DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

Tony Khan should've fired Jungle Boy immediately after All In and done it in an even more public way than what happened with Punk. He should've sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" with new lyrics talking about Jungle Boy being fired. A lot went wrong before that whole mess, but that was not the night to pull shit. Jungle Boy is a pissant 26-year-old manchild who made everything about him and proved he's unreliable backstage and onstage. He shot his way out of a job in AEW and likely from ever getting a shot in WWE. An entitled dumbass.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

What’s the best Doors song to use without permission for a faction theme?

I’m thinking “Riders on the Storm” would be a solid pick

Would be amazing if Perry was a better Jim Morrison than the guy on the guy on the AEW roster who used the last name Morrison for years 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzpncIHCLs

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Who would be the Ray Manzarek that can work two different styles at the same time? Who will be the John Densmore who is super uptight and refuses to do anything modern so he wrestles like somebody from the '50s? 

The Vaudvillians are out there

One good thing about AEW is that it quite often doesn't feel like the same show week to week. There isn't just one AEW.

Dynamite is:

• Samoa Joe vs HOOK for the World Title
  • Gates of Agony/Brian Cage vs Bullet Club Gold for the ROH Six-Man Title
  • Christian Cage vs Dustin Rhodes for the TNT Title
  • Young Bucks Talk
  • And some Women's Match and 1-2 more things.

I feel like if you told someone that was the going to be the show two months ago (maybe even two weeks ago), they'd shrug and believe you, but no one would have possibly guessed it.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzpncIHCLs

The Vaudvillians are out there

1. Yes, that's the best answer probably, if not "Roadhouse Blues".

2. Are they? I haven't heard from em in ages. Always liked that team. 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:
  • Christian Cage vs Dustin Rhodes for the TNT Title

Ohhhhh shit! I think we are all going to be very pleased with this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sublime said:

Coming out to no music but have jack perry reading self-indulgent poems on the way to the ring 

Jungle Boy, Horse Latitudes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Tony Khan should've fired Jungle Boy immediately after All In and done it in an even more public way than what happened with Punk. He should've sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" with new lyrics talking about Jungle Boy being fired. A lot went wrong before that whole mess, but that was not the night to pull shit. Jungle Boy is a pissant 26-year-old manchild who made everything about him and proved he's unreliable backstage and onstage. He shot his way out of a job in AEW and likely from ever getting a shot in WWE. An entitled dumbass.

It's crazy how easily all of this could have been completely avoided. All Perry needed to do was take thirty seconds to go up to Punk and say "I've got an idea on how to get myself a little bit of extra heel heat."

On a positive note though, Perry doing New Japan Strong means that we don't have to worry about the Jurassic Express reunion that nobody has asked for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Who would be the Ray Manzarek that can work two different styles at the same time? Who will be the John Densmore who is super uptight and refuses to do anything modern so he wrestles like somebody from the '50s? 

nobody is jumping out at me for the Manzarek role, but as for Densmore.... have we already forgotten that "Matt Classic" (fka Colt Cabana) is already employed by AEW? 

6 hours ago, Coletti said:

I maintain that Perry would be potentially phenomenal in a "Pussy Posse"/Entourage kinda faction. Have it be him, Starks, Garcia, Kassidy and Quen as douchebag wannabe D-listers who's main concern is hooking up at the club after the show. Wrestling's done pseudo-Hollywood/rich prick characters before but I feel like this would be a different twist on that.

i really like the idea of a group like that, but also gotta agree that Garcia and (especially) Starks should not be a part of it. But i'm struggling to think who else could fit in easily. Griff Garrison? a heel turn for Action Andretti? ironcially enough, i could see this working for Brian Pillman Jr.

7 hours ago, Coletti said:

I maintain that Perry would be potentially phenomenal in a "Pussy Posse"/Entourage kinda faction. Have it be him, Starks, Garcia, Kassidy and Quen as douchebag wannabe D-listers whose main concern is hooking up at the club after the show. Wrestling's done pseudo-Hollywood/rich prick characters before but I feel like this would be a different twist on that.

This 100%. Hollywood rich kid/nepo baby. Are he and Anna Jay still a thing? Stick her on his arm too. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I'm wondering if AEW had anything to do with this appearance.

