DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

18 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Now that the bloom is off the rose of AEW, they have to figure out how to get it back. It's not something Adam Copeland feuding with Christan Cage is going to be able to fix. 

Tony Khan's failure to manage the CM Punk/Elite situation caused irreparable damage to the company. 

A few thoughts:

Every wrestling promotion runs hot/cold. One of the things with wrestling is there is no off-season or real opportunity to reset. It just kind of goes forever. So the hurt is going to keep on hurting. I don't see a short term answer for attendance issues other than run smaller venues.

In theory, wrestling promotions run a business model similar to a band like phish. Fans will have no problem going to see multiple shows on consecutive nights or multiple times a year because the shows are different every time and that's where the party is at. When AEW first started, there was definitely a place to be (no pun intended) vibe which is gone. Now they're like any other touring act. If someone has seen them once, for whatever reason, they're not shelling out to see them again. If you're catering to a niche and you've lost the repeat attendees, you're going to have attendance problems.  

I don't largely blame TK for the Punk/Elite mess. He is still a young promoter/owner of a promotion. This was his first experience dealing with a wildcard like Punk and I'm sure he learned a lot and will approach some of these situations differently in the future. Punks AEW existence was a dark cloud over the promotion and it feels like a weight has been lifted now that he is gone. 

Lack of strong angles have really done a number. In the beginning, you can't believe that quality of matches you are getting on a weekly basis. But over time, there is no reason to stay tuned in. The matches will be there next time too and if you missed a standout match you just catch it somewhere else.  

I'm looking forward to Edge in the company because I think it reshuffles a lot of things. 

• Like 2

No offense meant to Nick Hausman, but an issue I have with his report:

https://www.hausofwrestling.com/2023/10/10/triple-h-shawn-michaels-look-to-send-tony-khan-a-message-exclusive/

It also sounds as if there are lingering tensions from the infamous Wednesday Night War, with the idea that Tony Khan could have run Dynamite on Thursdays and the two would never have gone head-to-head. With Levesque now squarely back in control of WWE creative and Michaels taking pride in being the best, it was said Khan “poked the wrong ones at the wrong time.” The fact this is all happening on Khan’s 41st birthday was also pointed out to me, with it sounding like WWE NXT is fine spoiling his party.

This is very confusing. Can someone help me out there? I even looked this up. AEW announced their programming slot as Wednesday nights at 8:00 pm on TNT first. After all that was set, WWE announced that NXT was making the move to cable and would air on Wednesday nights in the same timeslot as AEW. 

So I don't get this thinking or reporting at all. Technically, AEW picked their timeslot first, and WWE clearly put NXT there to mess with them. Also, Impact ended up moving to Thursdays anyway. I realize its Impact and all, but AEW probably didn't want to air on the same night either. So what's this moving to Thursday's nonsense? AEW had the slot first and then it was NXT. Or am I misremembering all of this? 

Just seems to be a weird thing to mention in the report. 

EDIT:

Also before this, NXT was WWE Network only and taped multiple episodes. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

https://www.hausofwrestling.com/2023/10/10/triple-h-shawn-michaels-look-to-send-tony-khan-a-message-exclusive/

This is very confusing. Can someone help me out there? I even looked this up. AEW announced their programming slot as Wednesday nights at 8:00 pm on TNT first. After all that was set, WWE announced that NXT was making the move to cable and would air on Wednesday nights in the same timeslot as AEW. 

So I don't get this thinking or reporting at all. Technically, AEW picked their timeslot first, and WWE clearly put NXT there to mess with them. Also, Impact ended up moving to Thursdays anyway. I realize its Impact and all, but AEW probably didn't want to air on the same night either. So what's this moving to Thursday's nonsense? AEW had the slot first and then it was NXT. Or am I misremembering all of this? 

EDIT:

You're correct in your rememberings.  No idea what this goof is going on about.  Then again, this kid is only in the spotlight now because he's got Punk's arm up his ass.

• Like 1

I guess because NXT had its taped episodes streaming at 8:00 pm on Wednesday nights originally? But I mean that was WWE Network only. All we heard about back then was how much money NXT was losing before the USA move. They hardly *owned* Wednesdays.

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The only thing I can think of is that Nick is uncritically reporting a revisionist WWE take on the Wednesday Night Wars, by the writing it's unclear whose opinion that is. Or he's bad at his job

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

The only thing I can think of is that Nick is uncritically reporting a revisionist WWE take on the Wednesday Night Wars, by the writing it's unclear whose opinion that is. Or he's bad at his job

why-not-both-why-not.gif

I'm laughing at the term "INFAMOUS Wednesday night wars~!"  If it's infamous for NXT losing almost every week, resulting in HHH getting demoted and NXT being taken over and turned into a technicolor cartoon Vince fantasy, then yes, quite infamous.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

EDIT:

NXT chose the time slot they were already using for the network. It had always been on Wednesdays at that point. People tend to pretend otherwise or maybe didn't realize because they weren't watching the day of. I can see how from WWE's perspective AEW choosing Wednesdays was them fucking with WWE. 

Granted, WWE NXT new episodes were premiering on Wednesday nights...but...those are one-hour shows airing on tape delay on a premium subscription service versus live primetime cable.  Wasn't exactly destination programming, so let's not act like NXT OWNED that timeslot either.

Even with that to say AEW going on Wednesday nights live every week at 8:00 pm and saying that was done to hurt or challenge NXT, just seems like CM Punk getting worked up over nonsense that no one else gave a crap about except him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Every time TK posts some dumb shit online I think "Ah, kids and their social media" and then I remember we're the same age

But what about when he posts not dumb but hilarious and spot on tweets like 'Bald Asshole' and about the 'least of (Vince McMahon's alleged misdeeds'!?! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1