DVDVR Message Board

RIP Bray Wyatt

Bray's not the first wrestling person born after me to have died (Reid Fleihr, Sara Lee, there's a some indy people listed on the Premature Wrestling Deaths wiki entry, I'm not leaving out Jay Briscoe, I was born after him)..

it always sucks, but it really sucks when it's someone younger than you are. I'm guessing this is a thing some of the other people on here have been experiencing for a few decades by now with how many wrestlers all died especially in the 2000s.

Someone like Terry Funk, you had other wrestlers basically saying this and that like your grandma providing family health updates. But this was pretty much radio silence aside from the one Mike Rotunda thing that people have mentioned already

• Like 1

Holy shit, Bray is the same age as me down to the month. It's extremely chilling to hear of the death of a guy who I saw essentially his whole pro career start to finish, and less than half of the total time I've been watching wrestling.

This may be retrospect but we could be pretty harsh towards him on here. There was a lot of "...and then the bell rang" talk but I thought dude could work, he just got saddled with bad creative at times, and you can point that in many directions instead of just his. No matter how you feel about him he was part of the hottest runs in wrestling in the last 20 years. 

Anyway, this is way too young and way too sad. RIP.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Man, this really bums me out. I might be the biggest Bray fan on here. I think the Wyatts run is some of the best stuff we had in wrestling this decade. 

1) His NXT stuff is what brought me and some others to start to watch. He was not the reason why NXT popped off but NXT would not ne what it was without him. So many great weirdo promos. His goodbye promo is one of the best conquering hero promos ever. 

2) Their feud with The Shield is probably my favorite ever. It was so simple and just absolute badass. Their Eliminator Chamber match might be my favorite match ever. Sami/Roman probably passed it this year. But the Elim Chamber match was so special. I am going to watch that later. They also had some other MOTYs in their less remembered matches like the Chicago Raw where Seth walked out because Roman and Dean were beefing and one on an early Main Event that brought the house down.

3) A huge reason why The YES Movement got so big was because of his feud with DB. People bugged out when DB surrendered to Bray. Like threatening to never watch WWE level stuff for what was a pretty clear angle. DB then got the pop of the century on the cage when he broke free. You don’t get anything that insanely over without a kickass protagonist. Nobody remembers the Royal Rumble match they had — I think it’s my favorite DB match in the WWE. It is so fucking nasty.

4) Maybe the best entrance song ever? Breaking Out In Love is a legitimately great song. The dude who made the song was in the Jesus and Mary Chain for a minute. The guy who helped Bray find the song was DVDVR alum Rob Naylor.

5) His feud with Cena and the crazy shit with the children’s choir and all of that was so fucked up and awesome. Their WM match sucked but their Last Man Standing rematch is one of Cena’s best matches. 

6) Man, I spent so much time just watching random Wyatt promos. Religious cult Bray is one of the absolute bust characters ever.

I did not get so into The Fiend or the funhouse stuff, but I really appreciated the creativity. Nobody else even can conceive of anything like that. You have to give that credit. And the insane cinema match with Cena was also something else.

RIP to one of the best of his era. I hope there is a revisiting of a lot of Bray’s stuff because he was magnificent.

• Like 15

Truly saddening news. Such a young age and with a young family. Bray was a very creative individual and could do some really great promo work and was way more athletic than his build would lead you to believe. I envisioned him having a long career both in front of the camera and behind. Feel so sad for his whole family.

He's got the whole world in his hands......

Every once in a while in wrestling there's a few people that fans that can really latch onto. Not just cheer or like but really want to see them do well. Bray Wyatt was one of those guys for me. That cult leader promos spoke to the English major in me and then as his character expanded and evolved into the Fiend and giving us the masterpiece that was the Firefly Funhouse match with Cena was everything my film brain and ex horror writer in me could have wanted out of a wrestling match.

The guy was one of the most creative minds to ever do it and it's a shame the company never got behind him in a way to see what his character really could be. He got the most important part of it, commanded the crowd and they listened. "Follow me."

Gone far too soon.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

I have no memory of this promo.

I think the best song ever written is “Another Girl Another Planet” by The Only Ones. It is a masterpiece — a perfect case where the lyrics and the music match seamlessly together. 

This promo really reminds me of that. This is so good. The words and the story flow so well and match perfectly with his cadence and the delivery. It builds and builds and hits the high mark and delivery so perfect. It kind of feels in a way like a classic Dusty Rhodes promo In the craft of the performance.

What a special talent.

• Like 1

just remembered how Barry Windham's still alive right now because he happened to have his heart attack in one of the busiest airports in the world (he had a heart attack last December in the Atlanta airport).. but, combine possible genetic factors and conditions known to cause clotting and heart conditions and Bray just disappearing from TV makes more sense with the things in SRS's tweet

Not to be mean but hopefully someone can hug Bo Dallas and keep him away from the "Lizard people rule the world" websites. Having your older brother die like that might pull someone who already is a bit of a conspiracy guy in a direction or two.

Also, I feel awful for Rob Naylor tonight too because he's such a joy on the podcasts/etc that he's been on and I've seen his Twitter tonight and he lost a friend today and it's sad when someone like Rob is down. Did I explain that right? Idk.

• Like 7

Devastating news. Wyatt was a creative mind who never ran out of ideas. R.I.P. The Shield series is mentioned often, and rightfully so, but I always enjoyed his work with Daniel Bryan, especially the Strap Match from the 2020 Royal Rumble. The brief run tagging with Orton was fun as well. They had a really good match with American Alpha on the 11/29/2016 episode of SmackDown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq8BxYJgwXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FS9darRYpQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmIr8viseQ

Edited by Corwo
  • Like 3