Lol well that's the safest bet ever. The company he showed up at is on such good terms with AEW they let one of their main event guys go on AEW PPV to announce he's signing with AEW 4 months early. It's definitely all approved. New Japan wouldn't use an AEW contract and all that and risk heat and politics messing with a good relationship. I'm sure JB is still on his AEW deal and getting paid by AEW. Who knows maybe they didn't want him back and this was a compromise. Or maybe lawyers got involved and said you can't ice him out the remainder of his contract or some such.

I'd be legitimately shocked if this was not agreed to by all parties and part of at least a vague plan to rehab JB / reinvent him.

• Like 9

Since I am on #TeamJackPerry my ideal would be he does New Japan/New Japan Strong for a few months to work off some rust and work on his new heel character before "invading" AEW and starting a feud with..... Ospreay, leading to a match at Double or Nothing. He shouldn't go right into any title pictures, just do his own side feud for a bit like Swerve/Page are doing before moving on to something more serious.

• Like 2

Definitely AEW approved. As mentioned by a few of us, there's obviously no payoff to any shooty thing involving the All In stuff because Punk is gone, and candidly, I'm not interested in any of that either - but, with that said, if AEW feels that needs to be addressed on-screen (even just opaquely/ loosely) lest Perry be "Streisand Effect-ed" by it for the rest of his time there, then I can think of no better way to do it than via a program with Kingston. Again, not necessarily clamoring for the shooty BS, but if word from the top is that it absolutely has to be done, I have faith that Eddie can elevate the material with some scathing promos levying a lot of the same criticisms of Perry that are on the last couple pages here

Edit

@mystmangood timing!

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MKERyan said:

This 100%. Hollywood rich kid/nepo baby. Are he and Anna Jay still a thing? Stick her on his arm too. 

Is TK comfortable enough in his own skin to book a spoiled rich kid heel? Or would it just be the “DIBiase is really Vince” situation? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Is TK comfortable enough in his own skin to book a spoiled rich kid heel? Or would it just be the “DIBiase is really Vince” situation? 

He sure loves Entourage

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

"Streisand Effect-ed"

You're gonna have to explain this one. 

She was on Colbert recently and of course didn't/wouldn't go in front of a live audience. I didn't watch, but she did the Colbert Questionnaire later on and boy did she ramble on egotistically. I mean it is all about the person themselves but she felt really full of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

She was on Colbert recently and of course didn't/wouldn't go in front of a live audience. I didn't watch, but she did the Colbert Questionnaire later on and boy did she ramble on egotistically. I mean it is all about the person themselves but she felt really full of it. 

Haha as much as I wish it was in reference to her oft-poor 'tude exclusively, there's a bit more to it - long story short, it's a term for trying to hide something and inadvertently drawing way more attention to it by doing so. Wiki explains it way better:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

My brother you missed or are forgetting the Trustbusters! I was certain Slim J and Ari Daivari were meant to be in-joke along those lines

(holy shit @Matt Dyour post just hit me while typing Daivari's name for the first time this year, well done)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mystman said:

He's gonna beat Kingston for the Triple Crown, mark my words.

Five years from now, these will be the opening words to the “Death of AEW” documentary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Streisand exited reality to her own disconnected world decades before Jerry Seinfeld did.

Re: Battle of the Belts
These last couple shows (at least) feel like they're getting thru a content contract they wished they hadn't signed. Further, I don't quite get why they feel the need to make BOTB a separate show. It confuses or makes clunky the promo materials. Why not sell it as 'Collision: Battle of the Belts - the three hour special'?  And actually build to said 'special' the same way you would a PPV. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
their they're there
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Re: Battle of the Belts
These last couple shows (at least) feel like they're getting thru a content contract they wished they hadn't signed. Further, I don't quite get why they feel the need to make BOTB a separate show. It confuses or makes clunky the promo materials. Why not sell it as 'Collision: Battle of the Belts - the three hour special'?  And actually build to said 'special' the same way you would a PPV. 

A quarterly Clash-esque big TV card is such a great idea in theory, but it’s been treated like an afterthought since the jump.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MKERyan said:

A quarterly Clash-esque big TV card is such a great idea in theory, but it’s been treated like an afterthought since the jump.

1 hour on a Saturday Night was never going to be easy. I'm okay with trying some things out and failing. Especially with this company's success rate. Combining the show with, first, Rampage and now Collision was and is a positive move. Unfortunately, the 'afterthought' part of the booking seems to persist. 

• Like 2