DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/9 - 8/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

On 8/13/2023 at 12:30 PM, SturmCRF said:

Yeah, there's so much money in a Malakai singles run, especially a match vs Punk. I don't know what sort of physical state he's in, he always looks fine but from interviews you'd think his back was worse than Dalton Castle's. I hope not, because as much as I love the House Of Black wrecking people as a team, they all have loads to offer as singles wrestlers. And I want to see him entering the ring to Amenra again.

I've been assuming much of what you say here about Malakai Black. 

On 8/13/2023 at 3:23 PM, Matt D said:

I've got less time than I have things to write right now, but very quickly:

• Starks interview was solid and shows the very deliberate pacing here. With any other show from any other company we'd have some idea if he'd actually be managing someone or not.
  • I liked that one of the underlying stories behind Acclaimed vs Iron Savages was that the Savages kept trying to take it to the next level with high risk/top rope moves and paying for it. Otherwise, it had the hallmarks like Caster fighting for the AA. Bowens looked great like always. It's a shame the TV crowd didn't get to see the call-and-repeat stuff the Savages do because I still think that maybe, maybe might get over.
  • There were a couple of rough patches in the women's tag, I won't say that there wasn't, but overall I liked it a lot. At one point it felt weird Mercedes got up exactly when Kris yelled at her too but then Kris kept yelling at everyone and it went over the top well enough to work. The attitude was on point and that's what matters the most.
  • Everett rolling through and eating the clothesline was beautiful.
  • Brock Anderson got NOTHING against Luchasaurus, which made sense because Darby got so much, I guess. Darby vs Christian as a battle of two of the best TV Workers in the company is something I've wanted forever, so I'm pretty excited about it.
  • I half thought we'd see Starks back with Hobbs but I guess not. I'd say that Miro vs Hobbs is one of those matches that neither guy can lose, but Hobbs' year has more or less put him below Miro, unfortunately. He can lose on the way towards the babyface turn, I guess.
  • Speaking of babyface turns, I know it's so amazingly premature, but nine months down the line when Toni takes this character as far as humanly possible and turns with it, it's going to be a thing of absolute beauty.
  • I have stuff to talk about with the main at SC Monday night, but it's primarily about commercial breaks and how they structured the match. A lot of meat on the bone to go back to things in a month or two here. Good show overall.

Starks with one of his strongest promos yet. He had confidence, flow and something worthy to say. I too hoped this 'managerial license' would include a Hobbs re-pairing. A suspension from wrestling, but able to manage is not the best storytelling. The Hobbs-MIro segment later on was a bit flat. The timing of the promo and Miro's apperance seemed to hurt the crowd response. Goddamn it, it's Miro v Hobbs, and that should be exciting. Everybody wants to believe Powerhouse is a Main Event player, myself included, but this here further proved his mic game still needs improvement. Also, 'The Book of Hobbs' is not something worth referencing multiple times in an interview. This feels like a Spears-esque fail. Building Miro to something further up the card feels like absolutely the right play right now. Interesting seeing the Savages on TV. I think their gimmick could use a little more polish in developmental. It's currently on par with Tony Nese's Group Training. 'Hey everybody is Brock Anderson!' Brock looks like he's probably best spreading his wings on the Indies. He's not at a level to be trying to draw a number on a Saturday night. Arn's promo was a bit disappointing, as was Brock's timing on his jacket removal. Christian was great as per usual  tho. And Yeah, Christian v Darby is something to be excited about! The Joe squash was fantastic! Somebody show Powerhouse Hobbs this squash - that's how you effectively murder an opponent! Kudos to Andrew Everett. Punk v Joe at Wembley feels like a great idea. The Main Event was clearly a very solid bout, but another poor build to a worthy Main Event. I'm not generally speaking a fan of (the nonsensical/faux mysticism) House of Black Promo, but it would have made a huge difference if they were promoing the week before and, at the very least, in the opening montage. This was a particularly big match for them. Also, Brody King needs to find some consistency. He seems to slide from monster to mortal mode more than necessary. All that said, the match was fun. Buddy and Cash were the MVPs, and loved....

On 8/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, Matt D said:

When they cycled through to Punk vs Malakai Black, a CM Punk chant started, then the boos came down.

BUT, a second before, when the tag was made to Malakai with Punk standing there in the middle of the ring, the entire crowd buzzed for it. No cheers. No boos. Just excitement.

• Like 2

Collision is the best wrestling show on TV. It’s what Dynamite was at the start and I really missed that as Dynamite trended more and more towards sports entertainment. I still like Dynamite a lot and Dynamite being what it is and now Collision being what it is just further cements AEW as my favorite promotion.

I think WWE was sorta aiming to do this with Raw and SD when they went back to the brand split, but then they quickly became just the same thing on different nights. They’ve had stronger storylines up until recently so that has helped, but it would be nice if there was more distinction between the two.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What about her?  I haven't mentioned anything about the woman since she got injured and I've kept all discussion to NJPW threads. Sounds like you hold more grudges than Phil Brooks.  🙂

Wait, why are we calling her Sasha still when she hasn't use it in months but people refuse to call Punk by his "stage name"? Odessa, I get cause he's nothing but a darn heathen. 

This just screams I saw his real name on Wrestling Information Archive (is that still a thing?) in 2004 so let me continuously repeat it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This just screams I saw his real name on Wrestling Information Archive (is that still a thing?) in 2004 so let me continuously repeat it.

This is especially fun to do with Hangman Page, actually. 

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Wait, why are we calling her Sasha still when she hasn't use it in months but people refuse to call Punk by his "stage name"? Odessa, I get cause he's nothing but a darn heathen. 

I only call him Phil in case he still reads the board he'll know that him and I are friends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/13/2023 at 4:23 PM, Matt D said:

Brock Anderson got NOTHING against Luchasaurus, which made sense because Darby got so much, I guess.

It also makes sense because one guy is Brock Anderson and the other is Luchasaurus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I agree those two were a kick ass team, but I'm not so sure the Super Elite story had as much to do with their lack of involvement in the title scene as 1) Dash's injury in the middle of their feud, and 2) always being peripherally wrapped up in Jericho's stuff (unless something was reported at the time which I may have missed). Not that I necessarily even disagree with you - I think if that were to be the case (held back by Elite reign) you could probably make the same argument for Best Friends, Butcher & Blade, and a number of teams. Shit, FTR themselves probably.

I just always assume everything bad in AEW is the Jacksons’ fault. (Again being facetious, just in case my Little Friend couldn’t tell.)

And I call Punk “Phil” for the same reason I say/do lots of things; it pops me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm mostly just desperately trying not to work on my own deep-seated personal problems.

Holy shit do I feel seen…

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's my "The Spaghetti Incident?". I am so proud.

I completely unironically love the Misfits 'Attitude' cover, and will defend it to the death

Edit: Back to the topic at hand, I'm rewatching Collision because my girlfriend didn't see it Saturday, and shout out to Toni Storm!! It just hit me now rewatching her promo why she didnt have shoes on Rampage (the implication being she threw them at someone else... ) Well f'n done

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The Reddit doofuses are losing their minds even worse than I expected! This thread you linked is actually tame compared to some of the others I clicked through.

These live Collision crowds are about to be so spicy. 

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 1