DVDVR Message Board

WrestleDream - 10/1/2023

Dolfan in NYC

The WARMASTER Josh Barnett vs Claudio added to the Zero Hour along with Nick Wayne vs. Luchasaurus

plus an interesting 8 person tag of Shane Taylor/Lee Moriarty/Mercedes Martinez/Diamante vs. Keith Lee/Satoshi Kojima/Athena/Billie Starkz

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, username said:

So I need help on that 8 person tag, I don't watch ROH but I keep tabs of what's generally going on there and... that's a funky face/heel mix, right?

I think it's just Athena's been kind of a tweener because of her association with face Billie, but yeah last PPV she was heel teaming with Mercedes & Diamante.

Switchblade Jay White, Juice Robinson, Jim Ross and Josh Barnett, all in the same place at the same time? That's a recipe for magic! 

So other than Paul Wight vs jobbers, has the smaller side ever won a handicap match in AEW? I can't think of any examples, but then the only AEW handicap match I can think of at all right this moment is Darby Allin vs The Men of the Year back in early days.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

So other than Paul Wight vs jobbers, has the smaller side ever won a handicap match in AEW? I can't think of any examples, but then the only AEW handicap match I can think of at all right this moment is Darby Allin vs The Men of the Year back in early days.

Wardlow beating 20 Plaintiffs is the 1st that comes to mind. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Wardlow beating 20 Plaintiffs is the 1st that comes to mind. 

Yeah, I should have thought of that one. Although I'm more interested in cases where the larger team was composed of "name" wrestlers, even if they're clearly lower in the pecking order than the smaller side.

But I did some Googling, and it seems AEW has had like a dozen handicap matches, and that Darby Allin one may be the only time the lone wrestler has lost. Disappointing. I was all prepared to praise AEW for its disciplined booking in this respect, but not so much I guess.

(And to be fair the lion's share of those matches were "monster versus multiple jobbers" matches, where of course the monster is going to win. But apparently Big Swole has beaten Britt Baker, Penelope Ford, and Rebel; Kris Statlander has beaten Jamie Hayter and Rebel; and Swerve Strickland has beaten Mark Sterling and Tony Nese. I have no recollection of any of those matches.)

Dug the go home week of TV. Exceptional job on the promos - see Christian, Darby, Swerve, Hangman, etc. Love this card. Thrilled for Cage v Allin, King v Shibata, and especially ZSJ v Danielson and the Aussies v FTR. Jericho/Golden Lovers v Callis Family, Starks v Yuta and the 4 way tag all have way high potential. Stat v Julia could be good. The Zero Hour is a weird and interesting mix - I'm into it. All that said, this will be yet another lengthy PPV best served to me in multiple parts on glorious Monday morning tape delay! There'll be no complaining of exhaustion here.

9 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Gonna watch tonight, but 14 matches including the pre-show and only a *single* women's match is fucking shameful. 

The problem is that they've exhausted every combination of Shida/Britt vs the Outcasts and have built literally nothing else. Skye Blue still has no character. Willow is super directionless. Anna Jay and Nyla just show up randomly. Taya has fallen off the face of the earth. Everyone else is MIA or a jobber

• Like 2

2 women's matches. I know the weird mixed 8 person tag is real odd, but you can't discount that match when it gets 4 women on the card.

14 matches is too many matches. It's the opposite of less is more booking. It sucks having to go out as the 14th match and trying to keep a tired audience engaged. It's hard to complain you're being given too much, especially when AEW PPVs always deliver so much quality. But I'd much prefer the card cut down to like 10. 2 pre show, 8 main show. Even that is a lot. But it strikes a better balance than doing 2.5 weeks of Dynamite in one night.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not counting the mixed tag and you can absolutely discount it seeing as it makes zero sense overall. There's a good few matches on the main card that could be better off as a main event on Dynamite - Hangman/Swerve and Yuta/Starks will undoubtedly be good matches but either could easily be replaced with a women's match. Hell, they haven't even fully fleshed out the dissolution of The Outcasts, maybe follow up on that storyline?

It's a huge bummer that TK and crew are so tone deaf when it comes to the women's division. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elizium said:

The problem is that they've exhausted every combination of Shida/Britt vs the Outcasts and have built literally nothing else. Skye Blue still has no character. Willow is super directionless. Anna Jay and Nyla just show up randomly. Taya has fallen off the face of the earth. Everyone else is MIA or a jobber

May be an image of 2 people, television and text that says '|WATCH WRESTLING FOR THE STORYTELLING'

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Put Skye in Bullet Club Gold, pair her with Joliet Juice, and make them the King and Queen of the Chicago market. 

I'm a big advocate of mixed factions so yeah, gimme her and Toni in BCG and I'm stoked. 

Alrighty, I downloaded the Bleacher Report app this morning and just bought the PPV, starting out with the super random 8-person match. Gonna be up late now I’m on eastern time again.

12 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Alrighty, I downloaded the Bleacher Report app this morning and just bought the PPV, starting out with the super random 8-person match. Gonna be up late now I’m on eastern time again.

I'm glad I don't have work tomorrow. It's going to be a late night. 

• Like 1

Tony's turning into a bigger starfucker than Dixie.  It's been talked about, but what's the fucking upside with getting Edge?  A 44 year old with a bad neck that can work 5 times a year?  Finish a program 10 years past it's sell by?

• Like 2