DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Like the Golden Compass first movie and no sequels.

Easier to quit than try to thread the needle of the whole "killing god" thing

• Like 1

Really looking forward to Killers of the Flower Moon even though I know I will be furious when I leave the theater.

Edited by J.T.

I was trying to wrap my head around it all and I found an article about how Gerwig had removed the idea of "Christian Morality" (which the author thought was the most important part of the novel as you can imagine) from Little Women and now I'm a little fascinated to see how this plays out.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Where on the Fruitvale Station scale? 

I feel that this will rank very high on the Fruitvale Station scale.  I cannot even watch the trailer without getting angry.

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Really looking forward to Killers of the Flower Moon even though I know I will be furious when I leave the theater.

That was my experience reading the book. It just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. 

• Like 1

There's a few big-ish changes from the book.

Spoiler

Coulter couldn't force push away specters in the book, but she has a huge moment and display of power in the penultimate or final episode of the series.

In the show, they give Asriel an angel to torture, the one that kills Baruch, that reveals god isn't in heaven and also goes to show that despite Asriel's noble intentions, he's probably evil at the most and incredibly cruel at the very least.

And I swear the series is very outward with Mary being gay and in love and the book I don't think was that specific. That's what I remember anyway, like there's more ambiguity in the book.

I personally loved that final season and so much from Mary's journey and the final episode just destroyed me. Just full blown box of tissues mess. The episodes that dragged the most were the ones...

Spoiler

covering Lyra and Will's journey to the underworld, which is I think 2 episodes in total.

My only other issue with the finale was Asriel's Independence Day speech. I watched it with a reaction of, oh, he's doing the ID4 thing, cool.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:44 PM, Zimbra said:

Easier to quit than try to thread the needle of the whole "killing god" thing

Back when the movie came out and somehow managed to basically avoid mentioning God or the Church at all, I was so confused on what they were planning to do with the sequels.

Then it bombed and it didn't matter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Back when the movie came out and somehow managed to basically avoid mentioning God or the Church at all, I was so confused on what they were planning to do with the sequels.

Then it bombed and it didn't matter.

They basically made a ton of changes to appease potential evangelical audiences who had no intention of seeing it that in turn alienated the dedicated fans of the series and killed some of the enthusiasm for the movie. IIRC they also changed the ending of the first book for no real reason. But that's Hollywood for ya.

I need to revisit the books, I got his follow-up and it was very heavy-handed and not particularly well-written high-school level atheist antagonism.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I mean, Roger’s fate in the first book tells you everything you need to know about ol’ Asriel.

That's...yeah, ok, that's fair. It has been so long that I honestly forget about Asriel: Child Murderer.

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

They basically made a ton of changes to appease potential evangelical audiences who had no intention of seeing it that in turn alienated the dedicated fans of the series and killed some of the enthusiasm for the movie. IIRC they also changed the ending of the first book for no real reason. But that's Hollywood for ya.

I need to revisit the books, I got his follow-up and it was very heavy-handed and not particularly well-written high-school level atheist antagonism.

Yeah. they were trying to chase that Chronicles of Narnia money and did it in the absolute dumbest way possible

• Like 2

So is Joaquin really short or did they decide to hire really tall actors? I mean actors have a rep as being short anyway. I just rewatched The Master (incredible film btw) and I didn't notice anything. 

EDIT: If you didn't know, Napoleon also had a rep as being short... thus "the Napoleon Complex". (I really hope I didn't need to explain that haha) 

Edited by Curt McGirt

42 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

So is Joaquin really short or did they decide to hire really tall actors? I mean actors have a rep as being short anyway. I just rewatched The Master (incredible film btw) and I didn't notice anything. 

EDIT: If you didn't know, Napoleon also had a rep as being short... thus "the Napoleon Complex". (I really hope I didn't need to explain that haha) 

According to Google, he's 5'8". 

• Like 1

The Napoleon is short thing came from the English not understanding the French units of measurement and political cartoonists ran with it. The French inch was slightly longer than the English inch and he was 5'2" under the French unit of measurement. Modern estimates of heights for Napoleon vary but a straight conversion from the French inch to the English inch would put him at about 5'6", which was the average height of the time.

This is one of my favourite historical factoids and I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd or 4th time I've made this post on here, I love when it comes up

• Like 8

Since I am a sad bitter man I am not upset this is happening to an Eli Roth movie (as much as I love the source material)

The Borderlands movie - which finished principal photography in June 2021 and has already undergone rewrites and reshoots and a director change now has a writer bailing

Craig Mazin (The Last of Us, Chernobyl) doesn't want his name on the project and is currently being credited under a pseudonym (Joe Crombie which I guess is the new Alan Smithee)

Oh and there still hasn't been a hint of a trailer