DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/16 - 8/22/2023

Dolfan in NYC

That Texas Chainsaw thing was the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen. I loved every second of it. I don’t want nonsense like that every week, but as a special attraction it’s fantastic. 

Kind of enjoyed the main event, actually. Ass Boy Tall is almost too athletic for his own good, and that match featured three of the 5 most punchable faces in wrestling. (The Jackson’s and Ass Boy Loud)

jesus was that Cole/MJF segment insufferable. The pre tape stuff was fine. The Outback Steakhouse payoff was hilarious. Went downhill pretty fast. “Who’s ready for story time with adam Cole baybay” is a dogshit opener. Mostly because it’s never a story. Just more nonsense. 

Everything else was good. I thought that painting reveal from Callie was subversive in the right way. Swerve & AR Fox are great together.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, porksweats said:

No matter how bad the Texas Chainsaw Deathmatch started, the visual of Singh standing tall at the end was worth it all.

Satnam needed to be standing tall doing the chainsaw dance. 

I assume Mark Briscoe is still on the shelf because he would have fit into this match perfectly. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

When Tony was talking last year about all the belts he’d had made that nobody had seen, we had no idea just how far he’d gone.

The Leatherface belt is awesome! If I were Jeff Jarrett, I would wear that thing everytime I were on tv. 

• Like 6

Orange/Yuta wasn't quite as excellent as their last match, but still solid. Great to have Kingston back and wasn't expecting Stadium Stampede. 

Callis looked like an idiot for having that picture set up in the ring rather than having it brought out after if Jericho said no, but I'm actually kinda looking forward to Jericho/Ospreay. Liked Sammy making the save since he was the one who said he wouldn't exactly walk out on Jericho like the rest.

Really enjoyed the MJF/Cole segment, thought both delivered strong promos and had me more than ever wanting them to keep it this way with it being face vs face all the way through regardless of the outcome. Laughed at Roderick still chasing after "ADAAAAAAAAAAAM!!" 

Thought The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Deathmatch was hilarious, highlighted of course by the Leatherface run-in. Jarrett should definitely hold onto and defend his newly won Texas Chainsaw Massacre Deathmatch Championship. 

The Acclaimed beating still had me hoping for Billy to make the save. Fun main event, loved all the post-match chaos. Pretty good build to ALL IN all throughout the show. I might've missed it but I don't remember seeing the usual rundown of Rampage/next week. 

• Like 2

Tonight was an all right episode of Dynamite. I missed OC/Yuta, but saw everything from the end of that on. I assumed they were setting up Cassidy vs. Moxley for the International Title. But stadium stampede is a nice bonus for the show.

I thought the video of Adam Cole and MJF at Outback Steakhouse and them doing the Crocodile Hunter stuff was funny. Tony Khan losing his shit had to be a gag of some sort about him not controlling the wrestlers. 

The promo with them in the ring was fine. MJF all ready told the story about him wanting to face Cody and Adam Cole before. But he got me back towards the end. Adam Cole turning on him at the PPV is going to break him mentally I think.

The death match was hilarious. I don't know why they needed a bucket of blood, I'm sure Jeff could have tapped a gusher the old fashioned way. But that aside I couldn't stop laughing and that was a good thing. I might actually get this game so I'm sold on that. I agree with the notion that Jeff needs to wear the belt. 

It was fun to see Joker Sting return. That was my favorite latter Sting persona so it will fit with him doing crazy stuff.

I guess they are going to lure Bill Gunn back to finish this feud at All Out with The House of Black. Maybe do a Chicago street fight or something interesting.

I thought Bucks/Gunns was all right. The match was rushed so it was what it was. But overall not a bad match. A Bucks/FTR vs. Bullet Club Gold 8 man would be good to see.

• Like 2

Yeah that was not my type of show. The opener was good, but Yuta shaking off all those big shots at the end both before and after the roll up really stuck out like a sore thumb. I guess that happens when you are in the ring with one of the best sellers in the business. OC grabbing his own pants on the roll up was a nice touch though.

Can’t get behind the sloppy builds to these multi man matches.  Can’t get behind the idea of Jericho playing the “face” in this match somehow after choosing to side with Callis? Just so dumb. 

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Tony Khan losing his shit had to be a gag of some sort about him not controlling the wrestlers. 

Oh yeah, no way they didn't know what they were doing there - which really, was a choice that just brings up more questions for me, but we'll see how things play out I guess.

