DVDVR Message Board

WrestleDream - 10/1/2023

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I will never pay $50 for a PPV again considering how easy it is to turn on Nord on my phone, order from Fite for $20, and have Fite work a million times better than BR. 

Is it that easy?

My days of sneaking in liquor are (hopefully) over, but me and friends with bags especially had a ball at the old Art Theater. One time a buddy had a GIANT bottle of wine we were taking pulls off of, I think that was for The Cabin in the Woods. The legendary night though was sitting two rows from the front with two friends of mine and a full case of Old Style that they snuck in when we went to watch There Will Be Blood after it just came out. The floor was like a descending ramp so we'd finish the beers and just drop the empties and let them roll down under the seats to the screen. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

My days of sneaking in liquor are (hopefully) over, but me and friends with bags especially had a ball at the old Art Theater. One time a buddy had a GIANT bottle of wine we were taking pulls off of, I think that was for The Cabin in the Woods. The legendary night though was sitting two rows from the front with two friends of mine and a full case of Old Style that they snuck in when we went to watch There Will Be Blood after it just came out. The floor was like a descending ramp so we'd finish the beers and just drop the empties and let them roll down under the seats to the screen. 

I was just fixing to tell about the time my friend and I snuck 40s into a movie and when he was finished he accidentally dropped it and it bounced/rolled all the way to the front while we desperately tried to stifle laughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

So is this the start of the 12 PPV's a year rumor because isn't Full Gear still in November?

Pretty close to already being there. Counting AEW & ROH together the 2023 has 10 PPVs. Since May there's been one a month. Jan & April were only months without one this year.

-Revolution was in Feb
-Supercard of Honor was March
-Double or Nothing was in May
-Forbidden Door was in June
-Death Before Dishonor was in July
-All In was in Aug
-All Out was in Sep
-WrestleDream is in Oct
-Full gear is in Nov
-Final Battle is in Dec

• Sad 2

37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

My favorite was bringing a flask of vodka, rum, or some other spiritous beverage and pouring it into one of those jumbo sized red flavored slurpees (you give the flavor of those by the color and not whatever the actual flavor is supposed to be) and basically having your own discount margarita. I think the best experience was doing this when going to see Snakes on a Plane after my lady friend and I had partook in a lot of the green gimmick beforehand.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

My favorite was bringing a flask of vodka, rum, or some other spiritous beverage and pouring it into one of those jumbo sized red flavored slurpees (you give the flavor of those by the color and not whatever the actual flavor is supposed to be) and basically having your own discount margarita. I think the best experience was doing this when going to see Snakes on a Plane after my lady friend and I had partook in a lot of the green gimmick beforehand.

I remember seeing The Omen (2006) with a group of friends and passing a bottle of Southern Comfort between us. Being a recovering cokehead, I've snuck Mr. White into the movies with me many times. Most times, I'd bring a cd case in with me or sometimes I'd blow lines off the arm rests in the theatre. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shit, I was always paranoid drinking in the theater, there's no way I could do coke in one. Well, my friends ran the Art by the end of its run, but still. Don't think I ever smoked in the theater either. Before, sure. One of the last times I went with a group a buddy of mine had ate a candy edible and he basically passed out in the middle of the movie, then kind of attacked one of our friends next to him? Like he was rambling something and pushed him or something. He woke up after the movie and didn't remember it at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eight matches is a pretty full card. We'll see what they add to the pre-show but, I don't see too much more being added to the main card at this point.

