DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/23 - 8/29/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, JLowe said:

welp, there goes OC's run of top-tier matches. Solo is the JAGgiest of the JAGs

Gonna use spoilers, just in case anyone cares:

Spoiler

It's not a great match by any means, but it was fun. The tapings went super-late (ended at 1am), so Orange was a bit of a boost to the crowd. This was nice to see live because Orange got to do his stuff. It wasn't a subversion of the OC match formula, it was him doing his fun stuff. Might not be the best tv match, but it did what we needed at that moment live.

• Like 1

I think the Fox thing is a decent idea/terrible execution issue.  Like, it's some extremely evil shit for Swerve to convince Fox to turn his back on all of his friends, commit felonious assault, and then dump him unceremoniously weeks later.  That's great heeling!  And it makes total sense for his character that Darby would still come down to save him after all that, and that Sting would help him because Sting is, canonically, the most trusting person in wrestling.  But it does ring false that Nick Wayne would be so immediately forgiving; having Sting and Darby make the save on their own would have made a lot more sense.

Like you could do a fascinating story of Darby saving Fox but still not forgiving him and Fox trying to get revenge on the Mogul Embassy while redeeming himself to Darby/Wayne but it doesn't seem like they're going to do any of that.

Either way it is a huge bummer that AR Fox doesn't get to wrestle at Wembley.

• Like 3

Whoever said it was going to be Crash TV with lots of talking was right.

Mox-Fenix was good but no one should kick out of a super Death Rider (or whatever that's called), the Fighting Spirit style doesn't work quite as well when one guy is getting his ass kicked for 5 minutes and then pops up and hits a damned superkick. I'm a big fan of Fenix but he should not be hanging with Mox like that.

Yuta being the one who took Fenix out just seals the deal on him taking the fall at Wembley, likely after Penta spams him with Cero Miedo 20 times before hitting the shittiest Sling Blade onto a barbed wire chair.

I agree with everything that's been said about the Fox-Swerve angle, even Russo thinks that shit was rushed and makes no sense. Bringing Christian in does advance the angle of Darby-Luchasaurus for All Out.

MJF's segment was great. Cole's was overacted. I feel like they're not trusting their fans to see all the "subtle" stuff.

They did Skye Blue dirty, but at the same time Ruby really needs a win and I am fine with her starting an angle with Stat.

Ospreay seems pretty awesome to me, and that was a great promo to give that match some much needed heat.

Aussie Open pretty well squashes Hardys, did not see that coming.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Mox-Fenix was good but no one should kick out of a super Death Rider (or whatever that's called), the Fighting Spirit style doesn't work quite as well when one guy is getting his ass kicked for 5 minutes and then pops up and hits a damned superkick. I'm a big fan of Fenix but he should not be hanging with Mox like that.

I knew that kick out was coming with those 2 guys in the ring. Fenix always kicks out of shit he shouldn’t and Mox never protects his stuff like he should.

Fenix kicking out of ridiculous things is such a flaw that it really ruins his matches for me. Very much not a fan of underdog faces kicking out of stuff that would finish dudes higher up the card.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

no one should kick out of a super Death Rider

Here, here. Forgot to mention that. Him kicking out of the fucking spine-shortening Frankensteiner that Komander gave him last week was only slightly more egregious. Quit insulting our intelligence, dude. 

• Like 2

It looks like the reason Fox cannot make the show is because he has had a death in his family.  That sucks.  Booking is still mindboggling, but I can respect him putting family first.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It looks like the reason Fox cannot make the show is because he has had a death in his family.  That sucks.  Booking is still mindboggling, but I can respect him putting family first.

While I didn't love the angle last night, either, mostly I just feel really bad for Fox. Here's a dude that's been around for quite a while without ever really hitting it big. He sees a few guys he's trained make it, but not him. Then, he finally gets his shot, and he's going to be on the biggest show ever, and then he's not.

I 100% respect the hell out of him for choosing his family first if that's what it came down to, though. That's really admirable. I just hate that he's missing out on such a big professional accomplishment that he worked his ass off for years for.

Here's hoping he gets another shot at it down the road.

• Like 2

The best they could do with the situation now I think is a fired up AR Fox promo on Dynamite or Collision next week saying he wasn't 100% there due to his family situation. Then let him and Swerve recreate their LU matches at All Out, which looks like it needs even more material than a normal AEW ppv does 2 weeks out. Maybe even let Fox go over for his trouble.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Tony obviously doesn’t see it this way, but if this is true he essentially punished the guy for choosing his family over All In. It might not be meant as a punishment, only as a work around for the big show, but when face AR Fox goes back to one random Rampage match every other month because Tony cut the legs out his story and lost him in the shuffle it will pretty much have that effect.

