DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Jade’s star has a very good chance of burning brightest but I think Hayters star will burn longer so both have a lot of value for a promoter but I wouldn’t fault someone for letting someone go even if they have a good chance of being a huge star if they have some one who can be a big star for them longer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Jade’s star has a very good chance of burning brightest but I think Hayters star will burn longer so both have a lot of value for a promoter but I wouldn’t fault someone for letting someone go even if they have a good chance of being a huge star if they have some one who can be a big star for them longer. 

I don't think Khan had to choose one over the other.  Their women's division has very little depth.  

On the question of who I do I think she'll be pushed over in WWE:  I don't think that's the way to look at it.   Bayley and Asuka are transitioning into new roles I feel.  They'll be around but I see Asuka being more of a gatekeeper and Bayley likely becoming a trainer.  Becky and Charlotte are stars but are going to be part time in the near future, Charlotte has already begun that transition.  Jade has a shot of being up there with Bianca and Rhea (and Tiffany) and they have two brands to spread them out.  

Iyo, I don't think they are as high on.  She has a title reign right now but I think they view her more as an upper midcard and sometimes main event talent. 

• Like 2

I don’t think it was a situation of one or the other either. I’ve been thinking that TK coming from a sports background shows in the talent choices sometimes. If you were looking at a player who you knew could possibly have a couple great seasons given the right circumstances but has some limits in some areas of their game you might not want to give them a big money contract because they might not reach the level they could so if another team gave them a better offer you let them go. It makes sense in the NFL but not really in wrestling because some of the biggest stars had holes in their games but AEW seems to view the women as an economical position like RBs became in the NFL 

• Like 4

The way I look at it for Jade, worst case scenario, things don't work out for her in WWE, she's still got a lot of options going for her, and she could always go back to AEW. Just because she might fail doesn't mean she shouldn't try and go for it. She's got nothing to lose.

• Like 6

My last thought on the subject is this. If you’re TK and feel like you have money for one marquee female talent which are you paying, Mercedes or Jade? 

Personally I know which one I’m choosing ten times out of ten considering both have been rumored to have attitude issues, but one has already shown she’s a mega star and headlined a show on the highest level. Plus I think you’re more likely to get mainstream media attention off of Mercedes. Match and promo quality both go in her favor too. The fact they’re both the same age helps too as it’s not like you could say one is guaranteed to have a longer career than the other.

• Like 2

I agree that Jamie Hayter has star quality, like a snugger Becky Lynch. Becks returned from her injury hiatus when she was 26/27 and Jamie is older than that now (weird!), with a couple of years of build she'd be in the top mix soon enough imo

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

My last thought on the subject is this. If you’re TK and feel like you have money for one marquee female talent which are you paying, Mercedes or Jade? 

Personally I know which one I’m choosing ten times out of ten considering both have been rumored to have attitude issues, but one has already shown she’s a mega star and headlined a show on the highest level. Plus I think you’re more likely to get mainstream media attention off of Mercedes. Match and promo quality both go in her favor too. The fact they’re both the same age helps too as it’s not like you could say one is guaranteed to have a longer career than the other.

But one is more prone to injury and doesn't have the best instincts so you could bet on the one who works safer and is more moldable at this time. I'd say they're equal in terms of promo, although Jade hasn't had to memorize a script yet, and WWE doesn't always care about match quality (see: Jax, Nia). Has Mercedes done anything mainstream worthy since being in a Star War?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

I agree that Jamie Hayter has star quality, like a snugger Becky Lynch. Becks returned from her injury hiatus when she was 26/27 and Jamie is older than that now (weird!), with a couple of years of build she'd be in the top mix soon enough imo

But one is more prone to injury and doesn't have the best instincts so you could bet on the one who works safer and is more moldable at this time. I'd say they're equal in terms of promo, although Jade hasn't had to memorize a script yet, and WWE doesn't always care about match quality (see: Jax, Nia). Has Mercedes done anything mainstream worthy since being in a Star War?