• Danielson vs ZSJ: Sabre's a much more complete wrestler than he was when they last faced. On the idea that they probably only get one shot at this, they'll still go all out. Danielson seems to still be protecting himself (thus the spider-superplex on Collision) but if this is mat based, there shouldn't be a huge risk there. Feels a little challenging to main event a show like this with something mat heavy but the crowd should be game. The build feels a little one-sided with ZSJ flinging insults that end up on NJPW's twitter account or something, but they're good insults at least. 
  • Statlander vs Hart: Hart has to believably chop down Stat. Maybe hit the mist early and have Stat blinded throughout the entirety of the match. That's a big ask for her. Easier is working one of those braced up legs but that's a bigger ask for Hart who I don't think I've ever seen really work over a limb. Should be interesting however they tackle it.
  • FTR vs Aussie Open: Dax calling out how much Aussie Open had been jobbing lately wasn't great. There was no reason for them to lose to Jericho/Sammy given the overall storyline there. You know it probably has Dax fuming. I thought their first match was hurt a bit by the setting which made it more maximalist than it could have been. Ideally FTR are reining in Aussio Open and giving this form and making the most of their many positives. I expect both teams to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder but hopefully that translates into quality and not chaos.
  • Kingston vs Shibata: Shibata has been very grounded and working the Pure style for the most part. A lot of torturing people. A lot of shutting them down. This will be very different. Eddie's got some aches and pains but he has every reason to deliver here. He's defending both belts in a show dedicated to Inoki against Shibata. He's going to leave it all out there. Hopefully it's not a lot of chopping without consequence. 
  • Cole/MJF vs Righteous: They're sure milking the build to the Kingdom match, huh? I don't mind the Righteous or anything but any of the other teams in the 4 way (including the Hardys! I said it) would have been more interesting than them. Hopefully Cole's fully well. They just did the "Run from the back" bit with these two so they can't do that again. It's a match on a card to get these guys on a card. It's the Righteous only chance to step up though so we'll see what they do. I'm not sure anything could matter really. 
  • 4 way tag: This will stink. 
  • Christian vs Darby: 2/3 falls. Weirdly, this would probably get more time as the main event of a Collision. I almost hope they run it back as 3/5 falls. It'll be great though. Darby has to win at some point but probably not yet. Christian has such a great act. Granted, you can have him take the FTW belt next and that would be amazing too.
  • Swerve vs Hangman: For everyone's sake, I'm probably not going to watch this thing. I will watch the gifs of Nana dancing. Page needs the win less than Swerve does but it's set up that if Swerve wins everything he says is sort of true. Even though I don't want to see the match because of how both guys wrestle, it's a good feud on paper and they should build it bigger to Full Gear with a gimmick match.

Plenty of ways they can go on the pre-show. It'd be nice to do an Athena/Billie Starkz tag though (maybe against Mercedes/Diamante?). 

• Like 3

I’d imagine Brody causes distractions for Julia’s cutoffs so she can take control until one of the Best Friends neutralizes him and Stat does her comeback. Maybe Brody accidentally gets the mist and then Stat hits Sunday Night Fever. With a heater at ringside stuff like that doesn’t seem too tricky to lay out. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I’d imagine Brody causes distractions for Julia’s cutoffs so she can take control until one of the Best Friends neutralizes him and Stat does her comeback. Maybe Brody accidentally gets the mist and then Stat hits Sunday Night Fever. With a heater at ringside stuff like that doesn’t seem too tricky to lay out. 

I was hoping we would get an OC/Stat v Brody/Julia tag at some point in the build to WD, but OC's been busy with the Hook stuff. Maybe we get one with Chuck or Trent at some point (but we're cutting it close at a week out). That'd be good for the go home Collision

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Hart who I don't think I've ever seen really work over a limb

Jeez, it's about time for her to learn then don't you think?! (P.S. You know we aren't getting a second women's match so it's pointless to speculate)

With this being a tribute to Inoki I thought they would at least have more than one Japanese wrestler on the card. I mean we joked about Different Style matches and whatnot but this is just a straight, normal-ass AEW card, nothing special about it. What's the point?

• Like 1

Julia worked Stat on Dark during her eye patch phase, and it wasn’t pretty. Really one of the issues with the less experienced women on the roster is that they haven’t learned how to work with rangy opponents, so they have trouble hitting stuff clean on the Stats and the Jades of the division. 

Until this week I can’t recall ever seeing a Julia Hart match. I must’ve, but they obviously weren’t memorable.

