DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/26/2023 - Let's Go To Denny's!

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You think Dark Order might get the belts tonight? It feels like a possibility. They've been given more time and a heel turn, might be a good moment to switch it up, give Acclaimed someone to legit feud with instead of a revolving door of people to trash on the mic and beat.

I wish but probably not, since, as mentioned, they just had new belts made.  The Acclaimed with Billy Gunn feels like Jurassic Express with Marko Stunt...a decent team with an extraneous and gimmicky third member that nobody really cares too much about.  I saw enough Billy Gunn a quarter century ago.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I just put this on the discord but will mention here for visibility sake: if anyone else is currently driving in, definitely avoid Manhattan - there's something going on at the UN

It's the UN General Assembly.   Basically world leaders come in to yell at each other and cause traffic for hours on end.   But yes, avoid Manhattan.  

That's "in general", we don't want you driving in our city.    Take mass transit. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's the UN General Assembly.   Basically world leaders come in to yell at each other and cause traffic for hours on end.   But yes, avoid Manhattan.  

That's "in general", we don't want you driving in our city.    Take mass transit. 

I got to moon Reagan in '85 or '86 when his motorcade was going down East River Drive after speaking there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The last two years people were waiting 3-4 hours for trains and we made it home in about an hour 15, so driving is definitely the move for where we live - I actively avoid driving through Manhattan whenever possible, I just saw the signs on the parkway and thought I'd share for anyone who has no choice. Are you in the house tonight??

3 minutes ago, ka-to said:

I looked at tickets yesterday. My question to people going is how can you pay $250 or $500 for tickets and not hate the company for robbing you?

I think the drop in attendance kinda reflects the ticket price increase since the first one. We have pretty decent but not crazy seats and they've about doubled since year one

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

12 minutes ago, ka-to said:

I looked at tickets yesterday. My question to people going is how can you pay $250 or $500 for tickets and not hate the company for robbing you?

These prices are outrageous. That doesn’t explain everything about the drop but it absolutely hurt attendance here. They are not a red hot product. 

• Eddie Kingston told SI FanNation what winning the ROH World Championship would mean to him: “If Ring of Honor never took off in the early 2000s, there would probably never be AEW. Ring of Honor wanted to be different. A lot of AEW guys wrestled for Ring of Honor, too. My mentor Homicide was the world champion. Xavier was the world champ. Low Ki was the first-ever champ. Those are all New Yorkers. The belt belongs with a New Yorker.”
  • Like 3

One of my moots got double dipped on tickets. Bought a cheaper pair of tickets (like $300 each iirc) early on in the on-sale, and then bought another pair, closer to the ring and with better sight lines for less ($150-ish?) after the price drops. But she basically has to eat the price of the first pair because they got no attention on resale markets.

When Kawada tells you that you should do the power bomb for your finish, not only do you do it but win a world title with it.  You love to see it. 🥹

man tonight was drop on your head night.  Moxley needs to be on vacation for many months whether he wants to or not.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

things I remember from this episode of AEW Dynamite

Not sure if "I hit you, you hit me" works great for what Cesaro/Kingston was built to be. Some of Cesaro's strikes didn't look great and they spent a bit of time standing in front of each other for a grudge match. But Eddie's the champ now and there was a handshake

Roderick Strong has the look of a guy scamming workers comp

The chops at the beginning of Jericho/Sammy seemed to be louder than the strikes in Kingston/Claudio. Then they did a pose comedy spot. And Sammy missed a kick while on the apron. Then Jericho won but Sammy left with Don Callis. Callis prevents a fight with Sammy and Garcia, last thing AEW needs is a backstage fight.

Jon Moxley shoving Fenix down while Fenix walked the rail was funny. Then Moxley got spiked and might have a concussion and he might have accidentally dropped the International title. It being Moxley, he'll work next week somehow.

Kissing your opponent was a more potent finish for Adrian Street vs Terry Taylor than for Toni Storm vs Saraya. The finish was a bit weird since Toni didn't actually hit the exposed buckle to set up the finish. Maybe having 2 title changes was a hint that they weren't putting the belt on Toni tonight.

The camera angle as MJF rammed Joe's head into the corner made it look like Joe was ramming his head into the buckle because you couldn't see MJF for a moment. Gnarly drop on the apron. Teasing an injury angle mid-match because Moxley would have wanted it that way. I checked the guide at 8:58 and realized this show was ending at 9:05 instead of 9. Nice of Adam Cole to show up in a timely fashion. MJF wins with the tape sleeper and needs his buddy to help keep the evidence away from the ref. Our hero! Are we doing handshakes after every match. Is this the Code of Honor? A handshake after being choked out by tape? Boy if Joe rewatches that finish. 

• Like 3

I loved this show but all I really want to talk about is how fucking useless and incompetent [RICK KNOX] and Rey Fenix are--[KNOX] for not counting three when the guy stays down, Fenix for whom "thinking on your feet" is picking up the guy you just rendered unconscious for real and dropping him on his fucking head again. Hopefully, at the very least, he drops the title next week (maybe back to Orange!!). 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
[EDIT]
  • Like 4