• Like 1

I made it right up to the Leatherface match. I'll probably write up the Darby match for Monday as I have one general thesis for it (the commercial break slowdown there wasn't just taking things down in the match but in the show, in the build to the PPV, in our lives, etc. I'll overwrite it). I know people have been frustrated about matches not being built up earlier. 

And if you're Khan, he'll pull out the spreadsheet and show you how ACTUALLY Claudio wrestling Fenix and Claudio and Yuta wrestling the Lucha Bros and the Best Friends getting involved at the ROH PPV and everything else all perfectly led to this moment, and if you squint, sure, kind of? 

I'm not going to weigh in there, but I will say this show had to have shorter matches, more segments, and tons of crash TV in order to get them closer to where they needed to be. Therefore, absolutely nothing resonated or mattered. If they had been building the show with more care and discipline, you wouldn't have needed an episode like this. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Callis looked like an idiot for having that picture set up in the ring rather than having it brought out after if Jericho said no, but I'm actually kinda looking forward to Jericho/Ospreay. Liked Sammy making the save since he was the one who said he wouldn't exactly walk out on Jericho like the rest.

With heavy back-up always looming was Don Callis such an idiot? This was an odd segment. It doesn't exactly set-up Jericho as a babyface when he's deciding to join the Family. I sense the idea is Jericho is still the heel for home team Ospreay.

Nice to see Ospreay wearing his finest strip club sweats like a right chav, bellend showing and all.

"Sir, this is a hospital!  You can't drink a beer here!"

I love how pretty much every OC defense is "how is he going to keep the title this time?"  And then he does and it's GREAT.

Satnam looked more like Tiny from Devil's Rejects but he can't help that. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Remembered that there was a section after a match where Ex was talking and Taz was just grooving away to the music like a goober for the entire time the camera was on them. Dad Taz is too good for words. He also sounded disarmed and almost hurt when saying "What did he just say? He's gonna retire the belt?"

The more I think about this episode the dumber it gets. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's 2023 and Prince Nana is on TNT with Sting selling a match at Wembley Stadium with a $9 million gate. If you told me this was going to happen back in 2001, I'd sic the nice young men in the white coats on you.

Loved Darby's tope on Tea Leoni just for how he rebounded like he landed in a bouncy castle.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

This was an odd show. I think @Matt D nailed it. They had to rush through so much stuff, nothing got to stick.

The Texas Chainsaw match definitely would've been better served as a cinematic match. Also probably would've been better with someone else in Jeff Hardy's place. Him just wandering around at the start chanting "Hardy!" was awkward as hell.

The Darby/Wayne tag and the Bucks/Gunns tag were fine, but needed more time to breathe. They both felt rushed. Britt/Bunny's result was never really in doubt, so it was just there.

As usual, the highlight of the show was Orange Cassidy. The dude has just achieved near perfection in his matches. He just always seems to do the right thing in the situation. He had that moment where Yuta had gained control on the floor, but Orange caught him with the Beach Break (I think) as he came into the ring. It was a sort of "fighting spirit" moment, but Orange sold it perfectly. It wasn't a thing where he stopped selling to get his move in. I really bought into it being the finish when Wheeler got the seat belt locked in. Great near-fall. Also, the finish with him holding his own pants was really creative and brilliant.

Has there ever been such a great climb from "how the hell is this guy's gimmick going to work on a weekly tv show?" to "this guy is the best wrestler in the company" before?

And goddamn it! Where are my Collision matches?!!?!? I'm kind of wondering if we don't get FTR/Bucks vs. BC Gold in an 8-man tag. I need to know, man!

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's 2023 and Prince Nana is on TNT with Sting selling a match at Wembley Stadium with a $9 million gate. If you told me this was going to happen back in 2001, I'd sic the nice young men in the white coats on you.

Loved Darby's tope on Tea Leoni just for how he rebounded like he landed in a bouncy castle.

Return of Joker Sting as well. I noticed last week but forgot to mention the subtle red lines on Sting's face paint lips.

12 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

When Tony was talking last year about all the belts he’d had made that nobody had seen, we had no idea just how far he’d gone.

This guy belts.

• Haha 1

Perfectly enjoyable Dynamite with something for everyone.

