DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/16 - 8/22/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I haven’t watched AEW in a few weeks. But just saw Toni Storm’s new character. Tony Kahn, noted e-fedder, must have stumbled across my character from the past year doing a Norma Desmond gimmick.’ I am going to sue.

In all honesty — I never liked Toni Storm but love what she has been doing with this character. But man if she starts closing her promos with “Toni Storm is ready for her closeup” I am going to be so pissed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Loved the Golden Vampire, fun old school bit and created a different kind of opening.  Dalton/Jay was great and I really liked how it flowed right in to the BCG promo and ensuing trios match. Excellent use of time there. Keeping the cardboard Jay around has been hilarious.  Toni continues to be greatness, love throwing her shoe at Lexy becoming a regular thing. Great main event from Christian and Darby. 

• Like 3

I fucking love that Punk was the Golden Vampire, throwback to IWA Midsouth. I wonder if that was a Chris Hero bit (Tracy Smothers played one of them once, and he and Punk were in IWA MS) or something they both came up with or just Punk by himself. Little niche things like that pop me.

Oh, and the Rush storyline is pretty cool. Although, if he wanted all of them down in Mexico, and Preston and Dralistico were already there… why kidnap them? Huh? That makes it seem like they aren’t a part of LFI or something. Also weird that Andrade is missing, and now it seems like that ladder match with Buddy was the blow off. Is he really going through personal stuff with Charlotte, I wonder?

Bang Bang Gang are continuing to grow on me, but I wish Big Bill was with them instead of Starks. Still don’t much like the Gunns, but eh, I can get past it. At least Austin has crazy energy like Juice. Colten is kind of just… there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I haven’t watched AEW in a few weeks. But just saw Toni Storm’s new character. Tony Kahn, noted e-fedder, must have stumbled across my character from the past year doing a Norma Desmond gimmick.’ I am going to sue.

In all honesty — I never liked Toni Storm but love what she has been doing with this character. But man if she starts closing her promos with “Toni Storm is ready for her closeup” I am going to be so pissed.

Re: the mixup between Judy Garland and Joan Crawford and the Norma Desmond act.

We really need her to start dropping names of all her Hollywood A-list friends like Mary Pickford and Gloria Swanson and talk about how Claudette Colbert comes over her house for tea every week.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Collision was just an awkward show tonight. I like Dalton Castle, but that match with Jay White went on way too long. They could've accomplished the exact same thing going about 8-10 minutes and still letting Castle get some shine and offense in. 

I don't really get how we got here with Miro and Hobbs. Also where the hell is Scorpio Sky? They're putting Iron Savages and a bunch of random jobbers on Collision, but Scorpio Sky is nowhere to be found.

AEW knew exactly what they were doing by advertising FTR for tonight and then passing off a dumbass video package as the new thing with FTR. Low-class bullshit. False and misleading advertising.

I also still don't get why we're getting another Punk/Joe match that no one wants and asked for. 

Edited by TheVileOne

Scorpio is injured. That’s why he was replaced by Komander on Rampage a few weeks ago against Kip Sabian.

I want another (better) Punk/Joe match so I don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: the mixup between Judy Garland and Joan Crawford and the Norma Desmond act.

We really need her to start dropping names of all her Hollywood A-list friends like Mary Pickford and Gloria Swanson and talk about how Claudette Colbert comes over her house for tea every week.

As another effect of reading this Outfit book again (see: Writer's Strike thread in Movies and TV) I'm finding out that there were a significant amount of popular stars and starlets that got their start being pimped out and such. She could read some Hollywood dirt bios and talk shit about who's fucking who and stuff like that. Nobody would understand a bit of it but that would be the fun part, she'd come off even more deranged. 

(Of course you couldn't let loose with the real bad stuff, like how Spencer Tracy used to binge between movies and when he did he would lay in a bathtub and literally chug hard liquor and lay there puking, pissing, and shitting on himself for days on end. Yep.) 