Edited by Jrag

It isnt like AR Fox and the rotating band of Cruisers haven't been taking on Cage/Gates for the ROH Trios for a while, this betrayal and departure might be the fire for AR to finally find the right combo of people wronged by the Mogul Embassy to overcome and take the Trios and also to feud with Swerve so Darby can focus on the TNT title hunt and all that emcompasses.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Tony obviously doesn’t see it this way, but if this is true he essentially punished the guy for choosing his family over All In. It might not be meant as a punishment, only as a work around for the big show, but when face AR Fox goes back to one random Rampage match every other month because Tony cut the legs out his story and lost him in the shuffle it will pretty much have that effect.

Eh...that's making a pretty Dolphman-esque leap there.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Log said:

Eh...that's making a pretty Dolphman-esque leap there.

You may be right, and just to clarify I’m not saying he is intentionally doing anything of the sort just that the outcome has a high potential to be the same as if he was.

Overall I did like this show quite a bit even if my main talking point is a negative. Other cool things about this show. Ospreay calling out Danielson and Punk, MJF sit down and Renee having like 10 segments.

Renee is one of the most important signings they have made.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 4

I think I loved about every promo from last night. As soon as Christian came out with Nick Wayne in the ring I started laughing my ass off because I, and everyone else, just knew what was coming. Christian going after anyone who has a dead father may be one of my all time favorite and funniest gimmicks. The only thing missing was Christian saying he would keep Nick's mom's bed warm at night. I just couldn't stop laughing though.

TRT JERICHO IN FULL EFFECT!!! Fuck it. Find that fountain of youth, son. I think he and Ospreay are going to have a hell of a match and I'm a whole lot more interested in this match now than I was when it was first rumored. Killer promo by both guys.

Going back to heels that crack me up, Jay White is entering that Christian tier too. 

I think the only promo segment I didn't care that much for was Bucks and FTR. I just don't care that much for feuds based around who is the best of all time or something about cementing a legacy unless that cementing a legacy thing means winning a world title for the first time. It wasn't bad or anything, I just wasn't feeling it. I think it's the wrong build for these guys.

Loved all of the Cole and MJF segments. This has been such a well done feud, probably top 5 in AEW history, and I especially liked the tease that the Kingdom put out there that on Sunday we'll see who the real Cole is and who the real MJF is. MJF leading another stable seems lame and it just doesn't work, so I'm guessing it'll play out like how I thought. Cole uses the tag match to soften MJF up and then finishes the deal with the Kingdom in the main event.

Ortiz and Santana teaming up again was a surprise. I think one thing that makes me really sad is when real life close friends have a falling out so I'm hoping that those two have mended fences and reconnected. And the history to this whole match is stellar. It's one of those times where everything that's happened in AEW's past matters works really well. We're coming off the heels of a parking lot brawl and now here come Santana and Ortiz again with the Best Friends on the other side and instead of a parking lot brawl, it's a Stadium Stampede. Can't think of a better sequel for those guys. Then there's the history with Yuta and all of the Best Friends and what just happened in the parking lot brawl. There's all of the history between Eddie, Santana and Ortiz, and Lucha Bros. and how far back all of those guys go. We've been waiting to see if anything would happen after Eddie went after Ortiz, well, this is it. Then there's the history between Eddie and Claudio, what happens with Eddie and Moxley, getting revenge for Fenix, etc. 

I know I said I wouldn't order this show, but I'm going back on that because this episode sold the fuck out of the PPV for me. And for $20 on Fite with my VPN, I don't see why I shouldn't pay to see All In.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Renee is one of the most important signings they have made.

The interaction with Kingston at the ambulance was great.

@Matt D talks a lot about performers who live in the moment, who react to things in real time. That may have been a planned moment (it probably was), but it came off like Eddie speaking off the cuff in that moment, feeling the things he would be feeling.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I really don't know if it's better or worse that he did the ad read in the fake somber voice.

Much better. If he went back to the rapid fire Excalibur I wouldn't have bought in so hard to the Fenix beat down.

• Like 1

Ospreay is my wrestler and promo* of the year. Has really upped his game and has a great presence.

As much as we all bitch about Jericho shoe-horning himself into everything this should be a great match and if he does the job it’s a great way to put Ospreay over…….if. 

*Im basing this on the promo he cut against Omega in January and not last night BRUV. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

i was thinking they could make an American Pie reference but frankly Nick might to be young for even that movie.   Fuck we are old

As Trevor Dame mentioned on Twitter,   Excalibur going from having a serious and somber moment to plugging a gambling web site (ON A WRESTLING SHOW) to quickly going 100 MPH plugging All In is something to say the least

It was especially good on the Canadian broadcast because it went somber voice, plug, to a completely black screen with "Whopper whopper whopper whopper" playing. In fact there were two straight at breaks with no picture. It was weird

• Haha 3