre-game show. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Log said:

Maybe? There's definitely a very infamous Nitro that involved whether or not Goldberg could walk across the street from the police station to the Georgia Dome in a half hour or so in time for the main event.

• Haha 3

Purdy stepped up and ran for those first downs in that game which is something I’ve seen recent MVPs refuse to do with the game on the line. Then blame the coach. And more recently I saw Dak do something similar. I don’t care wtf else he does or doesn’t do, it was a breath of fresh air to see a quarterback do something he doesn’t normally do to help win a game. 

As far as I'm concerned, Purdy's produced a season and a half (counting playoff games) of showing he's a guy. Yes, his team is absurdly talented around him, it's kind of why they're in the Super Bowl after only injuries thwarted them last year. Dude's going to play well and it'll be a competitive game.

Maybe.

The Niners have come out flat in two straight playoff games and needed a comeback to win. Both wins were against teams where, in the case of my dear Packers you had the youngest team to ever make the playoffs. I don't think the moment overwhelmed them but a squad as fucking good as the Niners should have throttled us. The Lions had an unbelievable level of pressure on them if you think about it but even then the came out and fucked UP the Niners early on. Problem is, they were also an inexperienced opponent for the level of competition they'd reached. Point is the Niners didn't just stomp these teams into dust like you'd think, at home even!

Chiefs come out and punch the Niners in the mouth *and* yambag simultaneously during the first half. The difference now is the Chiefs know how to put away another team and will *excel* at this through the running game. Mahomes/Kelce hook up once but Pacheco will be their second half closer. 

I like variety, but I see an indisputable Chiefs "team of the decade" dynasty thing happening. It won't be insane like the Patriots, more like the Cowboys without the crashing and burning after their third championship. Dangit though, the Niners are also in the mix for another year at least so I'll go ahead and predict a rematch next year too. 

(hope next year is Packers/Browns so a team can finally make the championship and also so the Packers will be uber-babyfaces)

The 49ers have looked flat in big games but I’m about ready to write it off Bill Belichik style. If it’s, I don’t know, 28-3, the 49ers don’t panic. They just keep playing and usually win. If they get blown out they go on to Buffalo. Only a Kyle Shanahan X and O disaster can stop them IMO, which I wouldn’t rule out even though he does seem to have learned.