DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/1 - 11/7/2023 - To Beat The Devil

Dolfan in NYC

48 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It was nice that Billy got to have his kids run into his fists for his 60th birthday.

I was reminded that, as the late great DEAN~! would always point out, Billy has one of the best worked punches in wrestling.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Log said:

I was feeling guilty on the way home for keeping him up so late on a school night. We didn't get home until almost midnight. But, on our way home, he said, "That was like the best day I've ever had!" It made me realize that one day at school being a little tired is nothing compared to seeing something he may remember fondly for the rest of his life.

Pro Wrestling rules, school drools. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

It was nice that Billy got to have his kids run into his fists for his 60th birthday.

They also did some fun stuff after the Rampage taping where The Acclaimed was having the crowd sing "Happy Birthday" to Billy, but the Gunns came out to interrupt and got beat up for their trouble.

• Like 3

I felt bad for @Just Dave's neighborhood when the Bucks lost the belts.  Like he's out there celebrating, flipping cars, throwing trash cans through windows, setting shit on fire...

Will Claudio possibly gaining begrudging respect for OC, being a little bewildered about Mox's beatdown, and hesitant to get into it, become something?

@Log yeah man, those times where your kid is like "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS THE BEST EVER THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU" are few and far between, especially with the workload and overall hellscape that parental life can be, but are so incredibly worth it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Log said:

They also did some fun stuff after the Rampage taping where The Acclaimed was having the crowd sing "Happy Birthday" to Billy, but the Gunns came out to interrupt and got beat up for their trouble.

Ok this is the last we talk about Billy's birthday and the Ass Boys but...

• Like 5

May I vent for a moment?

You know, there's probably plenty of valid criticisms to make about this show (even though again, I thought it was a good one, but I see I'm in the minority there, which is cool by me) - but i'm pretty irritated watching Alvarez and Sempervieve talk about "Why would MJF *suddenly* team with the Acclaimed without explanation?" - it's like they entirely missed the fact that the story was they were his last resort, and there was a show-long angle about it.

Again, probably plenty of legit things one could take issue with on this show (which I would of course be willing to entertain, and I think we've had a couple good conversations here about it so far) but shit like that really annoys me - perfect example of why nothing in wrestling can ever be subtle, it's always gotta be a beating-over-the-head with story beats. Nothing can breathe or just be a little moment, lest someone like these guys miss it entirely. Its obviously a tiny sample size but something like that almost, in a way, proves WWE's hand-holding, constant-replay mentality right

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

May I vent for a moment?

You know, there's probably plenty of valid criticisms to make about this show (even though again, I thought it was a good one, but I see I'm in the minority there, which is cool by me) - but i'm pretty irritated watching Alvarez and Sempervieve talk about "Why would MJF *suddenly* team with the Acclaimed without explanation?" - it's like they entirely missed the fact that the story was they were his last resort, and there was a show-long angle about it.

Billy and The Acclaimed have had a long standing feud with the Ass Boys. 

Why would they pass on an opportunity to team with MJF and kick the shit out of their hated rivals?  Getting their hands on Switchblade and Juice would just be a bonus.

Plus it is good character development for MJF.  He's now got a grand total of four friends instead of just the one..... which could fuel a jealousy angle and a heel turn for Cole when he returns to action.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Plus it is good character development for MJF.  He's now got a grand total of four friends instead of just the one..... which could fuel a jealousy angle and a heel turn for Cole when he returns to action.

Thank you!!! These guys were going off about how 'out of character' it was for MJF without realizing it was a development/evolution of what he's been doing ever since teaming with Cole, and becoming a defacto (and then full-blown) babyface.

And truthfully, it probably wouldn't bother me so much if folks like them didn't hold so much influence/sway - I can handle a bad take, but what I can't handle is 100,000 kids on reddit repeating that take like it's the fucking gospel.

And to be clear I usually like those guys/their show - but they were just *so* far off base on this one that I almost can't comprehend it. I feel like a high school teacher going, "So, did you *do* last night's reading, or..."

• Like 4

Are they just being intentionally obtuse for clicks? It’s a classic wrestling trope/story arc (which we know MJF loves) that those guys have seen 1000 times in their lives.