I really, really don't like the Hardys. They're both broken down, suck, their music sucks, and they're lamer than watching old HHH and HBK trying to do DX shit. That said, I enjoyed that Texas Chainsaw Massacre match more than I should have. It was so fucking weird. Everyone once in a while it's ok to see a ton of shit get thrown at the wall and it broke up some of the monotony of storyline setup on this particular show. But yeah, once they dumped the bucket of blood on Jeff and Jeff sold it like a shotgun and Karen sold it like Jeff was murdered I started laughing pretty hard. It was just so dumb. Then they go out to the ring and there's smoke inexplicably coming out for the ring. Just smoke. For no reason. Even the announcers had these WTF responses to it. Jeff's swanton through the table look really painful. Leatherface coming out with chainsaw sounds coming out of the house speakers was a choice. And then that belt. That beautiful belt. JJ should go back to calling himself the Chosen One.

I thought they were building towards Mox vs OC, but I'll certainly take a Stadium Stampede match. Also, that pop for Eddie. For the love of god, Tony, please, make that man your champion.

Is there anyone who has improved quite as fast as the Gunns did? They went from being an a team that just won a bunch on Dark. They were dudes in the crowd during the covid era bookings. And then they really found themselves. They're maybe one of best examples of why it's important to get a lot of reps in if you're a developing wrestler. It would be cool if they could always come out to the 50 Cent music, but that shit is expensive. Even still, I love their entrance, I think they work really well as a team, they're a perfect fit for the Bullet Club, etc. It would have been nice to see them get more time with the Bucks, but I also want to see the Bucks be preserved for their match with FTR especially since Matt's arm is still fucked up and every week it seems like the arm brace gets bigger and bigger. 

Sometimes the booking for PPVs works when everything comes together in the last 2 to 3 weeks before a PPV. This is one of those times where their backs were up against the wall with there being back to back PPVs and the build or angle for so many matches on All In were just the same thing. Like, that's fine if it happens a couple times, but it just felt like the whole show it happened over and over again.

Yuta is such a great piece of shit. I never got to see him work as a heel on the indies and I don't know if he's doing anything similar now to what he was doing then, but that was some great heel work against OC. He was just picking him apart and being a total piece of shit while doing it. In a perfect world, there would be a way to pair up Yuta and ZSJ for World Tag League.

Yo, the fuck was up with JR in that interview. Motherfucker looked like he had a thousand yard stare during the beatdown. He looked like how my mom looks in the nursing home whenever I visit her. Just totally distant and not aware of anything going on around him. I know this year has been rough on JR healthwise, but damn, if you need the time off just take it. He had zero energy for that interview.

The other thing that surprised me about that interview segment was the involvement of BC Gold. I can't be the only one who thinks it's a little weird that BC Gold has this feud with Punk and now they're also roped in with Kenny. 

Overall good show and All In is shaping up into something I want to see, but it's just not something I'm going to pay for.

• Like 4

Last week's episode opened with a 1-2 punch that had me change the channel and not get caught up until yesterday afternoon, and that includes Rampage and Collision as well. This week's opening? A billion times better... But then that fucking Texas Chainsaw shit happened and yeah, I think I am going to be watching AEW recorded from now on. 

Two other things I remember: they mentioned Hattie B's, which I've only ever had once and desperately want again. Also, there was this really great camera shot during the Callis segment, where they went from one corner to Takeshita running in, to another corner and then Ospreay attacking from behind, no cuts. Sometimes the camera work with this company is a little too cute and brutally telegraphs someone popping up from behind or whatever, but this was a really slick way to do it and I enjoyed that.

Very much on the fence about getting All In and I think I've decided that I won't be picking up All Out. 

• Like 1

I think the only reason they didn't do a Cinematic match is that it had to deal with Picture in Picture during the dark first backstage half of the match. Otherwise a cinematic match start culminating in the ring would've been the way to go. Also glad to see my prediction of Callis bringing in Ospreay from 2 weeks ago panned out as exactly that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Very much on the fence about getting All In and I think I've decided that I won't be picking up All Out. 

I'll be ordering All In (even though I'll be pissed when the Young Bucks beat FTR) mainly because I get to see an AEW show live for the first time ever at a great time, 6pm on a Sunday rather than the usual stupid o'clock:

Dynamite: Thursday morning 1-3am.

Rampage: Saturday morning 3am-4am.

PPV: Sunday morning 1am-5am.

Collision: Sunday morning 1am-3am.

PPV: Monday morning 1am-5am.

You have to be hardcore/insane to do this. All Out will have to have something special on for me to double dip. Stupid having both a week apart.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1