Thats not a knock. I think she’s got the most defined character of any woman in the company, with the exception of Jade and recently Toni Storm, but she hasn’t been featured much.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Julia worked Stat on Dark during her eye patch phase, and it wasn’t pretty. Really one of the issues with the less experienced women on the roster is that they haven’t learned how to work with rangy opponents, so they have trouble hitting stuff clean on the Stats and the Jades of the division. 

Have you ever wrestled with an eye patch??? Lol

Julia has improved so much since then...looking forward to seeing her and Stat this Sunday.

• Like 4

I might have to watch this on replays. Having a very hard time watching wrestling in general these last two weeks, nothing to do with the product/stuffing but I'm good for a month or two like this every year. But I'll still do a prognost

Swerve over Page is a very important result. Is it a knee-jerk, push-a-black-talent-after-Jade-leaves kinda move? Yes. But it's a move they should have already been making. Ricky Starks was your previous can't-buy-a-win upper midcard charisma dude who wasn't breaking through (until he was) and from my vantage point, he's a Cody Guy who just lost his 50/50 match with Danielson and is rocking those sames odds in regards to his end-of-the-year contract status. Swerve over Page. Swerve over Fenix. Nana The Meme is the sizzle (which he's been since at least Jimmy Rave), Swerve is the steak. Finish the Keith Lee story as a first defense, and if Lee isn't physically up to a mat classic it then smoke-and-mirrors it with CZW/Lucha Underground Swerve bumping through lighttubes before stealing one.

Turn Page tweener. Get him back on the sauce (this is why we liked him in the first place, see Austin, Steve + Man, Sand). Page worked as a top babyface the same reason MJF works at a top babyface. He embodies uniquely millennial traits that aren't otherwise seen in wrestling, i.e. modern anxiety and doubt. MJF turned face offa confessing his ADD rejection-sensitivity anguish. They're two sides of the same coin. Work the Page goss about rejecting veteran advice and going off-script a few times and see if it can garner some boos, because Pure Face Page and Entire Heel MJF isn't it. But work towards that MJF vs. Page feud and see if it doesn't take.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I might have to watch this on replays. Having a very hard time watching wrestling in general these last two weeks, nothing to do with the product/stuffing but I'm good for a month or two like this every year. But I'll still do a prognost

Swerve over Page is a very important result. Is it a knee-jerk, push-a-black-talent-after-Jade-leaves kinda move? Yes. But it's a move they should have already been making. Ricky Starks was your previous can't-buy-a-win upper midcard charisma dude who wasn't breaking through (until he was) and from my vantage point, he's a Cody Guy who just lost his 50/50 match with Danielson and is rocking those sames odds in regards to his end-of-the-year contract status. Swerve over Page. Swerve over Fenix. Nana The Meme is the sizzle (which he's been since at least Jimmy Rave), Swerve is the steak. Finish the Keith Lee story as a first defense, and if Lee isn't physically up to a mat classic it then smoke-and-mirrors it with CZW/Lucha Underground Swerve bumping through lighttubes before stealing one.

Turn Page tweener. Get him back on the sauce (this is why we liked him in the first place, see Austin, Steve + Man, Sand). Page worked as a top babyface the same reason MJF works at a top babyface. He embodies uniquely millennial traits that aren't otherwise seen in wrestling, i.e. modern anxiety and doubt. MJF turned face offa confessing his ADD rejection-sensitivity anguish. They're two sides of the same coin. Work the Page goss about rejecting veteran advice and going off-script a few times and see if it can garner some boos, because Pure Face Page and Entire Heel MJF isn't it. But work towards that MJF vs. Page feud and see if it doesn't take.

I’m lazy as shit, so I always just quote a whole post. Starks & Swerve would be the matchup I’d be building to as the AEW world title match for next summer. Hand Ricky Starks a blank check if that’s what it takes to keep him around. Those are the two most charismatic guys in the company not named Moxley, and could lead the way moving forward.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, zendragon said:

Doing coke and then having to sit for several hours seems horrible 

On Renee's podcast once, Moxley talked about how he used to do bunch of coke and then go to the public library to read. 🫥 📖

• Like 3
  • Haha 1