Not to mention that his issue with The Acclaimed was Caster’s obsession, not whether he could actually trust them or not. They were the only team who genuinely wanted to help him with no strings, and in the end, he went with the team that has the one person other than Adam Cole who likes MJF.

• Like 1

I felt like they burnt through a lot of beats in that story in one episode of TV either in a very rushed fashion or for a very underwhelming response

- The Acclaimed coming out first, followed by MJF in the pink trunks felt rushed in the context of it being put together the segment earlier. Felt there was more to be gained out of MJF going four on one out of necessity (and a nice callback to his constant mentioning of not being a stupid babyface) only for the Acclaimed to run in mid match. You could have saved the pink trunks for the next time they had to team up together.

- MJF reluctantly scissoring should have got a bigger pop than it did and could have been saved for next show rather than awkwardly rushed in before they went off air. Billy Gunn taking exception to Max's treatment of Caster was a great idea but poorly executed when it wasn't mic'd well.

.....it's almost been 25 years since we did this with Rock n Sock and doesn't that make you feel old. 

• Like 1

MJF's booking is one thing AEW has done consistently well this year. At least they have that piece down.

I was ready to hate on everything related to the 6-man titles thing, but Matt Jackson actually saved it by reverting into a whiny baby. He was completely right about all the plot holes the last couple of months, but rattled them off in such a catty way he basically turned the team heel instantly. Bucks vs. Jets at Full Gear is way better than them vs. Ricky and Bill.

• Like 2

Obviously, Vikingo vs Komander vs Penta was going to have some spectacular and creative spots. But that match had some SPECTACULARLY creative spots. 

Guns vs X Division Legends was fun.

Skye vs Shafir was stiff and nasty.

Garcia vs Trent managed to combine stiff, nasty, AND fun. Effectively.

The giant funny guy on commentary is named Paul, right?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Obviously, Vikingo vs Komander vs Penta was going to have some spectacular and creative spots. But that match had some SPECTACULARLY creative spots. 

Guns vs X Division Legends was fun.

Skye vs Shafir was stiff and nasty.

Garcia vs Trent managed to combine stiff, nasty, AND fun. Effectively.

The giant funny guy on commentary is named Paul, right?

Thank you for noticing.

• Haha 5

If you had told me at the beginning of the year that heel Skye Blue and babyface Marina Shaffir would have one of the better women's matches in AEW this year... I probably would've believed you because that kind of stuff happens in AEW, but it was still nice to see. Is there anyone even close to Skye for most improved this year?

I also like the totally off-the-wall possible love story with Angelo and Ruby.

Paul Wight was great on commentary all night.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I felt bad for @Just Dave's neighborhood when the Bucks lost the belts.  Like he's out there celebrating, flipping cars, throwing trash cans through windows, setting shit on fire...

Will Claudio possibly gaining begrudging respect for OC, being a little bewildered about Mox's beatdown, and hesitant to get into it, become something?

@Log yeah man, those times where your kid is like "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS THE BEST EVER THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU" are few and far between, especially with the workload and overall hellscape that parental life can be, but are so incredibly worth it.

You know if you're my HOA president you have to say you are, right? I'm pretty sure that's how the law works. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

Billy and The Acclaimed have had a long standing feud with the Ass Boys. 

Why would they pass on an opportunity to team with MJF and kick the shit out of their hated rivals?  Getting their hands on Switchblade and Juice would just be a bonus.

It feeds in too how a lot of the MJF/Cole story was MJF not knowing what to do with having a friend and that letting people in is a real challenge for him. He put his pride aside for a second to accept help that he desperately needed. It's character growth for him and says a little bit about The Acclaimed too. Bowens and Billy didn't want Caster helping out MJF but they're a tight crew so are gonna back up Caster.... because that's what good guys do.

When AEW is really clicking it's because the babyfaces feel like faces, guys you want to root for because they're complicated and have their struggles but find support and face their own bullshit and grow from it (SEE: Hangman).

And this is why.... Everyone Loves The Acclaimed

• Like 6