DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And that wasn't the only movie trailer I saw today that had Nazis in it

All the Light We Cannot See

Directed by Shawn Levy

Louis Hofmann, Lars Eidinger, Marion Bailey, with Hugh Laurie and Mark Ruffalo. And introducing newcomer Aria Mia Loberti.

Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel

Now THAT is a fucking trailer.

After rumblings this weekend that Killers of the Flower Moon was going to have a nearly 4 hour run time, Deadline says that the runtime is actually "only" 3 hours and 26 minutes

On 4/18/2023 at 6:59 AM, Craig H said:

EDIT: I can't even begin to imagine the dumb outrage some people would have today for casting Michael Clark Duncan as the Kingpin.

Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin was the only good thing about that movie. 

I seriously can't wrap my head around this line of thinking. Who gives a shit if Nick Fury was historically drawn as white? Samuel L. Jackson is fucking awesome. The only thing that upset me about Idris Elba playing Heimdall is that I would have preferred to see him get a bigger role. Because Idris Elba is fucking awesome. I couldn't care less about the skin color, gender identity or sexual preference of the actor playing a comic character. I just want them to be a good actor. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I seriously can't wrap my head around this line of thinking. Who gives a shit if Nick Fury was historically drawn as white?

These assholes are obviously not comic book scholars since we all know that MCU Nick Fury is based on the Ultimate Marvel version which artist Brian Hitch designed specifically to look like Samuel L. Jackson because Hitch wanted Fury to look like a badass.

Casting Samuel L. Jackson as Fury wasn't some "woke Disney" decision.  The mother fucker was already drawn that way.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

These assholes are obviously not comic book scholars since we all know that MCU Nick Fury is based on the Ultimate Marvel version which artist Brian Hitch designed specifically to look like Samuel L. Jackson because Hitch wanted Fury to look like a badass.

Casting Samuel L. Jackson as Fury wasn't some "woke Disney" decision.  The mother fucker was already drawn that way.

Trying to recall, didn't Jackson more or less even give the thumbs up on this since he knew it meant he would eventually get the role when it went to film?

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Plus Samuel L. Jackson just makes everything better. 

• Like 3

On 4/19/2023 at 1:02 PM, RIPPA said:

Godzilla vs Kong 2 has officially gotten its name

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

The first teaser:

So, either Kong is pissed off and spoiling for a rematch or that badass evil ape kaiju ain't Kong and plans on kicking the shit out of both of our favorite titans.

FWIW, there were a bunch of whiny bastards bitching about MCD being Kingpin in 2003. They just didn't have a Twitter and Facebook to be all centralized. But they were all over comment sections and comic book messages boards.

-----

I saw a trailer for that Wonder spin-off last year in front of something or another and I was just flabbergasted by all of it. A spinoff of Wonder? About the bully? But also a world war II story?

• Like 1

Since I posted that trailer - I just want to note the full context in that White Bird it is based off the graphic novel done by the author who wrote Wonder

So this isn't just Hollywood creating it out of thin air

Equalizer 3

Reb Band Trailer due to blood and light swearing

Dakota Fanning shows up near the near the end of the trailer so now my head cannon says Man on Fire and the Equalizer franchise take place in the same universe

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Equalizer 3

Dakota Fanning shows up near the near the end of the trailer so now my head cannon says Man on Fire and the Equalizer franchise take place in the same universe

You have a head cannon? And it talks? 

On 4/19/2023 at 1:02 PM, RIPPA said:

Godzilla vs Kong 2 has officially gotten its name

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

The modern use of "x" in so much stuff is just one of those things that makes me irrationally salty.  Especially studios throwing it out there like "hello fellow youngsters."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Equalizer 3

With the Latin American politics, crooked cops kidnappings, and Dakota Fanning all grown up, it almost makes me think that this movie is trying to be the sequel to an alternate ending version of Man on Fire..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Batman v superman ruined using versus for everyone. 

Using the "v" instead or the standard "vs" made it sound like a legal case.  "Your honor I'd like to reference the landmark 1986 case Batman v. Superman, in which it was determined that ordinary humans are well within their legal rights to drain a city's power grid into their super suit when confronting omnipotent otherworldly beings."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 4/25/2023 at 8:46 PM, Technico Support said:

The modern use of "x" in so much stuff is just one of those things that makes me irrationally salty.  Especially studios throwing it out there like "hello fellow youngsters."

To be fair to this particular use, Godzilla has had an "x" movie before, Godzilla x Mechagodzilla way back in 2000, though the official English title was changed to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

• Like 1

A Haunting in Venice

Technically could go in horror but it is the next Hercule Poirot movie

Written and Directed by Kenneth Branagh again

Kyle Allen (“Rosaline”), Camille Cottin (“Call My Agent”), Jamie Dornan (“Belfast”), Tina Fey (“30 Rock”), Jude Hill (“Belfast”), Ali Khan (“6 Underground”), Emma Laird (“Mayor of Kingstown”), Kelly Reilly (“Yellowstone”), Riccardo Scamarcio (“Caravaggio’s Shadow”), and recent Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”).

• Like 4