DVDVR Message Board

2023 Wrestling RIP Thread

On 7/12/2023 at 4:44 PM, Cobra Commander said:

• Good Friends Better Enemies: the non-match with the Warrior

Speaking of Mandela Effect, did Warrior put Goldusts wig on and run around with it? Or am I conflating it with Goldberg and the wig?

Edited by caley

Trying to remember all of the late-90s “journalists” I used to read on a daily basis.

Al Isaacs

Micasa(?) I think his name was Mike Samuda

”Slammer” Peter Sciretta

Dave Scherer/Bob Ryder

Don’t remember if Meltzer had a website way back then or not.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Don’t remember if Meltzer had a website way back then or not.

I believe the first WON/Meltzer website stuff was the eYada stuff which was... shit... late 99?

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I believe the first WON/Meltzer website stuff was the eYada stuff which was... shit... late 99?

Something like that - I was pretty young, so I would always confuse Meltzer/Scherer, and couldn't figure out why Bob Ryder would be on WCW Live but not the eyada shows (we still had dial-up for most of the year, so I was mostly reading recaps on 1wrestling rather than getting to actually listen to either on Real player for more than 30 seconds at a time). Definitely no later than 2001.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Something like that - I was pretty young, so I would always confuse Meltzer/Scherer, and couldn't figure out why Bob Ryder would be on WCW Live but not the eyada shows (we still had dial-up for most of the year, so I was mostly reading recaps on 1wrestling rather than getting to actually listen to either on Real player for more than 30 seconds at a time). Definitely no later than 2001.

Didn’t 1wrestling have an insane amount of pop-up ads? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Micasa and OO would eventually merge to form Wrestlemaniacs, home of CRZ's recaps and other columns, including mine. That would turn into Wrestleine. 

I think Observer site started in 99. In the 2000 BTS when just did, Dave is still talking about website growing pains 

Yes, 1 wrestling had/has lots of pop ups. I

• Like 3

How was the 1wrestling "experience" comparable to the peak of the PWSpyware "experience"

but I think there's a bit of a tree for mid/late-90s wrestling internet people. Like someone got Sean Shannon into this for a few, and the Dave Scherers and the such

and searching to make sure I didn't accidentally deadname Sean Shannon (I didn't) leads me to find that Chris Hyatte died 3 years ago.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

How was the 1wrestling "experience" comparable to the peak of the PWSpyware "experience"

I honestly don't recall it being that bad under Ryder/Scherer - I feel like a lot of that stuff began under Joey Styles or Mike Johnson. But I was a kid, every computer we had was basically immediately destroyed with illegal music and games despite Lars Ulrich's warnings, so I may not have even noticed.

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably most everyone of Gen 1 started on rspw, I’d think. Unless they maybe started on AOL or Prodigy.

I'm 35, so I *think* that makes me gen 2. I was an AOL chatroom/board kid - lots of fond memories of rushing to the ECW Hard Core Cafe late Saturday nights to find out what happened at the Arena so I wouldn't have to wait a whole week for it to air on MSG.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Micasa and OO would eventually merge to form Wrestlemaniacs, home of CRZ's recaps and other columns, including mine. That would turn into Wrestleine. 

I think Observer site started in 99. In the 2000 BTS when just did, Dave is still talking about website growing pains 

Yes, 1 wrestling had/has lots of pop ups. I

"CLICK HERE AND BUY MY CD, OOOOOOH YEAH!"

• Haha 1

Is Don Lebarba still alive? He was the first “journalist” whose column I read every time, and second column I read every time period. The first column was by Mr Bret Hart. 

I read the other guys if their link had something I was interested in but I wouldn’t read just to read what they had to say. 

• Like 1