DVDVR Message Board

December 2023 Wrestling Talk

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno if it court can enforce a talent exchange

Well I think it was kind of an out-of-court settlement. Somebody mentioned it on the Forever Hardcore DVD IIRC, or maybe the WWE ECW DVD, about some talent. I think he got Sullivan, the Road Warriors, and somebody else. Maybe Foley. 

EDIT: The Steiners too. And y'all are mean!

Edited by Curt McGirt

I've probably dialed back my criticisms a tad in the WWE Network thread recently in regards to Mike Rotundo/Rotunda after Bray died but I find Mike Rotundo to be boring. I mean, it's possible that he had some good Florida stuff that I can see on YouTube and he's not a bad wrestler, but he's replacement-level at best.

Also if the 1990 NWA actually believed in coherent booking to explain gimmick changes, Mike Rotundo should have won a boat in a battle royal or something goofy before he became a captain of a boat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well I think it was kind of an out-of-court settlement. Somebody mentioned it on the Forever Hardcore DVD IIRC, or maybe the WWE ECW DVD, about some talent. I think he got Sullivan, the Road Warriors, and somebody else. Maybe Foley. 

If that is the case, I wonder why it was such a revelation that you had double agents within ECW helping talent eventually go the other way?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Now, I don't know enough/haven't seen enough of the guy to comment on this adequately, but I'll say this: if I had to describe what I've seen so far using other folks, my kneejerk reaction is that he seems like a chimera of Shane Douglas and Jake Hager. How far off am I?

I've seen him dressed like HHH calling himself "The Business" , then I saw his looking like short haired "list" era Jericho, lately he's been wearing red and yellow and Hulking up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Steiners run was in 95 when they were mostly with NJPW - in between WWF and WCW runs, similar for Hawk (and Animal never wrestled in ECW, he was sitting out his LLoyd's of London deal at that point).

• Like 1

Outsports has been releasing the new QWI 200 over the last few days. It's very impressive. But for some reason Saraya (Paige) made the list, which feels a slap in the face (because she's dating noted transphobe Ronnie Radke).

• Like 2

If I remember correctly he’s not just transphobic but pretty much anti-LGBTQ+ all around, cause, again if I’m remembering correctly, he left Christianity because he thought it was too tolerant of the LGBTQ+ community which is something to think I guess

Edited by Sublime
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, AxB said:

Outsports has been releasing the new QWI 200 over the last few days. It's very impressive. But for some reason Saraya (Paige) made the list, which feels a slap in the face (because she's dating noted transphobe Ronnie Radke).

She's bisexual, and there's plenty of Ls and Gs and Bs who are unchecked transphobes.

I remain exhausted.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

Even a T or two who are.  (I've met one)

I'm exhausted also.

That said, I found a nice local indie wrestler from that list that I'm sure me and my gf will support when she comes here.

Ah yes, the old "I'm not like those other trans people, I'm one of the good ones!" / "you have to stealth or don't bother!" jerks that some folks might call a pick me if they were cis.

Deeeeelightful ones.

19 hours ago, zendragon said:

406403995_699037758990651_71492100133108

That's a pretty loaded card. As someone who is a bit more familiar with the deep South territories and not so much St. Louis, was this just a supercard and atypical or was this just the norm? I watched the Missouri state title match and also Flair vs. Brody from this card earlier this year, which is why I am asking.

• Like 3

St Louis, at least until Muchnick retired, was stacked most weeks and often featured guys from all over the country being featured. Ron Fuller has some great early to mid 70s stories about being booked in StL and the hassle sometime of commuting back and forth while working in Florida or later in Knoxville and Memphis. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, St. Louis was Sam Muchnick, NWA president's territory and he only got the cream of the crop for his cards. Best payouts in the nation. Wrestling at the Chase was the local show that they shot at the Khorassan Room at the Chase Hotel where in the '50s, people in evening dress would sit at tables eating dinner while the wrestling went on in the middle. 

• Like 2

St. Louis was also pretty much a one-city promotion and not a full loop territory on its own (similar to Paul Boesch with Houston Wrestling and the Tunneys with Toronto/Maple Leaf Wrestling), undercards might be filled out with some folks homesteading in the adjacent Central States territory but the upper half of the cards were almost always the wrestling version of "all-star games" with national stars every 2-3 weeks, and then taping the next few weeks of Wrestling At The Chase TV the following morning I believe.

And man, if you want some other variants of "all-star game" booking, take a look at Honolulu results from 1971-1974. While there seemed to be a regular affiliation with the AWA, more often than not any American star that was on his way to and/or from Japan would also be on the bill, multiple shows where the upper half of the card features championships from all over the country being defended, such as one from 1973 where Pedro Morales defends the WWWF Heavyweight Championship and Nick Bockwinkel/Ray Stevens defend the AWA World Tag Team Championship, with Verne Gagne popping in quite a bit to defend the AWA World Championship AND Dory Funk Jr. also popping in on occasion to defend the NWA World Championship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1