DVDVR Message Board

December 2023 Wrestling Talk

24 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I originally thought this question was about the Ontario vs Ontario main event of Christian vs TWFKA Edge (which is a major "angle alert" match instead of a blowoff for anybody unsure of why they're doing this match on Dynamite)

Christian vs Edge in a match in Montreal where the winner is the first one to complete a coherent sentence in French

At least Copeland vs Cage has storyline and history. 

Omega vs Ethan Page is a cold match thrown together on a promo on a show that was only shown on the TSN app in Canada.

13 minutes ago, Infinit said:

At least Copeland vs Cage has storyline and history. 

Omega vs Ethan Page is a cold match thrown together on a promo on a show that was only shown on the TSN app in Canada.

While I obviously wish more were done with it for the rest of us non-Canadians, I gotta say, I don't hate the idea of running old school localized promos to try and help fill buildings.

I wonder if there would be an easy, cost-effective technological way to get location data for YouTube users and pump in a quick 10-15 second local promo before whatever video on their channel starts. I'm thinking of something along the lines of Iron Maiden using Spotify listener data to map their tour dates (not a bad idea in itself to track on the AEW Music/Mikey Ruckus page)

• Like 3

That's interesting, a lot of intriguing matches no matter where he ends up. AEW seems like a natural transition but it'd be fun to see what he could do in WWE

That said, my fingers are crossed for a vanity splinter promotion🤞

random Florida note:

While other people might find it odd that David Von Erich and Kerry were backing up Ric Flair during David's heel run in Florida in 1982 (because I knew of evil DVE before this), the thing I found a bit odd was seeing a young Barry Windham with dark hair upon his return from a car accident

also, Barry's running lariat/forearm looked pretty amazing with him irish whipping the guy and then bouncing off the ropes before running in to hit the move

Okada going anywhere that would require a move to the United States seems unlikely considering that his wife is Suzuko Mimori. She's not only more famous than he is, but her job isn't as likely to transfer as well to moving out of Japan as his.

So I'd say either expect him to stay in New Japan or expect him to be part-time if he goes to an American group.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Okada going anywhere that would require a move to the United States seems unlikely considering that his wife is Suzuko Mimori. She's not only more famous than he is, but her job isn't as likely to transfer as well to moving out of Japan as his.

So I'd say either expect him to stay in New Japan or expect him to be part-time if he goes to an American group.

Without even knowing the wife thing I figured this was just his way of getting whatever raise he wants to resign with NJPW.

Either way AEW already has more people than they can book and although the leadership has changed I’d still say the ceiling in the E for him would basically be the same as Nakamura.

If Vince was still there he’d have him form the new Kaientai with Nakamura and Asuka.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

One step closer to the voice of Macho Man Randy Savage reading stories for an app

If I were in charge at Slim Jim, I'd be reaching for that checkbook with the quickness. I can think of maybe only a handful of more enduring pitch-men. "Chips?!"

50 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

One step closer to the voice of Macho Man Randy Savage reading stories for an app

Now I'm imagining meditating to the soothing tones of Macho Man.  IMAGINE YOU'RE IN A CALM FOREST WITH A SOOTHING BREEZE BLOWING, CLEARING YOUR MIND OOOOHHHH YEEEEAHHHHHHH DIG IT

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Now I'm imagining meditating to the soothing tones of Macho Man.  IMAGINE YOU'RE IN A CALM FOREST WITH A SOOTHING BREEZE BLOWING, CLEARING YOUR MIND OOOOHHHH YEEEEAHHHHHHH DIG IT

Wrong cadence.

Imagine you're in a calm forest, yeah.  With a soothing breeze blowning, Yeah.  CLEARING YOUR MIND! DIG IT!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Wrong cadence.

Imagine you're in a calm forest, yeah.  With a soothing breeze blowning, Yeah.  CLEARING YOUR MIND! DIG IT!

True. Now ALL CAPS is more like if they did an Ultimate Warrior meditation: WHEN THE WARRIORS COME TO THE FOREST AND IT IS CALM THERE WILL BE NO MORE CALMNESS AS THE WARRIORS BLOW A SOOTHING BREEZE AND YOUR MIND WILL BE CLEAR BEACUSE YOU HAVE THE POWER. OF. THE WARRIORRRRRRRRR! *snarl*

I mean, that's not really meditative what with all the yelling, but yeah. 

53 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If I were in charge at Slim Jim, I'd be reaching for that checkbook with the quickness. I can think of maybe only a handful of more enduring pitch-men. "Chips?!"

"Chips?!" is written too tamely. Instead, think like how Shannon Sharpe said Skip Bayless's name, but replace the "sk" sound a "ch" sound, and you're closer.

CHIYYYYYY-UPS?!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

4 hours ago, FourPostMassacre said:

Without even knowing the wife thing I figured this was just his way of getting whatever raise he wants to resign with NJPW.

Either way AEW already has more people than they can book and although the leadership has changed I’d still say the ceiling in the E for him would basically be the same as Nakamura.

If Vince was still there he’d have him form the new Kaientai with Nakamura and Asuka.

I'm glad to see this was brought up. From what I'd seen, not only is Okada's wife more famous than him, (and maybe it thus goes without saying) she also makes more money than he does.

On that topic, the rumors about Okada's salary have usually been that what he makes in New Japan is comparable to what the top wrestlers in WWE make. 

The icing on the cake that I haven't seen mentioned here yet is that Okada and his wife had a child last year. All told, I don't think he'd have a ton of incentive to move overseas unless he'd be offered a ludicrous amount of money or NJPW absolutely can't afford him any longer. I can only assume a big part of the reason why New Japan hasn't been offering foreign wrestlers contracts is so they can ensure their domestic stars can keep getting paid and won't go elswhere.