DVDVR Message Board

December 2023 Wrestling Talk

Pre Sirius, it was pretty drab, similar to how a team announces the visiting team. It was a Bull's arena guy who started doing all the extra stuff and actually turning off the lights which was a big deal since the lighting at the old Chicago arena was I want to say halogen and it wasn't a guarantee they would turn back on right away so he really had to advocate for it.

• Like 3

I dunno why we can literally have two and a half to three hours of pregame coverage for the Super Bowl, but you just don't have enough time anymore to intro the teams right before the game. Like conservatively, three quarters of the viewing audience are casuals and can probably only name a half dozen active players in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno why we can literally have two and a half to three hours of pregame coverage for the Super Bowl, but you just don't have enough time anymore to intro the teams right before the game. Like conservatively, three quarters of the viewing audience are casuals and can probably only name a half dozen active players in the NFL.

They used to intro the O for one team and the D for the other, but the Patriots elected to be introduced as a team in one of their early Super Bowls, which lead the NFL doing away with it the next year. 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I know the one guy who's dating Taylor Swift, but my brain still autocorrects his name to "Beardy McBeardface" and as someone who was very much into the Gaylor theory for a few weeks you can take of that what you will.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

They used to intro the O for one team and the D for the other, but the Patriots elected to be introduced as a team in one of their early Super Bowls, which lead the NFL doing away with it the next year. 

That's incredibly stupid decision by the NFL. You can keep some of the human interest stories within that whole time blocked off for pregame coverage and be able to fit that in. God knows you can squeeze any another way to monetize the game and get that particular segment sponsored.

3 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

I know the one guy who's dating Taylor Swift, but my brain still autocorrects his name to "Beardy McBeardface" and as someone who was very much into the Gaylor theory for a few weeks you can take of that what you will.

It would even more confusing knowing he has a brother but the brother totally plays a totally different position on a different team. 

1 minute ago, Sparkleface said:

Well he's got a messier kept beard, and he's in the commercial about smelly laundry, so that's how I keep that organized in my mental file.

You can name them like the Villano family and have #1 and #2. I am guessing Mama Kelce is basically Ray Mendoza.

The Dark Side of the Ring marathon is on and I'm watching the Pillman one for the first time since it aired. I remembered Kim Wood saying something that was jarring and this is what it was: 

Spoiler

"What is your personal opinion of Vince?" 

"What's my personal opinion of Vince?" 

"Yeah."

"What do you do with a whore? Ya fuck 'em."

That is one of the most brutal burns ever and it still feels hot. And deserved. As my old friend Justin would say, "Oofta."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is one of the most brutal burns ever

Except...

Spoiler

a) it's factually incorrect. The answer to "What do you do with a whore?" is "You pay her". To piss on you, to shit on you, to do the housework, whatever floats your boat. "Fucking" is what lots of people do; "getting paid" is what whores do.

b) the victim is not in the figurative burns unit licking his wounds. He's doing blow and sixteen year-olds.

This Is Spinal Tap will ring in the New Year on TCM

A shame that Chris Jericho might be too busy with other things to use a Spinal Tap tribute gimmick in 2024 where he uses a Clawhold called "Smell the Glove" as his finisher.