DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

A Vince McMahon biopic that would be anything less than what the Wolf of Wall Street was would be a waste of time.

And let's be real...While Succession was pretty much about what was going on with WWE now, there's a lot in Wolf of Wall Street that makes me think "this is what the WWF was like in the 80s."

• Like 2

Dave Meltzer on CM Punk:

WWE has decided against bringing back CM Punk. 

Punk's intention to return to the company was reported in the latest edition of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, with sources from his camp stating the two sides were in talks. Dave Meltzer provided an update on the situation during a special Tuesday night edition of Wrestling Observer Radio. 

"They turned him down," Meltzer said. 

"The decision was a no. He wanted to go there and the decision was a no. I mean, it can always change and it was brought up to me that there is no such thing as no forever when it comes to WWE but it's no for now."

"It's Vince's decision. Vince, Nick Khan, Paul Levesque and, obviously, they decided that the negatives outweighed the positives."

"About 10 months ago, they were talking again at that point but he was still under contract to AEW and I was told that that would be a no," Meltzer said. "But it's easy to say it's a no because there's no chance they could get him because of the contract. But this time they could, and they decided to pass."

---

Something that WWE has turned CM Punk down as of right now, that he's not worth the hassle.

• Haha 7

44 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Everything I've heard about this makes it seem like it's going to be a complete whitewashing of them all. Just a normal happy family with a lot of bad luck.

I don't know about that. The trailer doesn't give "happy family" vibes at all.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Craig H said:

A Vince McMahon biopic that would be anything less than what the Wolf of Wall Street was would be a waste of time.

And let's be real...While Succession was pretty much about what was going on with WWE now, there's a lot in Wolf of Wall Street that makes me think "this is what the WWF was like in the 80s."

Wolf of Wall Street seems to be too out there for WWF especially with Vince's story spanning several decades.

It's going to be Patton meets The Hudsucker Proxy with a slight touch of Being There.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Greatly amused at 

Reveal hidden contents

Chavo Jr playing the Original Sheik when Sabu is/was right there looking like a dead ringer for the man. Old, grizzled and scarred to shreds.

If it's a bit role, they usually don't put a lot of time and effort. Also, I am guessing Chavo might have played a hand in help training the lead actors so he probably got his pick on what he wanted to play.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Ernest the Cat Miller would have been a solid pick for Arman Hussain if they decided to include guys that were around World Class that people usually forget

then again, we saw that role when Ernest Miller was in The Wrestler

1982 World Class with Arman Hussain with the camel ritual and Bugsy McGraw...just a chore to watch. 

as for CM Punk... wonder if they could put together a reality show of people trying to make it through a wrestling school who have to be judged and critiqued by CM Punk. Like would they be able to film enough episodes before Punk "departs" the show and his scenes have to be refilmed

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

guessing they wouldn't need a scene of "man our promotion sucks, let's fire it up with the Freebirds"

I mean the upside is you get to Dallas before the kids got the territory super hot so it's a lot of Al Madril or older Jose Lothario. Downside: The Great Kabuki and The Magic Dragon.

I found a CageMatch listing of an 8 man tag from 1977 that had Fritz teaming with Scott Casey, Jimmy Snuka, and Gino Hernandez. So I guess the "guy who used to be a babyface teaming with Fritz" part of Gino is a "if you know, you know" part of Gino feuding with the Von Erichs later.

Another thing I alluded to on the WWE Network thread an hour or so ago in regards to Midnight Express vs Fantastics from Clash 1 is.. what a chaotic sprint. Like the referee had no control over things for most of the match and every time he didn't have his eyes on the action, there was cheating. Chairs and Tables within the bounds of a 1988 universe. I don't think you could quickly bring back all of the old rules, but the whole "Referee keeps allowing the heels to cheat behind his back" thing could easily happen and maybe get some people heated.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Greatly amused at 

Hide contents

Chavo Jr playing the Original Sheik when Sabu is/was right there looking like a dead ringer for the man. Old, grizzled and scarred to shreds.

Isn't Sabu wheelchair bound?

On 10/10/2023 at 5:58 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

It would be the same one Cena and Samoa Joe are on given it was mostly featuring UPW talent under Rick Bassman. It was Discovery's Inside Pro Wrestling School.

I'm in the background of some shots of that, since I was UPW's lighting operator at the time.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Greatly amused at 

Hide contents

Lives in the area and previously worked on GLOW so he has experience (also appeared on Red Shoe Diaries back in 96) 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No, he was Adam Cole's enforcer during Cole's feud with Chris Jericho and chased off the JAS, IIRC. 

Ah, I saw none of that so I kind of forgot it happened when reading posts here. The last time I saw pics or vid of him he was in a wheelchair. Glad he is doing better.

On 10/8/2023 at 3:32 PM, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

Worst Wrestler: Ricky Starks, I’m kidding. The worst to me would be Brian Cage of guys that get a fair amount of tv time in a major promotion 

I can't imagine Daddy Ass not being the worst wrestler on TV right now who gets a fair amount of TV time. Cage has been fine as Swerves muscle, teaming with Big Bill and having Hoss matches with Sharff and Willie Mack (not that I'm pulling for him to get a big singles run or anything)