• Like 1

Dude, that was my exact idea. And just have Lexy Nair eventually play into it.

Imagine for a second, the lower third graphic on the screen says Toni Storm and right above it, "In a blood feud with Marlene Dietrich?".

That conniving German bitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Here I was this morning, making coffee in preparation to watch Collision.  I could hear Elton John and a few mumbling promos in the distance.  When I walked in the room however, there was what I was certain was new generation of Conquistadors on my tv.  Exciting!

Turns out it was just CM Punk.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I want another (better) Punk/Joe match so I don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.

CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe is the match I'm most looking forward to as I think it's more likely now FTR lose to the Young Bucks because of Cash Wheeler's stupidity. If indeed the match happens. Going into the show, I guessed the Bucks were going over.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

One of my favorite wrestling tv tropes is “babyface dresses as in a ridiculous costume to sneak up on the heel.” I loved it when DDP dressed up as LA Parka, I loved it when Mox wore a bear costume to beat up the Miz, and I loved it last night. I’m a sucker for a good trope. 

The pacing of this show just works so much better. I could watch Hobbs feloniously assault jobbers for days. Miro’s promo was dope, too. 

I had not seen any Dalton Castle before he arrived in AEW/ROH. He’s been so good I’ve actually gone back to watch his older stuff. That’s the highest compliment I can pay him. He made me give a shit, and I hate giving a shit. Same with Jay White. I don’t watch new Japan, so I hadn’t seen him. I’m not sure I believe as some do here, that he should’ve come in and been a top guy right away, but holy hell is he entertaining. Same with Juice Robinson. I didn’t know you could get a personality transplant in Japan. The Ass Boys are really flourishing with this version of the Bullet Club, too. Loud Ass might already be the most punchable guy in the company. 

Big Bill backing up a cocky loudmouth will always be money. Ricky Starks is as big an upgrade as one can get from Enzo. And I liked Enzo.

I like Willow Nightingale a ton, but nothing she’s doing now required her to win the Owen. She didn’t need it and Ruby Soho absolutely did. This was a fun match, though. I wonder what Adolph Rupp would’ve thought of a queer Latina and a black woman being a featured match on a card in the arena named after him. 

The main was fine. I don’t see the same upside in Darby Allin that some others do, but I never saw the appeal in Jeff Hardy, either. 

Another very solid 2 hours of wrestling. Excited for All In and All Out.

• Like 5

I forgot about Miro RENOUNCING HIS GOD~! He has solved the Riddle of Steel. Now he can stand away from Crom and say "TO HELL WITH YOU!"

My guess is this ends up in him and Hobbs teaming up and becoming a carny strongman team that make the Iron Savages look like guys that don't even lift, bro.

• Haha 2

First time I really caught the Iron Savages and I was impressed.  Considering my small sample size, not sure if that was them or BCG, but enjoyable match and i want to see more of them.  Enjoyed the opening angle with Punk/Joe and really enjoyed Castle/White.  I would love to see Dalton Castle featured more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, that was my exact idea. And just have Lexy Nair eventually play into it.

Imagine for a second, the lower third graphic on the screen says Toni Storm and right above it, "In a blood feud with Marlene Dietrich?".

That conniving German bitch.

See I was thinking about how to get her and Juice into some kind of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf angle with Jack Perry and  Anna Jay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, here’s when we got to the arena yesterday and I told Harrison we were there for AEW:

They also taped Rampage and ROH, so we didn’t get out of there until 1 am. He went STRONG the whole time. Screamed his little head off for Darby Allin. I’m surprised he didn’t come through on tv even though we weren’t exactly close. You can see him when Jay White is starting his post-match interview and he says something about “Lexington Gold Members”. Really small, you can see a little figure with his hands in the air. 

Once Collision was over, quite a few people left. We moved down to the floor, so Har was front row for a lot of Rampage. It’ll be interesting to see if we can see and hear him on Friday. 

I’m exhausted today. But it was all worth it for this:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7