DVDVR Message Board

2024 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Gonzo

There's a funny irony in there of Carton's former enabler partner accidentally booking a fucking Horse racing announcer by accident.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

They should give it a catchy name like "Cable TV"

I'm already guessing the price point is going to be something bananas like $89/mo. 

My favorite part of this story is the networks complaining that broadcasting rights are too expensive. It's almost a mystery of who made them like that.  🤔

• Like 2

Not to say Rugg isn't the sort to come at this story with a certain POV. . .  

But, none of the Chiefs colors on any of their uniforms are "black."    

G/O will probably settle quickly and fire the writer, but this *is* a highly defensible case.   And yet another example of why writers everywhere, in all media, should unionize.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 12:50 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

But, none of the Chiefs colors on any of their uniforms are "black."    

But they do sell black jerseys in their pro shop. 

It's not a defensible case. It is blatantly obvious the kid wasn't doing a racist blackface thing. 

• Like 1

it was an excuse for some smug snarky hipster dud bro to make fun of a kid under the guise of being progressive. 

but hey, satire, free speech and all that jazz. 😉

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

it was an excuse for some smug snarky hipster dud bro to make fun of a kid under the guise of being progressive.

Yeah, here's the last I'll say about it, because this is gonna degenerate quickly. 

Carron Phillips is the author in question.  He's an African-American Pulitzer Prize-nominated author who has won a Journalist of the Year award from the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists. 

Is it wrong to assume the motivations of a kid as being racist in nature?  Possibly.  Is it libelous?  Probably not.  Phillips is going to come to this story with a different point of view than a lot of people, as it appears most of his writing is about the role race plays in sports and sports fandom.

There's a case to be made that diversity in journalistic voices is going to lead to things like this. And personally, I think it would be extremely tough to prove that Phillips went into the article knowingly and maliciously misrepresenting the kid's motivations.  That's why I think there's a defensible case here. 

And if anything, this probably should fall on the laps of the editors at zombie Deadspin, who at the very least, could have reviewed the article and decided whether or not it met the standards of their publication. 

I mean,  the kid probably isn't the racist in this situation,  but a whole lot of adults had to be racist for this shit to happen in the first place. Calling your team the Kansas City Chiefs...a native American characature, is racist. Fans dressing up in native American display is racist. Doing that obnoxious chop is racist. Dressing up a little kid who doesn't really understand the implications as a native American stereotype is irresponsible at the absolute best,  but it could very well be interpreted as racist. If that kid racist? Maybe... but is the entire situation racist,  100% yes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

. And personally, I think it would be extremely tough to prove that Phillips went into the article knowingly and maliciously misrepresenting the kid's motivations.  That's why I think there's a defensible case here. 

The kid isn't a public figure. Malice isn't part of the standard. 

And the kid is a Native American. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tabe said:

The kid isn't a public figure. Malice isn't part of the standard. 

And the kid is a Native American. 

This is advice for everybody,  never and I mean never trust anyone who claims to be native American on the internet. There is only about 1-2% of the population that are native American and most of them live in 14 states. The odds of a native American family dressing their child like that to go to a football game in Missouri are as close to zero as you can get. It's not impossible,  but I'm going to need some compelling evidence. This is like when the Washington franchise was trotting out "native Americans" to vouch for their old name and none of them were actually native American. You can find a whole bunch of people claiming to be native American on the internet,  but there are less than 25,000 native Americans in a state of over 6 million people. It would be like if they found a black dude in Idaho who walks around town in blackface. It's not impossible,  but how many native American people dress up like that to go to a football game? 

• Like 1

I'll put it like this: I live literally less than five miles from a pretty major tribal land. The city I live in, that is partially on was the rest bordering tribal land, is slightly under 4% Native American according to the 2010 census.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

This is advice for everybody,  never and I mean never trust anyone who claims to be native American on the internet. There is only about 1-2% of the population that are native American and most of them live in 14 states. The odds of a native American family dressing their child like that to go to a football game in Missouri are as close to zero as you can get. It's not impossible,  but I'm going to need some compelling evidence. This is like when the Washington franchise was trotting out "native Americans" to vouch for their old name and none of them were actually native American. You can find a whole bunch of people claiming to be native American on the internet,  but there are less than 25,000 native Americans in a state of over 6 million people. It would be like if they found a black dude in Idaho who walks around town in blackface. It's not impossible,  but how many native American people dress up like that to go to a football game? 

Also, one person participating in or perpetuating stereotypes does not mean it's acceptable to continue said perpetuation.

It's really no better than the "but I have a [insert marginalized section of population here] friend and they said it's okay" argument.

11 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Lucky guy. That killed my father in law on January 18. Zeis is one of the few local scribes I enjoyed when he was on the radio for segments 

So sorry about your dad. My condolences 🙏🏽❤️

• Like 1

In maybe the most Stugotz thing ever, his new Personal Record book that he announced last week is #1 on the Best Sellers in Sports Essays by Amazon even though

1.  It doesn't have a book cover

2.  It may actually not even been finished

🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

In maybe the most Stugotz thing ever, his new Personal Record book that he announced last week is #1 on the Best Sellers in Sports Essays by Amazon even though

1.  It doesn't have a book cover

2.  It may actually not even been finished

🤣🤣

3.  He got pretty much everyone else to write it. 

ESPN is getting a ton of shit probably deserving about how they decided to wait a good 30 minutes after the shooting at the Chiefs parade before cutting to the live coverage.  The pictures of all the networks talking and showing about the shooting and ESPN doing their NBA Live TAPED SHOW is not a good look for them