DVDVR Message Board

2024 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Gonzo

On 2/6/2024 at 4:57 PM, RIPPA said:

To the shock of everyone*  (read - no one) the NFL is really, REALLY pissed off about this.  They are arguing that their current contracts do not allow for their games to be shown on this new service and are "scouring their contracts" to find loopholes to get their stuff off.

On 2/16/2024 at 10:12 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

To the shock of everyone*  (read - no one) the NFL is really, REALLY pissed off about this.  They are arguing that their current contracts do not allow for their games to be shown on this new service and are "scouring their contracts" to find loopholes to get their stuff off.

This is getting interesting.

If the NFL is pissed, and they are facing another lawsuit... I won't be surprised if this ends up being one of those things that just stops being mentioned until it never launches and quietly goes away. 

Because it's a hell of a lot less valuable without the NFL content.

• Like 1

Boy.  Had to click the link to figure out who Burke is.  

Can Awful Announcing's site be any busier?  It's like Mike Florio's website designer on coke.

Am I reading the story right?   Is Fox suing him because he got a private URL and watched and recorded a video?  

Manti Te'o's girlfriend will be so sad if that's the case. 

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Am I reading the story right?   Is Fox suing him because he got a private URL and watched and recorded a video?  

Also distribution of "protected commercial broadcast video streams" which is probably the bigger issue FOX News has

As noted - Burke's lawyers claim there was no crime because Burke "just guessed" the URL and that because it was on the internet "it doesn’t require special legal permissions"

Also as noted in the AA article - "hacking" has been applied in previous cases to "just guessing a password"

And there are separate reports that Burke used CBS media credentials that were accidentally published by a Tennessee radio station which clearly isn't "guessing the URL"

Peter King announced this AM that he is "retiring"

He admitted that he probably is gonna continue doing some sort of work, he just doesn't know what it is yet

• Like 1

Nothing about this is surprising but it is just more proof that the dude bro who bought Sports Illustrated did so to just use the name and not for the actual "journalism" side

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Nothing about this is surprising but it is just more proof that the dude bro who bought Sports Illustrated did so to just use the name and not for the actual "journalism" side

They're using the name for resorts/hotels and a cheap clothing line at JC Penney.

https://www.si.com/media/2023/09/28/sports-illustrated-resorts-discussions-ann-arbor-michigan

https://www.jcpenney.com/g/men/workout-clothes?brand=sports+illustrated&id=cat100290088

On 2/27/2024 at 11:54 AM, Mister TV said:

They're using the name for resorts/hotels and a cheap clothing line at JC Penney.

Two perpetual death spirals that taste great together?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Peyton Manning is trying to work out a deal with Bill Belichick to join Omaha Productions.  

Should he succeed, the current idea is that Hoodie will join Peyton & Eli on the ManningCast of MNF.  

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Peyton Manning is trying to work out a deal with Bill Belichick to join Omaha Productions.  

Should he succeed, the current idea is that Hoodie will join Peyton & Eli on the ManningCast of MNF.  

I'd watch if Bill does the Manning Cast like he did his press conferences.

On 3/3/2024 at 5:40 PM, RIPPA said:

The amount of people I've heard talk about who Chris Mortensen was of camera has been pretty incredible. He's up there with Tim Kurkjian on the list of people that no one seems to have a bad word to say about him.  In a business where everyone seems to be fighting to keep their spot he advocate for ESPN to hire all the NFL reporters who could possible replace him. He was also someone who had a great sense of humor who would mercifully bust your balls,  but would also be the first person to stand up and protect your name if anyone talked shit about you behind your back. When I go,  I hope people talk about me like they've talked about him over the past few days. 

• Like 2