How much better can Jade get? If she’s been training with Bryan Danielson even off and on for two years then I don’t see her improving much beyond where she’s at. Which to me at least is multiple levels below where Mercedes is (when she’s not out with an ankle injury). I’ll disagree on promo skill too as I don’t see how saying “bitch” repeatedly makes for a good promo. Mercedes does tend to over rely on the “boss” stuff, but she’s still a good promo around that. And I wouldn’t use Nia as a point either since Jade isn’t Dwayne’s cousin, and she won’t be given even a third of the opportunities that grants everyone. 

I don’t think Mercedes has done anything mainstream since then, but last I knew (read this as I’m most likely wrong) she was still on The Mandalorian so that’s more than enough, plus her connections with Snoop Dogg are bigger than what Jade would bring. 

I do like the Hayter love though. I’m with you that within the next two-three years she’ll be seen as an even bigger star than she already is. Unless TK really goofs she’s his ace for as long as he can keep her.

39 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So has anyone considered Jade maybe doesn't go to WWE and just stops wrestling? I recall some talk from her during her time away that she was losing interest

When every report out today states she’s headed to the PC this week I doubt it. I don’t know if she’ll sign for a long time, but I’m positive she’ll sign at least a two year deal and then maybe walk away.

• Like 1

I could be wrong but I don't see Mercedes signing a longterm contract with AEW.  A match or two?  Yes but I think she'd still rather wrestle in Japan and then eventually work around back to WWE on some type of part timer deal. 

I don't know if this counts as 'mainstream' or not but since leaving WWE in May of last year what Mercedes was doing (other than filming season 3 on 'The Mandalorian') was modeling.  She did some covers for Vogue and did the New York Fashion Show and L.A. Fashion show for various designer brands.  She also wrestled of course for NJPW and Stardom before the ankle injury that's had her sidelined for a few months. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

8 hours ago, LF2 said:

How much better can Jade get? If she’s been training with Bryan Danielson even off and on for two years then I don’t see her improving much beyond where she’s at.

Honestly, I don't think training is what she needs most. She's been in AEW for what, two years (?) and she's barely worked any competitive matches. She needs to be on the house shows working long(ish), called in the ring matches with solid experienced workers.

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Wonder if he is trying to apply analytics. I know one ofthe complaints ihear about Fulham since they took over is an over reliance on them over traditional scouting 

That’s an interesting idea to me. It’s not that TK can’t afford her, it’s that he thinks he’s not getting appropriate ROI. As an Atlanta Braves guy, I really like this idea. You let Freddie Freeman and Dansby Swanson walk and bring in cost effective replacements that can give you the same output (or thereabouts). 

14 hours ago, LF2 said:

How much better can Jade get? If she’s been training with Bryan Danielson even off and on for two years then I don’t see her improving much beyond where she’s at.

6 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Honestly, I don't think training is what she needs most. She's been in AEW for what, two years (?) and she's barely worked any competitive matches. She needs to be on the house shows working long(ish), called in the ring matches with solid experienced workers.

The idea I keep seeing floated, wherein Jade suddenly gets worlds better through working at the PC or doing the coconut loop or whatever, is laughable.  She was apparently working with Danielson (unless that was some "I want to appeal to the smarts" BS) and I didn't see much evidence of her getting better.  There's a reason she was in those short matches.  Some wrestlers just aren't good at this and/or don't really care to get better.  Regarding how she'll do in WWE, the real question is, has WWE and their audience evolved enough since the 80s that having a million dollar body and $5 skills is no longer viable long-term?  Would Jim Hellwig be a star in 2023? 

On a related note, can the historians here point out a time where a booker stuck the landing on a winning streak angle?  By that I mean keeping the wrestler's value after the streak ended and maybe turning the person who broke it into a star as well?

