DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

The majority of Jade's matches this year were closer to the 8-10 minute range so it's not like she was still being kept hidden in squashes, and I thought she looked good and clearly improved in all of them against a wide variety of opponents (Taya, Starkz, Kris, Skye, etc) My personal favs were her matches against Tay and Anna last year, but then I also loved her match with Marina Shafir which was her longest singles to date.

• Like 2

If you want a Matt Riddle type of guy, meaning a former UFC Fighter who goes out there and is just a funny, goofy guy... Tom Lawler is better at that than Matt Riddle is.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

If you want a Matt Riddle type of guy, meaning a former UFC Fighter who goes out there and is just a funny, goofy guy... Tom Lawler is better at that than Matt Riddle is.

I'll never forget when he showed up, in I think it was Barnett's Bloodsport (go figure) doing an imitation of all the fighters with logos on their shorts and he had Trojan or Durex or something on the crotch and Pampers on the ass 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

The majority of Jade's matches this year were closer to the 8-10 minute range so it's not like she was still being kept hidden in squashes, and I thought she looked good and clearly improved in all of them against a wide variety of opponents (Taya, Starkz, Kris, Skye, etc) My personal favs were her matches against Tay and Anna last year, but then I also loved her match with Marina Shafir which was her longest singles to date.

I agree she improved and did very well for what she was given. I'd hardly call her a ring general, but it looked like she could put a match together and knew what to do. Wasn't like she was absolutely clueless and her matches had to be kept short ie Eva Marie.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ziggy said:

TK has always talked about Jades star presence and how she'd turn heads and press events with people outside the company and being a good representative of the company. Regardless of how green she still is they have enough talent and resources to help her come along faster as far as her inring skills. They have some really good women's wrestlers but none of them have her star presence. Unless they get Mercedes they won't have that. Heck I think Trinity has more star presence than anyone they have regardless of how a good number of them are better inring. With talent cuts due to the merger. Who knows who will be available that TK and people in his ear might not want to pass on. If people like Braun and Bray got cut last time. It wouldn't be surprised if Women high up on Card get cut. Unless your Charlotte,Bianca or Becky, It's not telling who'd be available. It's just something about AEWs division that's not clicking with me. I think Lufisto's grips exposed some flaws maybe

AEW has three good stars in their women's division IMO- Shida, Willow, and Hayter.  They're all over as hell, all deliver in ring.

Jade has the potential to be bigger than all three,  but she'll need the ring epics for that.

• Like 1

I say Jade was there biggest potential star but if they do end up with Mercedes Mone then they have a great replacement. The biggest start power they could get plus the workrate that is expected so that's a great trade off. I was hoping we could have gotten Jade vs Mercedes. I think that would've been a competitive match that Jade could've come out of a much better worker, especially if they had a series of matches

• Like 1

I liked Jade for her character work. That said, I always felt compelled to watch her matches with the fairness of her experience level, but that criteria often meant either a FFWD or a skim everytime I watched on tape delay (most often). The way she was protected and featured had a lot to do with her success, but it also made for a lot of 'in action' and bad to middling matches (The Statlander bout was clearly not one of them). Not sure it's a fair comparison, but if Mercedes Mone is truly coming in that's a significant improvement from Jade. All things considered, I'm kinda overjoyed not to have more weekly segments featuring (AEW's booking of) Jade Cargill.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Hell yes.  Filthy has been hustling forever and he was gutted at the Forbidden Door match falling through.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I covered the Danielson/Claudio tag, with unfortunately harsh words for Claudio.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2023/09/aew-five-fingers-of-death-911-917.html?m=1

And this is why Claudio has never been capable of being a true World Champion. For everything else he is perfect at, he has never been able to communicate, possibly comprehend, the idea of emotional stakes. It isn't a language barrier issue, because he's never been able to do it with body language either.

Nobody in recent memory has had a ceiling both that high and that hard, save for those with noticeable physical limitations or personality issues. The kids blaming Vince 10 year ago and voting him Most Underrated were such a sweet kind of naive. You can put all the peanut butter you want on his gums, but he's still a horse. Chris Hero, Tyson Kidd, Sheamus, Jake Hager, Wheeler Yuta, going all the way back to Are$, he is God's perfect muscle machine to be ridden by a more charismatic tag partner. And none of those guys were ever First Team All-Charisma guys. And that sucks and you have to learn how to put it out of your mind lest your heart and soul be dragged down by the thought of a hypothetical Claudio with an ounce of dramatic instinct.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 8
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

And this is why Claudio has never been capable of being a true World Champion. For everything else he is perfect at, he has never been able to communicate, possibly comprehend, the idea of emotional stakes. It isn't a language barrier issue, because he's never been able to do it with body language either.

Nobody in recent memory has had a ceiling both that high and that hard, save for those with noticeable physical limitations or personality issues. The kids blaming Vince 10 year ago and voting him Most Underrated were such a sweet kind of naive. You can put all the peanut butter you want on his gums, but he's still a horse. Chris Hero, Tyson Kidd, Sheamus, Jake Hager, Wheeler Yuta, going all the way back to Are$, he is God's perfect muscle machine to be ridden by a more charismatic tag partner. And none of those guys were ever First Team All-Charisma guys. And that sucks and you have to learn how to put it out of your mind lest your heart and soul be dragged down by the thought of a hypothetical Claudio with an ounce of dramatic instinct.

You only have so many stat points to distribute amongst your attributes. It wouldn’t be fair otherwise.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

• While speaking about Wembley Stadium, Khan revealed what Oje Hart, the son of Owen and Martha Hart, told him after All In:
  • It's such a special place. I remember standing outside Wembley Stadium with a bunch of the guys; we were walking out of the show, and Oje Hart was with us – Owen Hart's son. In the shadow of Wembley Stadium, as we all walked out, he said: ‘Pro wrestling took everything from me and I hate it, yet here I am and AEW feels like home to me.’ It's a moment I'll never forget. It was so perfect to happen there. At Wembley.
  • The Owen Hart tournament is not just a once-a-year thing, it's really special. They are a part of our crew. To have Christian Cage, Jeff Jarrett, Dustin Rhodes, people who were really close to Owen Hart, it means a lot to people here to continue that legacy.

It's great how AEW and the Owen Hart Foundation has joined up to pay tribute to Owen Hart's contributions to wrestling.

• Like 6