DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Not sure where this goes 

WWE announces new 5-year U.S. TV deal with NBCU that will return Smackdown to USA Network beginning October 2024.

TKO press release:

"[B]eginning in the 2024/25 season, WWE will produce four primetime specials per year that will air on NBC, marking the first time WWE will air on the network in primetime."

This doesn't seem to indicate a renewal, at least yet, of Raw and NXT.

"WWE Monday Night Raw and WWE NXT will continue to air on USA Network through September 2024."

investor.tkogrp.com/news/news-deta…

From Thurston

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unlocked this topic

Obviously, WWE is going to be happy to collect that 1.4 billion, but I’m really intrigued to see how this move back to cable affects their overall business. I don’t think you can overvalue the impact that network TV’s reach had on fueling the Bloodline boom.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, EVA said:

Obviously, WWE is going to be happy to collect that 1.4 billion, but I’m really intrigued to see how this move back to cable affects their overall business. I don’t think you can undervalue the impact that network TV’s reach had on fueling the Bloodline boom.

Smackdown generally averaged 600k-1 million more viewers weekly.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2023 at 12:00 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Big LA Times piece on VKM's career:

Vince will probably never write a book but I really hope some does a book on him like does one similar to Steve Jobs by Walter Issacson just to hear his deranged perspective on his own life 

MJF was asking to create the perfect wrestler with 3 different wrestling - for look, in ring and promo ability. 

He chose:

HHH (look)

HBK (in ring)

Roddy Piper (promo).

What would your 3 be? Mine would be:

Batista

Bryan Danielson 

Ric Flair

• Like 1

Max is looking at things in two dimensions here. There is a fourth component to consider and that's psychology, which should be considered seperately from in-ring physical ability. There are some people like f.e. Punk (not trying to bang on him, this just came to mind the other day) who I would give a 10 for psychology and a 4 for physical ability. And we all have dozens of examples of workers with great physical ability and no storytelling talent whatsoever. Wrestling isn't checkers, it's chess. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

I kinda view wrestling as 5 tools, Look/In-ring(counting psychology)/Promo/ Charisma & audience connection/ Gimmick or character

going with the first four I would say Austin / Bret Hart / Foley / Dusty 

Yeah I have no problem with this either. It's probably better than what I had in mind really, though I'd still like to separate psychology from physical skill (endurance/stamina/speed/vertical leap/strength/movez knowledge/etc.). So maybe six tools?

EDIT: Ha! Six tools, six chess pieces.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

here's a KC card for ya

kudzp4h.png

a) no not that Christian

b) it being January 1970, Lou Thesz is sort of the heel (the finish had Thesz throw himself over the top rope and get the DQ victory because the ref thought Ladd threw him over). This would be 4 days before Ernie Ladd spent a Sunday on the Chiefs sidelines at Super Bowl IV. Of course the next day in St. Louis, Lou Thesz and Ernie Ladd teamed up in a six man tag because fans were none the wiser. There's multiple Lou Thesz/Ernie Ladd world title matches from 1963/64 in Texas.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Infinit said:

MJF was asking to create the perfect wrestler with 3 different wrestling - for look, in ring and promo ability. 

He chose:

HHH (look)

HBK (in ring)

Roddy Piper (promo).

What would your 3 be? Mine would be:

Batista

Bryan Danielson 

Ric Flair

Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Bryan Danielson.

Mick Foley.

• Like 1

MAJOR EFED HELP NEEDED

Are their any good examples of a highly athletic wrestler turned into a Foley-style monster or along those lines? Adapting a character I have who currently wrestles like peak Shelton Benjamin into a representative of the darkside. 

30 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

MAJOR EFED HELP NEEDED

Are their any good examples of a highly athletic wrestler turned into a Foley-style monster or along those lines? Adapting a character I have who currently wrestles like peak Shelton Benjamin into a representative of the darkside. 

The varsity club is an interesting look there but it was all undertones of cruelty and crazy Kevin Sullivan promos. Wolfie D became Slash but he wasn't exactly an athletic wonder beforehand. Have you ever seen the Satanico promo where he creates Averno and Mephiso?

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2