Edited by Technico Support

TK has always talked about Jades star presence and how she'd turn heads and press events with people outside the company and being a good representative of the company. Regardless of how green she still is they have enough talent and resources to help her come along faster as far as her inring skills. They have some really good women's wrestlers but none of them have her star presence. Unless they get Mercedes they won't have that. Heck I think Trinity has more star presence than anyone they have regardless of how a good number of them are better inring. With talent cuts due to the merger. Who knows who will be available that TK and people in his ear might not want to pass on. If people like Braun and Bray got cut last time. It wouldn't be surprised if Women high up on Card get cut. Unless your Charlotte,Bianca or Becky, It's not telling who'd be available. It's just something about AEWs division that's not clicking with me. I think Lufisto's grips exposed some flaws maybe

14 hours ago, LF2 said:

How much better can Jade get? If she’s been training with Bryan Danielson even off and on for two years then I don’t see her improving much beyond where she’s at. Which to me at least is multiple levels below where Mercedes is (when she’s not out with an ankle injury). I’ll disagree on promo skill too as I don’t see how saying “bitch” repeatedly makes for a good promo. Mercedes does tend to over rely on the “boss” stuff, but she’s still a good promo around that. And I wouldn’t use Nia as a point either since Jade isn’t Dwayne’s cousin, and she won’t be given even a third of the opportunities that grants everyone. 

That’s a fair assessment. I’m more speaking from WWE’s perspective than my own. Jade passes the airport test so to speak, and that counts for a lot in that company. Even training with Danielson may not be quite right for her since she’ll never work a style close to his, he can impart psychology and work the basics with her but she could flourish in an environment with a more rote formula and more involved agents (just a guess). And she’d be learning from the guys who taught Danielson so it’s not like she’ll be short on advice

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 1:11 PM, Matt D said:

F53CpsXXAAA3VTI?format=jpg&name=large

I get a kick out of Mox and Christian sharing a room.

On 9/13/2023 at 5:41 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The elevator fart theory is funny but probably closer to the truth is he also always looks like he's thinking "Who the fuck is this guy?" Like, that guy above, I'm asking myself the same question.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:45 PM, Eivion said:

Mark Davis

On 9/13/2023 at 7:46 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Thank you! 

I swear he looks like a certain comedian I can't place only with a handlebar mustache. 

EDIT: Oh christ. It's Jason Lee in My Name Is Earl. At least in that photo.

ERaA5wnXkAMa15z.jpg

Paddy Considine from Hot Fuzz (2007).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

WrestleDream and Full Gear purchased, we'll call those an early birthday present, or something. 2 PPV's for 35e, isn't bad.

29th September. Easy one to remember as Aje who is like a brother to me shares the same birthday.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The idea I keep seeing floated, wherein Jade suddenly gets worlds better through working at the PC or doing the coconut loop or whatever, is laughable.  She was apparently working with Danielson (unless that was some "I want to appeal to the smarts" BS) and I didn't see much evidence of her getting better.  

There's no substitute for experience. You have to get your reps in to get better. It's going to be very difficult for people at her experience level to get better working a few times a month. Even Goldberg having matches at similar lengths and being protected in the same way came along fine earlier on working TV once or twice a week and house shows. It's not just a problem she's having by not working enough. You can't even argue even the talent aren't working often enough to get better especially if they are only working talent that are about as green as them. I'm sure she learned alot from Bryan but it's not the same as actually having matches with the guy instead of just coaching you. I don't know how hands on he was with Jade but I'm sure it's invaluable lessons that may not click till she gets more ring time. I'm not writing her off like a Nia Jaxx who it dont see getting better but even she was pushed way too fast, too soon and she's pretty much at the position where she doesn't need to improve if she doesn't want to and the people she's working know they have to deal with it. Jade seems like she wants to get better even if it's not coming as naturally to her but that's the way it goes sometimes. Not everyone is going to be a Kurt Angle or Bianca Belair when they just take to it so naturally and fast. It's just doesn't happen that way no matter how great of an athlete you are but it does mean you can't get there. She definitely can. The PC system is built upon the premise that they can turn out any former athlete into Lesnar or Bianca but it takes alot more for these guys to take to this business 

On 9/14/2023 at 10:54 PM, BrianS81177 said:

• Like 1