DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm conflicted. Is this stupid, ridiculous, sarcastic and funny enough? Because it seems like all of those things but just not going over the line for me to enjoy it. In any case, I'm sure it will be enjoyed by millions and become a cult hit overnight. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm conflicted. Is this stupid, ridiculous, sarcastic and funny enough? Because it seems like all of those things but just not going over the line for me to enjoy it. In any case, I'm sure it will be enjoyed by millions and become a cult hit overnight. 

You can already start putting it in streaming playlists with Speed Racer and Josie & the Pussycats. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You can already start putting it in streaming playlists with Speed Racer and Josie & the Pussycats. 

Well, I love both of those movies, so I'm good to go.

Side note: I know two groups of people planning to rent theaters for private screenings of the Barbie movie, so um... the excitement is very high for at least the circle I'm in.

• Like 4

On 3/9/2023 at 9:03 AM, RIPPA said:

No Hard Feelings

Trailer is Red Band for language

I... umm.... just.... no

New trailer for this load of trash. I cannot believe Jennifer Lawrence agreed to this movie. WTF. 

NSFW for language again:

• Like 1

Josie & the Pussycats is the greatest social critique since Dawn of the Dead.  Only Brandon Cronenberg's movies, Infinity Pool and Antiviral, comes close in awesomeness and scalding commentary.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tabe said:

You think she's hurting for cash or roles that pay well? 

After some of her duds I’m not sure she’s being offered Oscar type roles at the moment. Passengers, Mother, and Red Sparrow all being in a row wouldn’t be good for anyones career. 

Plus she’s listed as a producer for this movie. It feels like she wanted to do something less serious after giving birth, and if that’s what this is then I’m happy for her. 

Succession is the most overrated shoe ever. Well acted? Sure. But:

Spoiler

Dear god that last episode was brutal. The whole final board vote where Shiv brought up the fact Kendall killed a manservant? Maybe bring that up earlier when he is jockeying for the job and you are all at your mom’s house for a few hours settling in all of that?  Or how is Shiv, a political operator for a presidential candidate not so long ago, constantly played by people like Cousin Greg and Tom and the Swedish tech guru who also it turns out sucks at being a tech guru yet she went all in on siding with him.

Also: I actually loved the episode where they inadvertently cast their support for a possible candidate who is a fascist who may end democracy as we know it. But that just got dropped casually tonight as the regulatory stuff was magically eased and his election is up in the courts?

Also, if you are giving us characters who are awful and terrible don’t give us another “prestige TV ambiguity” give destruction.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tabe said:

You think she's hurting for cash or roles that pay well? 

I'm thinking that maybe she has her eyes set on something and the role is a way to pay for it. Or maybe she's just going into a bit of a slump and in a few years there will be a Lawrennaissance when she starts being pickier with her roles.

Not every creator can do everything for the art without thinking of the bottom line. I remember Sam Jackson said he made action movies partially so he could and finance things like the RedViolin. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LF2 said:

After some of her duds I’m not sure she’s being offered Oscar type roles at the moment. Passengers, Mother, and Red Sparrow all being in a row wouldn’t be good for anyones career. 

Plus she’s listed as a producer for this movie. It feels like she wanted to do something less serious after giving birth, and if that’s what this is then I’m happy for her. 

Passengers did big business regardless of whatever the critics said.

All I'm saying is I feel like she could do a money grab that isn't THIS money grab.  Like, surely there's something in her pile of scripts better than this excrement.  Unless the producer credit is worth an absolutely unreal pile of money on top of the acting gig or something.

You're all missing the point: she's got to do a movie like No Hard Feelings every so often so everyone remembers how quirky and relatable she is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Passengers did big business regardless of whatever the critics said.

All I'm saying is I feel like she could do a money grab that isn't THIS money grab.  Like, surely there's something in her pile of scripts better than this excrement.  Unless the producer credit is worth an absolutely unreal pile of money on top of the acting gig or something.

According to the movies Wikipedia page there were multiple studios bidding on the movie so I’m not 100% sold that this is going to be a dud. When I first saw the trailer before Scream 6 it got quite a bit of laughs too. Will it make huge box office? Probably not, but I definitely don’t see it being a Mother or Red Sparrow type flop for her.

11 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

You're all missing the point: she's got to do a movie like No Hard Feelings every so often so everyone remembers how quirky and relatable she is.

Do people still talk about Jennifer Lawrence like this? I feel like I just got out of a time machine from ten years to go and hopped onto Reddit. 

Her last two movies were both direct to streaming so harder to measure success.

Before that was Dark Phoenix which was estimated to have lost over $130 million 

Red Sparrow which was a minor flop/may have turned a small profit on home media.

Mother! which flopped.

Passengers which was probably hovering around break even after theatrical, depending on which budget you believe.

So yeah it's been awhile since she was in something that really made money for a studio.

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It's so hard to measure success regardless in our current movie-star crisis/IP hellscape. Not sure the death throes of the FoX-Men franchise is really a mark against her. 

No but it's certainly not a mark in her favor.